Prefect handbrake
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

+ Reply to Thread
    Official RnS Addict
    Images

Prefect handbrake

Before I go off on my own furrow, making up handbrake cables and parts I though I would just see if one of you has already done something same or similar. I have upright Prefect with Anglia axle under the standard transverse spring. I want to use the standard walking stick handbrake lever under the dash. I want to use twin cables from the axle and already have suitable brackets fitted for this pulling the original type brake levers using 1/4" pins and clevises. So I will run the cables forward to a point roughly by the back of the gearbox as this is handy to mount the relay lever and tension balancing unit. I understand the relay lever should give additional leverage and length of pull to suit the walking stick. So, has anyone done something similar on this car or a Pop or an Anglia? and if so did you use a donor cable(s) or make up the whole thing from parts. I am ok making a cable as done many for big capacity bikes and the clutch cable for one of those is about the size I imagine.
    I have been searching the net and ebay for parts but nearest yet is Venills but the cable listed is only up to 2 or 2.5mm and I am thinking 3mm perhaps plus a chunky outer sleeve. Has anyone any suggestions for a supplier of cable and clevises etc so I can source the right bits? - Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect65 View Post
    Before I go off on my own furrow, making up handbrake cables and parts I though I would just see if one of you has already done something same or similar. I have upright Prefect with Anglia axle under the standard transverse spring. I want to use the standard walking stick handbrake lever under the dash. I want to use twin cables from the axle and already have suitable brackets fitted for this pulling the original type brake levers using 1/4" pins and clevises. So I will run the cables forward to a point roughly by the back of the gearbox as this is handy to mount the relay lever and tension balancing unit. I understand the relay lever should give additional leverage and length of pull to suit the walking stick. So, has anyone done something similar on this car or a Pop or an Anglia? and if so did you use a donor cable(s) or make up the whole thing from parts. I am ok making a cable as done many for big capacity bikes and the clutch cable for one of those is about the size I imagine.
    I have been searching the net and ebay for parts but nearest yet is Venills but the cable listed is only up to 2 or 2.5mm and I am thinking 3mm perhaps plus a chunky outer sleeve. Has anyone any suggestions for a supplier of cable and clevises etc so I can source the right bits? - Dave
    Looks like I will have to start ploughing soon on my own.

Pass the lump hammer Blown 100e's Avatar
    Images

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    This where I have got to so far. I will make my own cables initially using materials from JJ or Venhill and when I am happy with the result get a set made by the professionals. The compenator/relay assembly I will make and it will be constructed using a sandwich of 3mm steel plates as the bread. The filling will be a Triumph Spitfire relay lever pulling a steel strap with balance bar on the end which in turn has the two cables to the rear brakes attached. On the back axle I already have cable stop brackets in line with the Anglia handbrake links. The sandwich box will be attached in the area between the ladder bar cross member and the gearbox mount. The handbrake lever, the original umbrella stick, will be angled to exit more to the left due to new engine being where it originally passed through the firewall but this gives I think a better line of pull for the driver anyway. At the moment I am trying to work out the best ratio for the relay lever and guessing about 5:1. Advantage of the sandwich box is I can 'hang' it almost anywhere and it should be weather and dirt resistant.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information