Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Bellytank Lakester

31K views 44 replies 23 participants last post by  popmad 
#1 · (Edited)
Updated 15/9/10

I have always had a desire to build one of these. Following my first drag weekend at the HRD and an Ebay listing I thought why not just do it and try out a bit of racing.

The tank is from a Hunter and was from an Aviation salvage yard near Lichfield so for £300 I had a start.

The problem was that it is heavy and the overall diameter is 22" which makes it a bit of a squeeze for me and the engine I had planned would not fit within the circle. I was also not happy with the overall shape as the sides were parallel not the classic cigar shape.

So I moulded up a front quarter to start with in glass. which was over centre to make a larger diameter.

I then cut some semi circles and fixed them to a board on my chassis table.

Using sections moulded from the original mould and some wooden templates I built up the shape I wanted.

Then using about 18kg of filler I made the final shape.

I then divided the buck into 3 sections and made a mould of each part.

I could then make one complete half for the bottom.

I have bought some cds tube and can now start the chassis. Over Xmas I bought an Audi 2.6 A6 estate with a very sound v6 engine and box which should sit within the body profile behind the driver .

The plan is to run it at the Nostalgia Nats so a fair bit of work to do.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Bellytank Lakster

"The problem was that it is heavy and the overall diameter is 22" which makes it a bit of a squeeze for me ......"
Hmmmmmmmmmm..........A touch too much of the vin rouge and the eating out, methinks.
I got in it okay.........LOL:incheek::incheek::D

#3 ·
Now this really does look fun,and unbelievably your fitting this in around doing the model A, and your friends Willy`s coupe man when do you sleep!!! More to the point what you going to do with an aeroplane fuel tank that you don`t need! Bit big to keep tripping over I should think.What a blinding idea though, am I right in thinking this will be rear engined, opened wheeled with moon discs, salt flat racer. Good luck,not that you need it, it`s probably half done already :tup::tup::tup:

#8 ·
One of the guys I know in the Mob used a harrier nose and tail section from a 330 gallon wing tank and made a superb tot rod for his daughter. It had a small petrol engine from a compressor and trolley wheels (the same as a wheelbarrow but with decent tyres on). She got caught testing it on the hardstanding by an MOD policeman. He reckoned she was doing close to 35 mph before he stopped her. It was finally sold on Ebay about 21/2 years ago. I'll see if he has any pics left, if you want any inspiration?

#9 ·
It's probably a bit big for my needs Rich. Thinking more along the lines of a pushchair/stroller which wouldn't be powered (except by me pushing:D) so needs to be fairly small and light. Thinking glass might be the way to go.
Don't fancy laying up a mini version do ya? :pmsl::tup:

Janner, post some pics mate. I'm always in need of inspiration.

#10 ·
3/5/10

I moulded the top centre section from the mould I made and put it together.

The result was a 32" diameter tank but it looked a little too tall ( more like a Nile barge) so I cut 3 " from each side and stuck them back together thus reducing the height but not the width.

The Audi has been stripped out ( thanks Kris) we saved all the wiring loom, engine, box, steering, exhaust and suspension.

I put the engine and box on the chassis jig and using a part moulded rear end checked out how it would all fit together.

As you can see the engine is quite wide being a 90 deg Vee but with a couple of side blisters fitted to the body it should work.

I am building the tube frame from 40mm cds tube ( 2.4mm wall). I have bent a pair of bottom tubes with 45 deg kick ups to the gearbox onto which I have made mounts.

I am using a machine mart tube bender. So that I can make a pair of tubes that match I take the angle of the two ends and write them on the tube as I am working down the length, I can then bend the second the same. I find it easier to work with an inclineometer than one of those dial gauges.

I formed 2 belt line tubes by gradual bending to match the curve of the tank.

I then tacked it all together within the shell once I had fixed the bottom rails.

Put it back on the jig now I know the confines of the body I can finish it off.

#12 · (Edited)
14/6/10

I decided to build a Locost type front suspension set up rather than a beam using Granada spindles this also gave the same stud pattern as the Audi front uprights I will use for the rear. I used a Saxo steering rack which pivots from the centre and almost fits within the shell.

I have used Audi steering column, pedals, clutch and master cylinders to make it simple and keep the cost down.

The Audi front uprights are made from pressed steel so I cut them down removing the strut and welded some mounts on to create the rear suspension.

Not many pics I am afraid, I misplaced my camera for a week or so.

I have now fixed the bottom belly to the frame and started to cut the top skin down to fit.

I have made a steel frame for the front clam and used a boot latch at the scuttle line with a locating pin at the front so the whole section can be removed.

I have started forming the rear clam, this is how it looked on Sunday.

#15 ·
Original plan was for the Nostalgia Nats but it will not be ready, so hot rod drags for sure and maybe some RWYB's before then. Finally got the Tax and Log book for the Coupe so provided it runs OK I will be trying that out at the weekend.

Rich

#18 ·
Hi Kev
I made up my own VIN which was no problem, I then had an appointment for a DVLA VIC check that was booked when I took the documents into Bristol, 2 weeks delay, I waited in and when the inspector did not turn up I rang to check and they said we no longer visit your home you will have to bring it to Bristol, another 3 weeks wait. Inspection went OK and they said I would get an age related plate, 2 weeks later when I chased it up they sent the tax disc etc. The original reg was L26TAV and I asked if I could keep it or get another 6 character number which they did L51YMR. So just sorting a few items out and going to run it in primer for now and get it painted for Old Warden.

Rich

#19 ·
A friend with a 50E ( 100E pickup ) had to restamp his VIN as if the car is going to end up on a Q it needs a LO DVLA issued VIN . They wouldn't give it to him BEFORE he passed SVA ..and of course you can't take SVA WITHOUT a VIN :wanker:. I look forward to seeing the Coupe at some stage :tup:

#21 ·
I will update next week, still pushing to get it out ( unpainted) for HRD but it is going to be tight, messing with the coupe and gardening has slowed things down

Rich

#23 ·
I will hold you to that, I will get Ashley to get a couple of crates fresh off the production line.

#25 ·
sorry to be cheeky :)

have you still got the mould ??
would you be willing to lend , hire or sell it to me ??

cheers phil :)
Mail sent

#26 ·
Quick update on the progress to get it ready for HRD.

Front end is all complete and painted, just need to make a battery tray and connect the brakes/clutch

Gear linkage has been made using the shortened original stick and some rod end bearings U/J's and 19mm seamless tube, it rund down the side of the engine and over the gearbox to the actuating rod at the rear O/S of the box, gate pattern works out as original.

Fuel tank is made from 1.6mm stainless and is fitted into the only available space behind the seat. Capacity is about 6 gallons and will be fitted with a Nissan 200sx pump as the mounting on those includes petrol feed and return pipes and holds the sender unit all in one.

I have seperated out the engine wiring from the main loom which was not as bad as I was expecting, thanks to Ian ( Morecubes) I have been able to wire everything up and last night when I realised there is an imobiliser in the circuit and connected it up the fuel pump relay sparked up. This should mean that with the fuel system and starter circuit completed I should have it running this weekend. I have used the original down pipes and fitted Harley Davidson pipes out the back.

Everything is getting a squeeze now, the oil filter had to be fitted via a hole in the side of the body.

Still a lot to do but after getting some life out of the ECU a I am more confident about getting it ready in time

#28 ·
Pleased you are enjoying it

There is not enough room to run the linkage past the altenator and starter on that side.

Hand brushed primer I think.

Cheers

Rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.