Trafic , Vivaro , Primastar ... what's the difference
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Images

Trafic , Vivaro , Primastar ... what's the difference

I'm lately thinking about buying a mid size van and started with a choice of Vito , Transit and the above mentioned . After reading lots of online reviews and stuff I decided the Vito may be a bit small and while the transit was ahead re: parts and repair costs and availability of used parts I do prefer the look of the Trafic/Vivaro/Primastar .

Can anybody tell me what differences there are between them or is it purely badge engineering ? . Any known faults, foibles or preferences I should be aware of ?... I'd be looking at buying a used one maybe 4 or 5 years old .

T.I.A.,
    Ron
    Champagne for my real friends,Real pain for my sham friends

My Intro

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    as far as i'm aware, it's purely the badges.
    company i worked for had a trafic, had done 180000+ miles & was still going strong, considering the lad that had it before me was a **** (needed glasses to drive, but didn't wear them & could barely see past the bonnet & was always flat to the floor).
    not sure if they share the same manual gearbox as the movano range, but they were useless, the service van we had went through 3 gearboxes & was needing a 4th when it went back & the parts van was on it's 2nd when it went back (3yr contract). we came to the conclusion, they didn't like running at full weight (which the service van did all the time & the parts van failed after a month long oil promotion, where it was running to full weight). the trafic etc is lighter, so shouldn't inherit the problem if it is the same gearbox.
    my brother has had 1 (think vivaro) for about a year & not had any problems, other than normal servicing

Semi Proffessional Prat sidspop's Avatar
    Images
    Images
    Don't!

Vivaro.
    Gearboxes made out of chocolate.
    Fuel pumps that disintegrate, and fill entire fuel system up with debris.
    Injectors that have to be spark eroded out of heads.
    Wiring looms that chaff across gearbox.
    Engine management units that get amnesia.

Need I go on?

Images
    i swapped to a trafic from a transit , found it to be excellent on fuel , handles well loaded or empty , nippy around town or nice on a run with its 6 speed box , cheaper to insure , list of plus 's goes on & on . but they are prone to speedo sensors failing , can break second gear if overweight , and take out key cover on your insurance as they are bloody expensive to get replaced if you lose or damage them . not as big as the transit either which can be a pain at times but i can get a 8'x4' sheet in the back just ..
    take a look around and just about every street has one somewhere so they cant be all bad ....
    Hot Rods Don't Leak Oil . They Mark Their Territory .

Official RnS Addict graingermouse's Avatar
    Images
    i had a vivaro for about 6 months and loved every bit of driving i did, about 10k. transits are ok, but vivaros feel more 'luxurious' to me.
    parts are reasonably easy to get and can be quite cheap,

my next van after my transporter,which is nice too, will be a viv if ive got the cash

Official RnS Addict supersmoothpunk's Avatar
    Images
    I had a 2007 vivaro which had about 10k when I got it and 90k when the company went under and the lease firm took it back. It was really nice to drive far better than the transporters imo and I never had any problems with it. I`ve started up on my own and would like another but to keep costs down I`m using an astra with 210000 miles on it.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    there is no difference,they are all ****.

Col
    Images
    Back doors open the wrong way, turning circle as big as the M25, crank sensor rubs on a water pipe, very narrow power band with 6spd (forever changing gear) Twin side loading door cut down on what racking you can install. Rather have one than a Transit though. 1st choice would be VW / Merc (I drive a Sprinter- excellent van)
    http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/signaturepics/sigpic2162_1.gif Now off the road for body off rebuild. Will have blown bigblock & 5 spd gearbox.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    The turning circle on sprinters are second to none. I would not buy a Trafic
    Best
    Neil

Images
    Thanks for all the responses so far guys , it's kind of matching what I found on the internet - the bigger percentage being in favour of the trafic/vivaro/primastar range .

I saw Andy Saunders today and he reckons the gearbox problems are down to people not following the gearbox oil change intervals strictly and it's usually found on 'local' delivery type vans that spend their lives in and out of lower gears but I did find some horror stories in online forums re: fuel pumps failing and injectors need replacement all too often .

I guess there are good and bad in all makes of vehicle , if you Google 406 estate you'll find plenty of tales of woe but I've had mine 12 years and it's now done almost 270,000 trouble free miles - still on the original clutch too

Keep the reports coming please

Cheers,
    Ron
    Champagne for my real friends,Real pain for my sham friends

My Intro

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information