Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie hotrodney69's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

WOW !!!! Now thats what you call a proper reply to a few comments in this link. Mr ed Im more than impressed and astounded by your knowledge of the hotrodding industry, nice to know clever guys like you are still out there. 10/10

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm slagging the man but to be honest although well built I really didn't like his rods to street rod for me....

JOE
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The cars they turned out were fab .
    Could nt much like the boss because of the way he treated his workers.
    Treated them like **** , made them work 15 hour days , and gave them stupid
    deadlines to meet .

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW ! Ed Wimble !
    My Intro
    Insurance Repairs, MOT Work
    or Full On Restorations

Roberts Motor Bodies

Home of Henry Hirise
    Click to visit our website.

View the Henry Hirise Re-Build

When was the last time you did something for the first time ?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjob View Post
    WOW ! Ed Wimble !
    My thoughts as well, just made me sit up in my chair !!!

In case no one has said it yet, ...welcome !
    Last edited by Kimleonard; 25-02-2010 at 13:04.
    High tec rods.....elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    mr edd hotrod royalty on this little old site respect!!!!!!

cheers john

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great insight from Mr Ed; thanks a lot.

Whether you like his cars or not, Boyd was incredibly influential and one of the greatest designers of his generation I think. I enjoy the programmes even if they are stage managed. Every one has an impossible deadline that they manage to meet, Gabe gets the interior to trim out with 7 minutes to go and folk like Duane play up to the camera. It's the same on house makeover programmes like Grand Designs; people squabbling, tight deadlines and bad weather all make it more viewable, so the prog makers tell us.

On Boyd, it's a shame they don't tell us how much the finished products cost...

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    Well, Ed......

I designed the Aluma Truck, which was based on my earlier idea of constructing a fairly stock bodied rod built entirely from aluminum wherever possible, Body, Frame, Suspension, Axles, Wheels, Engine, Trans' & interior. There's actually a bigger story behind this idea.

The Aluma Tub was based on the same concept as the truck but using a two door '29 phaeton body style, I didn't actually design the tub, as far as I'm aware it was more a case of design by commitee for the TV series.

I initially rendered the Aluma Truck body with the stock '29 rear quarters and back panels, a couple inches out the roof, and a bobbed Model A bed. However, there were problems in keeping the body back panels flat so we opted for the curved form of the 1930 body back panel and the service car smooth side bed instead. I actually prefer it as it is now. I did the original Magneeto wheels specifically for this truck then they were put into production.

Going backwards, I designed for Boyd:

The "banana" uprights for the later Boyd front ends using the streamline A arms, and further wheel designs, 2000/2001

Various ideas based on my hidden suspension, wedge, modified track roadster concept, and other vehicles - roadsters and coupes mainly, along the same theme. Boyd wanted to build the wedge modified for years, but never did.

Also, some ideas for T, A, & B highboy sedans & sedan delivery's and, 400-A, B-400 & C-400 convertible sedans, all based on the aluminium monocoque chassis tub concept. but I kept all these and the wedge ideas to myself in the end.

The Aluma Truck, around 1999/2000

An updated version of the Speed Racer comic book vehicle for an intended Future TV programme which never happened, approx 1999

The Led Zephyr, loosely based on a '39 Lincoln fastback sedan (whoever came up with that moniker needs throttling), 1998

A number of design studies for Honda 4WD & people carriers. 1998

I did almost the entire wheel range for Boyd when he started up again in 1998. That's the elliptical big window style which every other wheel maker now has versions of....I wanted to bring back "real" hot rod wheels with big windows and fluid form to the centres - tough looking wheels with lots of eye appeal, like big window Halibrand Sprints & Speedways, or ET IIIs. Until then billet wheels had evolved into, more or less, flat centres with small odd shape windows and the design element concentrated into ball milled stepped designs in the spokes - the spokes had become the design focus of the wheel rather than the windows. I hated that as they were all immediately forgetable.

The second Cutaway painting of the Musselman '34 roadster AMBR winner, 1995

A painting of the Mitsubishi Coupe, 1994

The three spoke wheels for the Boydster 1 '32 roadster AMBR winner, 1990s sometime?

The first cutaway painting of the Musselman '34 roadster AMBR winner, 1983

The Boydsters:
    The actual "Boydster" concept originally came from me back in 1982/83, not from Chip.
    The original vehicle concept I had in mind, which was developed from a combination of ideas I had for a '29 roadster, and a '29 modified in 1978, was for an all aluminium monocoque roadster with a '33/4 style grille, using hidden suspension at the front, Porsche 928 A transaxle at the rear, streamline /airfoil shape control arms, full bellypan, and (to clean up the outside body lines), combining the grille, hood and cowl panels into one piece items in order to lose all those ugly vertical cut lines at the front of the car.

This was, in fact, a completely new concept at the time and was initially the design for a new car intended for Jamie Musselman (the 1980 AMBR winner).

Boyd didn't use any of the ideas from this concept for a number of years (Musselman found a B-400 convertible sedan instead, which he just had to have), until they built the Larry Erikson designed Mitsubishi Coupe, then the "Roadstar" '37 style roadster, based on my original ideas. Unfortunately for the Roadstar, they never grasped how the front suspension idea worked and used an airfoil shape swing arm layout instead (very bad idea). The idea of getting rid of the grille/hood/cowl vertical cut lines at the front of the body, however, spawned a whole new style which later evolved into the Boydsters, then into those awful jelly moulds - a bridge too far in my opinion, and completely missing the point of my original concept.

I've actually been designing for Boyd on & off from the early days, since around 1980 or 81 - almost as long as Thom Taylor as it goes, and for more years than Chip Foose. Boyd often asked me for input on other people's designs, i.e. try to improve them, and I know he gave my ideas to others for their input, but I wouldn't go along with that.

As for the TV show: Keep in mind it was just that - a TV show, with a preconceived narrative for each episode which relied heavily on ongoing arguments, dramas, time schedules and cockups to keep it controversial. No doubt this was all based on enhanced versions of real events but, lets face it, no hot rod shop could survive too long if this were real. I dare say the TV show became the priority over the hot rod shop at the end, as it probably had to.

I last saw Boyd in October 2008 and he was looking pretty poorly then, didn't expect it to be the last time though - he was a pretty tough old bird.

Apart from Boyd, Boyd Jr, Jo, Greg and Dianne, I knew Duane, Mike, Roy & Charlie plus the guys in the wheel shop, and actually they were or still are all ok guys with their own odd nuances and character - just like the rest of us, and I guess every one of us is a knob in our own way - right? But we're not all on TV to be scrutinized, are we?

Undoubtedly, fame got to some more than others and egos must have been distorted & distended because of it. I could always have a great laugh with Duane anytime as he was always up to mischief. Mike is sharp as a tack with autocad and CNC machining, same with Roy and the metalshaping.
    WOW

I feel honoured.

Ed, thanks for taking the time to post up on here. As has been said, welcome to Rods 'n' Sods, hope you enjoy it here
    Meep Meep.
    My Intro

Rest in Peace
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunna View Post
    WOW

I feel honoured.

Ed, thanks for taking the time to post up on here. As has been said, welcome to Rods 'n' Sods, hope you enjoy it here
    .....And so do I, no second hand information, no spin just the facts straight from the horses mouth.
    (Not a Mister Ed pun, honest Ed).

Rog.
    If some's good, more's better and too much is just enough

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dan Sobieski has his own rod shop and Jo coddington has bought back the wheel business.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information