Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

My 59 Pop Build

104K views 385 replies 52 participants last post by  KOBI-Dave. 
#1 · (Edited)
Well after many a year, the project is off and rolling, well, not really rolling yet, but I have high hopes it will one day, I think about 2 yrs time :-(

The first mock up of the rear end to help work out the axle size

One Jag Rear End, now stripped and cleaned, awaiting lots of new bits and shortening

Roof infill, ready to be cut once the roof is chopped

The DIY Spit works!

The Boss making sure I'm working

Bits of the body are starting to look ok after its stripping and acid clean

Paint stripper...What a horrid job

Poor old girls seen better days

Pop looked alright before I started

See less See more
#29 ·
Nice job you are doing so far Geoff, but would seem a bit early for doing a nice paint job on bits that haven't been fitted yet. Normally it is best to dry build the car with all suspension engine gearbox axles and chassis all done before really detailing anything as it will get all shitted up with grinding git dust and shit, then once done strip it all out and paint and detail. I know you end up stripping the cart a couple of times but it normally comes out better for it in the end, Please don't take it as a criticism but as an observation if you've not done it before.

Cheers John

#30 · (Edited)
Lol, Yes John completely agree, well back to front.

I couldn't work on the car because of the flooding problems here and I had time on my hands and it was in a thousand pieces so it needed to be rebuilt to do the first fit. Then I had a moment.. I thought can't work on the car so just do it and risk the consequences.

Back to the real build next week if the water continues to go down, I'm frightened to sort the garage out and then have to lift everything off the floor again if the water starts coming up again.

Hopefully I'll be back to a better order soon, but its nice to see what it might look like.

Thanks for your comments, at least it won't rust, well where its not chipped :)

Geoff
P.S. Bubble wrap and Card are my friends... I hope LOL

#32 · (Edited)
thanks, Etching primer, and 3-4 coats of 2-pack, once the builds completed and any repairs to the paint are complete, I'm thinking I'll add a few blue pin stripes to some bits. Oh, front wheels have just turned up, waiting for the rubber to be fitted and should have them later in the week thinking 195 x 50 x 16 so a touch over 23.5" Dia , also hoping to layup the wings this weekend.

#41 · (Edited)
First full day in the garage for a long time, had lots of bits to put together that I've been cutting and making over the last few weeks. Got a fair chunk of the new ISR chassis done, rubber mounted, easy release shock mounts for wheel changing. Last few bits to do and then a grind and cleanup.

Once it's finished, I'll make the outer ring beam (the pic only shows the idea, the planned is a bit different) which will be cut into the chassis to give the ride height I'm looking for.

#46 · (Edited)
Slow but sure, a few pics taken over the last few months.

Jag Rears painted over the winter

Front arms and bits painted over the winter

First mock up of the Chassis to IRS on the bench 3 weeks ago

Fabrication of boot hinges, door hinges, IRS inner chassis, and the start of components gathering for the front clip, new calipers, front hubs redrilled to 5 stub and capri vented disks

#48 · (Edited)
An other little step forward, I'm hoping the shims will arrive tomorrow to allow the build of the second side. I filled it with oil last week, I've now fixed the leak through the pinion splines, just the leak on the cover to fix, how does that happen when I sealed it all so well. :-(

About to order 4 GAZ 120/085 B12 with 175lb springs for the rear and 2 GAZ 120/085 B12 with 325lb springs for the front, does that sound about right?