Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: My "What Rod"

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images

I decided to craft a radiator shroud not so long back and it was perfect, however found out the radiator was not quite as good as i thought and had to get a bigger one so that one hangs around my desk without cause now.

I am planning to make a larger shroud for this radiator.

I am so luck to have the friends I have. Keith Herbert from Hillingdon Speed and Spares donated his old race-car rad' from his Pro-ET Mr Furyous Plymouth Sport Fury.

I would like to thank him for all the help and sponsorship with the Whot Rod over the build.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Now this weekend for some was a washout, however it was a winner for me. Armed with my trusted cardboard I grew two floor templates and a trans' tunnel cardboard mock up.

It took a few hours to cut them out then a day of manipulating the steel. Now I am the proud owner of a Whot rod with a floor and trans tunnel.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    I have been bust too making the door cards.

Now riveted together they are beginning to change the whole look of the interior. The design is now becoming reality.

This week i am working on the designs for a new shifter cover. I think I hear "will it have rivets" well yes it will.
    The shifter and handbrake mount will be in keeping with the new ides for the interior theme.

Here is the door and rear cards just put in place, they will be polished a little to give a semi satin shine.

Hope you are all getting those projects ready. I have a dream for this year, to get the car to the hot rod drags.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Hi all,
    am now looking to make the shifter cover. It was originally in plastic, didn't like this as I can't seem to take the easy route. AM caught up in my art in aluminium.

You know I am so pleased in the progress with the car. It is nice when you finally get to realise that this car is for you. I am not building it to sell. It is truly my mistress. Although I have the sanction of my lady.

The shifter and handbrake mountings are to be the last big challenge, as the structure has to take the forces of the handbrake tensions.

I am hoping in the next two weeks to have he both items mounted in place. The Driver seat has its mounting welded into the strong points in order to line up the controls.

I will update this thread as soon as I get some more work done.

I would like to that those who already are helping me with some of the bits i need.

Images
    looks cool as **** go for it man i like that attitude I like it so screw everyone else

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Thanks mate,
    I am just so happy with this build. I have had a Thames Van, Ford Pops and an Austin Gipsy too. They have never been completely what I wanted.
    This Whot Rod just evolves and it makes me smile everytime I see it.
    You know a big confession now, I sometimes take time out, cup of tea and just sit staring at it smiling like a Cheshire cat.
    It remind me of Christine lol.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    The story which surrounds this car, is a little unfortunate for me however, it drove me to create this moggy project.
    I was in the halfway position of building two rods: an Austin gipsy and a ford pop. I was building them at home in a standard garage, you know the type, you can’t get the doors open properly.
    The gipsy got so far then had to sit outside under a tarp’ whilst the pop was having it’s chassis made.
    A friend of mine told me he was moving out of his unit and it would be free for rent. Loads of room I thought. This was in High Wycombe on a little industrial estate nestled around the back of some lovely properties, perfect.
    There were various private concerns and hobby places there. I got very excited and my friend acquired this unit. The insurance companies were not so pleased however, most not wanting to insure it at all, the ones that would wanted a second mortgage.
    It did not matter nothing was to stop me and two others moving in. I was sharing the rent with the lad who acquired it. There was loads of space there and all my tools and worlds processions from the garage were moved there. All three of us had a fair bit of stuff there.
    Here is the last picture I had of all my cars there. The gipsy was moved to the front of the queue for work and it was a dream car, so different.

Then things started to go wrong, the next unit became vacant. A guy importing Japanese Tuner cars moved in. It was a strange event as he moved in late on a Sunday. It was the last time I saw my rods.
    I received a call at work the very next morning from the guy I was sharing from. The whole industrial estate had burned down; of course it was a wind up. But it was no wind up it had been torched.
    The story from the police was that the chain and padlock had disappeared along with the padlocks from this unit and one of the tuners had been moved. It had not been stolen but, the story is that if the thieves wanted to cover their tracks it’s good to burn the car.
    I left work and when I got there we were not allowed access. I could see the building was still standing; maybe my stuff had been saved. I was not allowed access until the crime scene investigation team had combed the area for clues. They told us that the fire had been so ferocious that it had gone through the units and then returned on the same path. Still I did not believe that my cars were finished.
    On getting access to the unit I could not believe my eyes……

I will not say anymore about it.
    I had two choices, to roll over and give up or build another rod. I was in the HellFire Hotrodders group and they all had a whip round and gave me money and spare tools out of the kindness of their hearts.
    Hillingdon Speed and Spares also did the same along with other friends.
    With the money left for the Gipsy engine I bought my Whot Rod and set about laughing in the face of adversity. I was a hard path to tread at first, but I was not going to be squashed in the dirt.
    This is why there are so many Phoenix in the panel work, as this came out of the vision in the flames. The Hot Rodders and drag racing fraternity have the ability to drive and motivate you even when you are having a ****ty day.
    I love the scene and my new car. If I can help others in anyway I can I will.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    I have two threads open but would like to transfer some pictures here. just to give a little of the story.

This was when I picked up the car, already with the roof chop and crazy rear window, Fiat twin cam engine and the wonderful Willys nosecone.

Then the real work started

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    I just hated the rear window and the way the roof bulged at the rear so this insanely was the first mission to change this.

The stages were thus. I made some windows out of polycarbonate plastic then made templates from hard board. From here transferred the markings onto the body and the faithful angle grinder became man's best friend. I had to put slots in the body to manipulate the angles between the roof and lower body. It was a two skin process to keep the original strength and more. But when finished I was able to look at the car again.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    The car was then put on the road for the last meeting in the Hot Rod calendar for me but I just had to get there. Steve a good friend of mine gave up all his spare days to help, along with Hillingdon Speed and Spares supplying parts at a very good price. It was flamed after a few of the group members had a few beers and thought it would be good to flame it for now, hmmm I wonder how I agreed. I got one journey out of it before the engine decided to smoke me out of the car, but it was worth every second.

Last edited by Andy Rudd; 12-05-2012 at 10:48.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information