Having fun on our Hot Rod Christmas Ad (Teaser)
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

CoolHaving fun on our Hot Rod Christmas Ad (Teaser)

I know it's only October, but these magazine people are on my back! Having a lot of fun with this one

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    So if you feature someones car do they get free insurance the next year ?

Images
    That's a good idea.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Sadly we don't, but if this is yours, we might be able to organise a discount. We only use our own photos (or credit the photographer when used with permission), we do try to contact car and van owners when using their vehicle out of courtesy, but with the number of shows we attend both professionally and privately, we build up quite a mess of a library so apologies if this causes offence. If you PM me your name and postcode, I'll add a note to the system for if and when you call.
    Last edited by Brentacre; 07-11-2016 at 08:57.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Personally I reckon it's a bloody cheek to use a picture of a car to advertise your business without first contacting the owner and even more so when the car isn't nor ever has been insured by yourselves. The owner of this car didn't have a clue until he was shown the picture.
    Surely it's only right to use actual cars that you insure.

It's like me using pics of somebody elses work to advertise my business.

Images
    Due to the number of shows we attend as individuals (We're an office full of petrol heads first, insurance brokers second) it's not always possible to identify the owner of individual vehicles. We don't have any professional photographers, just staff who love going to shows who throw mobile phones around the week after comparing their favourites. This one was taken at Pendine Sands this year; this is our local show which my manager attends as a spectator every year without fail. We also work with the VHRA helping to support the scene and offering members-only discounts.

Back to the Ford, when it comes to advertising, some pictures are too nice to ignore. If we can identify the owner, we always contact them out of courtesy. We're not obliged to, and under ICO regulation, we're technically not even allowed to without their express permission (opt-in rules). That said, we use common sense and etiquette first when we can, I don't like hiding behind that clause but tracing owners can be near impossible after the event unless they have previously had a quote and left a phone number with the registration.

In respect to your comments regarding using someone else's work. If a restoration company, painter, etc who never touched the vehicle were to use the image as their advert, it could be seen as misleading if they didn't do the work themselves - I totally agree. We're an insurance broker however and our work is not visual, so use of the photograph cannot be seen as misleading in the same way; we can and do insure vehicles like the one in question so no problem. Some car insurance companies use Meercats (which they don't sell or insure) and another uses Iggy Pop (coming under fire as they didn't insure celebrities at the time, despite his script suggesting they did); we choose to show pictures of some of the most beautiful cars we find which represent the sort of vehicles we do, can or would love to insure.

If the owner is offended and would like to drop me a line directly, I can only issue an apology. We don't have his contact details and therefore didn't contact him beforehand. If he does consider getting a quote, mention the Custom Car Christmas ad, and as long as we're not already applying a club discount, we should be able to shave off a thank-you discount from the premium with no obligation of course.
    Last edited by Brentacre; 08-11-2016 at 12:15.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Is the UK getting/got like the US, why the fk does everyone want "something" out of "it"?, unreal. I would not give a fk if someone used a pic of my car, in fact, I would be bragging like hell about it ! LOL.
    ..and no, i'm not insured by them.

....Do I get a discount for sticking up for you?..............

Sent from my 20 year old laptop using 1 finger...........................................

Images
    Nothing for you 68roadrunner :-p But thank you. We do mean it only as flattery and don't mean to upset anyone, most feedback is generally very positive. Occasionally we do tread on a toe accidentally however.

If you're a VHRA member, or belong to one of the other clubs we work with, then mention it if you give us a shout as we do have special rates and discounts for some of the best clubs.

Official RnS Addict hotrod rick's Avatar
    Images

feel free to use my picture i dont mine
    DRIVE IT LIKE STOLE IT,

Images
    That is lovely, and thank you!

For our next ad, perhaps I'll just start a thread asking for pics, we just have to be careful of copyright, but it might be a little less risky than the above.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information