Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Dvla biva v5 retention question

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  nobody 
#1 ·
I've got a customer who's got a sit up an beg pop , registered as historic etc ,but against my advice ,it's basically had a new chassis made up from box etc ...

You can guess where this is going , so 'if' (when) he gets caught out what happens to the V5 ? He's still got the original chassis etc , but I find it hard to believe they'll send the V5 back when he suddenly pulls out the stock rolling chassis like a magicians rabbit ...

I just wanted to check to see any if anyone knows ,as I've already been called a 'biva bore'

Cheers Phil :)

#3 ·
Engine swaps are now appearing to trigger V765/1 letters .

They'll want to see a stock car to get / retain his book on inspection, just bits aren't going to cut it .

I always suggest building in the basics of BIVA regardless of how it is intended to register it .It makes life so much easier if you have to try to go back and redo.

My question will always be WHY don't 'you' want to use BIVA ?

Bearing in mind there is already a Pop been put through that has won 2 Best of Shows ;)

#5 ·
Engine swaps are now appearing to trigger V765/1 letters .

They'll want to see a stock car to get / retain his book on inspection, just bits aren't going to cut it .

I always suggest building in the basics of BIVA regardless of how it is intended to register it .It makes life so much easier if you have to try to go back and redo.

My question will always be WHY don't 'you' want to use BIVA ?

Bearing in mind there is already a Pop been put through that has won 2 Best of Shows ;)
That's what I thought , they'd need to see a complete car not just a chassis ..

I've had a couple of customers phone me recently , one about a speedster replica that's 90% finished but hasn't been built to biva spec about how to register it .. And this guy with the pop believing it'll never happen , two ends of the scale ...

I agree if it was me I'd just go for the biva , I can't afford to build something that I might not be able to use , that would be plain stupid ..

#12 · (Edited)
Thanks Kev,

Certainly not missed the consultation but as it stands none of us know how its going to pan out so my question was really what has been happening very recently, so i can personally decide which route to take with a project, as the rules seem to be made up as we go along so trying to keep in touch with what is happening now.

And yes to issigone and scottie, most of us are fully aware of changes but as i said above we dont know the answers yet and what questions are being asked at the moment.

#14 ·
One thing that puzzles me here not re mods or swaps but re PLG to Historic.

Ive been restoring my VW camper on and off for 8 years .. Its a 74 and up untill recently its been PLG but with the now roll=ing age related thing it now qualifies as historic.. Its on sorn .. so why dont they send out a new document that says its historic, other than rust eradication, nothing as changed, same engine size, its even the same colour .... so what do I have to do with that, they havent sent anything to say it needs a new V5c saying its historic.... do I just tax it and they refund ? its a mystery...

#15 ·
One thing that puzzles me here not re mods or swaps but re PLG to Historic.

Ive been restoring my VW camper on and off for 8 years .. Its a 74 and up untill recently its been PLG but with the now roll=ing age related thing it now qualifies as historic.. Its on sorn .. so why dont they send out a new document that says its historic, other than rust eradication, nothing as changed, same engine size, its even the same colour .... so what do I have to do with that, they havent sent anything to say it needs a new V5c saying its historic.... do I just tax it and they refund ? its a mystery...
tax it at the post office.write historic in the tax class.the post office sends the v5 off and a few weeks later you get a new one back that says historic.nothing to pay either at the po

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.