How to get a Pro Street Pop through BIVA
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 79 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    Images

How to get a Pro Street Pop through BIVA

This is not meant to be a "how to" but it will hopefully dispel a few myths about the BIVA test.

It will be a slow to update thread as I have no proper idea as yet as to what I will need to do to get a pass certificate - it's pretty daunting just reading the manual and trying to understand the paperwork involved - but that part will be looked at later (once Ive understood it).

Some of my mods will be a bit odd, but that's because I'm altering a finished car - if I was doing it before it was painted & finished it would be much easier to make everything correct and still look 'cool'

I'll start at the beginning as that's a very good place to start........

This is what has to pass the test.

I'll start at the front and concentrate on the car up to the windscreen for tonight.
    The scoop will need to go as it will fail on 'restricted vision' (otherwise it would pass as all edges meet the correct radii - it unbolts so no issues there, though I may have to make a low scoop to cover the hole in the bonnet). The rest of the front is ok I think as it meets all the radius requirements.

Anyone who has passed the BIVA test, please let me know if I'm right or wrong on anything listed tonight or in future posts.
    Last edited by blackpopracing; 07-12-2015 at 22:01.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Compulsive chicken choker English Impala's Avatar
    Images
    I'd be arranging to have a few hours with "Portland Pop" & photograph pretty much everything on his car! I'm sure he said the bonnet spoon WAS a problem, but was solved by sanding a bigger radius in it (might be wrong here though). Regarding the side repeaters, could you mount these in the door mirrors like a lot of modern cars?

It must be soul destroying, but I'm sure once you get into it it'll start to fall into place. Sometimes a solution to a problem is so obvious that you can't see it, so hopefully with you posting any issues on here folks can offer ideas that might help.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    Sorry mark could you split the original post down so you have pictures and the question? Just5 think it will be easier for other to envision when asking the question.
    Arrgh! took me ages to type all that out! Lucky I'm a moderator & can change stuff!

This thread might get multiple posts for a bit till I can sort it all out.

I'll need to delete a lot of peoples replies to achieve this so sorry to anyone who has posted if your replies go missing - I'll try to put them into quotes instead if possible.
    Last edited by blackpopracing; 07-12-2015 at 21:55.

Images
    Indicators - I cant find anything about minimum size of indicator so I think what I have is ok for size, but they are mounted too low so will need to be repositioned to comply as well as fitting side repeaters (not currently fitted).

I'm thinking I'll mount the indicators below the headlamp off the headlamp trim ring flange bolt with the wire running through the headlamp pod. This is because I don't want to go cutting holes in my flip front - if it was not finished I would just mount them higher up in the wing. This is a side repeater to show the position, a 21w indicator which will be very similar in looks (but with a wider angle of view) will be used. The original indicator hole will be filled with a rubber grommet.

Images
    Side repeaters, I have made some using Ford E11 marked lenses with a 10mm ultrabright LED inside, this is so it is a flat unit as again I dont want to drill holes in the wing, it will be bonded on instead. I assume its not an issue to have a little bit of wiring showing as it runs around the wing edge?

Images
    Bonnet spoon - not sure on this one - might not meet the radius requirements? It can be removed for the test I suppose? I may be able to borrow one from a friend that could be smoothed over with a grinder if not & painted black.

Images
    Front splitter, probably won't meet radius requirements, but an easy fix with some adhesive 'U' shaped rubber trim over the edge.

Images
    Moving backwards we come to the exhausts, no issues here except the end of the header does not meet the radius requirements again, a new 6mm thick blanking plate that fits on the end of the header with a fully radiused edge and a sunken fixing in the middle should fix this I believe?

Images
    Door hinges - less sure on this bit, sticking out is ok but a bit unsure if they meet the radius requirements - might need to make some sort of cover or an extra top plate with a bigger radius if so?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpopracing View Post
    This is not meant to be a "how to" but it will hopefully dispel a few myths about the BIVA test.

It will be a slow to update thread as I have no proper idea as yet as to what I will need to do to get a pass certificate - it's pretty daunting just reading the manual and trying to understand the paperwork involved - but that part will be looked at later (once Ive understood it).

Some of my mods will be a bit odd, but that's because I'm altering a finished car - if I was doing it before it was painted & finished it would be much easier to make everything correct and still look 'cool'

I'll start at the beginning as that's a very good place to start........

This is what has to pass the test.

I'll start at the front and concentrate on the car up to the windscreen for tonight.
    The scoop will need to go as it will fail on 'restricted vision' (otherwise it would pass as all edges meet the correct radii - it unbolts so no issues there, though I may have to make a low scoop to cover the hole in the bonnet). The rest of the front is ok I think as it meets all the radius requirements.

Anyone who has passed the BIVA test, please let me know if I'm right or wrong on anything listed tonight or in future posts.
    There is a forward angle of visbility requirement . This is set up an apparatus that is essentially a wooden pantograph with spirit levels / angle finders included plus a length of string ! I can't remember off and but think all the details are include in the section ' forward vision' section . The apparatus ( think his name is George by the way ) sits on a block of predertimied size that sits on your seat . The piece of string goes forward at an angle and above that line must be no obstructions.

This means you CAN have scoops and blowers fitted providing the radii is correct and they are not in the line of vision. Note this is the laid down line of vision which may not agree with your true line of vision.

the height of this can often be varied to suit an existing car by raising or lowering the seat but you must watch how it affects the shoulder belt mount on the seat belt IF using lap and diagonals( see what I mean about one thing affecting another?).
    Rodder through passion not fashion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 79 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information