Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  1
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Anybody near Wembley Stadium?

So, I have to drop some folk at Wembley Stadium for a concert next weekend (and pick up afterwards). Not really clear where the drop off/pick up point is,(some forums suggest Yellow Car Park) or if there is anywhere most suitable.
    Tube isn't really convenient from our hotel, so it has to be by car - any advice & thoughts appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Poncho - Are you just dropping off and picking up, or do you need somewhere to park during the concert as well?

There are usually a lot of restrictions in place around the stadium on event days that causes a lot of traffic.

The key to meeting up afterwards is avoiding the crowds going to Wembley Park station.
    ( As this becomes a one way system that you can't get out of once you are penned in. )

How long / far would they be willing to walk to/from a meeting place?

Also do you know what section of the stadium they are in?

I live just a few miles from the stadium, so should be able to help.

Cheers, Paul.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Paul, so we are driving down from Yorkshire and staying at Travelodge, London Park Royal which is Western Ave, Acton (about 4 miles south east of Wembley). The girls are going in entrance P.
    I hoped to drop them off - shouldn't be hard as I suspect traffic won't be moving much - then nip back to the hotel for a bit. It's the picking up after that's tricky. If it's a matter of walking a mile or so to the car that won't be an issue, just don't want to miss them in the crowds. Thanks for your help, Nige

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nige,

Just had a quick look and Entrance P is near the White Horse bridge which is usually less crowded than the Wembley Park side.

So I'll try to take some photos in the next few days and post up a few options for you.

Cheers, Paul.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks very much again Paul, yes P looks to be on the south side. I'll have to owe you a beer for this! Nige

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Poncho/Nige – I made a quick trip around the stadium earlier today, so I hope the following makes sense.

I’m sure SatNav or Google Maps would cover most of this, but just in case…

Drop off
    From your Travelodge, you will join the A40 heading into town, before taking the first major slip road on your left which is traffic light controlled to allow a big U turn back onto the other side of the A40 heading West.

Keep on the inside lane and at Hanger Lane take the slip road off to the left sign posted N.Circular A406 and follow the Hanger Lane Gyratory around until you reach the exit for the A406 North also sign posted for the Neasden Temple and Wembley.

The next left you want is sign posted A404 (Harrow, Wembley, Harlesden) and at the top of the slip road, take the left lane and turn onto the A404 (Harrow, Wembley, Sudbury).

Note: There is an intermittent bus lane on the left along this road that is in operation from 7am to Midnight on event days.

The A404 / Harrow Road can be very slow moving on event days, so allow a lot of time. You will be getting close by the time you reach a parade of shops that starts with the Bank of India on the left and LCR car rentals on the right. This row of shops lead up to a set of traffic lights where the road goes in two directions. The right lane being for a right turn only into Wembley Hill Road which will bring you closer to the stadium, or the left lane for straight on only onto the High Road to bring you into Wembley town centre. The right turn is controlled by traffic lights and this can lead to a queue of traffic. The good news is that by the time you get close to this parade of shops you are already within walking distance, so you have a few drop off options:

If the traffic is moving freely - Take the right lane and turn right at the lights, you will pass a Fatburger on your right. Drive across a railway bridge heading to a set of traffic lights. The road your passengers want to take is South Way which is on the right here, between the blue and green hoardings. However, this will be closed to traffic on event days.

So your passengers can either hop out if the lights are red, or you could drive straight across the lights and nip into the bus stop on the left just the other side of the lights. On foot, they need to head down South Way, keeping the IBIS Hotel on their left and continue along the pavement until they reach the stadium and they will be close to Entrance P.

Unfortunately, there was also some road works on Wembley Hill Road at the junction with South Way today, with temporary traffics that were causing chaos when there was no real volume of traffic. Note: I’m not sure if they will still be there at the weekend.

Either way, if there is a long queue in the right lane of the A404 / Harrow Road then either:

- Let your passengers out when you can see The Arch (bar/dining/hotel) on your right and they can walk from there (see directions for pick up options below). Unfortunately, I took this photo facing the other way, but this is easy to spot at the end of the row of shops that start with LCR.

- Avoid the right lane queue completely and take the left lane instead and go straight on at the lights, past the Safe Deposit Centre on the left and then turn sharp left into the St.Joseph’s church car park after you pass the pedestrian crossing lights. Again, they can walk from there (see below).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Pick Up
    I would use either The Arch or St.Joseph’s church car park for the pick up meeting point based on the fact you will be just parking temporarily and also staying in the car which will allow you to dodge the traffic wardens if required (event days are a HUGE money earner for Brent council.)

The directions are initially the same for both locations.

This is Entrance P

With the Entrance / Stadium behind you, look right and this is the direction you are heading.

At the end of a row of Portaloos, there are some black and yellow bollards on your left, next to the pavement along South Way (which is closed to traffic on event days).

Once you are past the bollards, head along the pavement down the hill towards the Premier Inn on your right.

Keep going down this road with the Ibis Hotel on your right.

To avoid getting caught in the crowds queuing for main line Wembley Stadium station just continue along South Way to Wembley Hill Road and turn left at the Traffic Lights, where California Kitchen is ahead of you on the other side of road.

Continue along the pavement past the green hoarding seen in the first photo, over the bridge and past the Fatburger on your left.

End of part 1…

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Part 2

Pick up Option 1 – The Arch (bar/dining/hotel)
    Continue past Fatburger and the whole parade of shops on your left towards Harrow Road, past the public toilets with green doors on your left and continue towards the Arch, but turn left into Oakington Manor Drive before you reach it. This is a one way road from Harrow Road, but returns to two-way just in front of the Arch.

If you are staying in the car, you might get lucky and be able to grab the space where the two way street ends (double yellow lines), or park nearby ready to return here when your passengers arrive.

You will then have to take the back roads around here to re-join the Harrow Road heading back towards North Circular.

Pick up Option 2 - St.Joseph’s Church car park
    There is a William Hill’s next to Fatburger with a pedestrian crossing onto a ‘triangle’ island in between the roads. The Church and car park are straight ahead and with a bit of luck, you will be allowed to double park there until your passengers arrive. Leave the car park via the exit next to the Safe Deposit Centre and take a hard right to re-join Harrow Road heading back towards North Circular.

Waiting Around
    Just in case you didn’t know, but the Ace Café is between the stadium and your hotel, although I am not sure what is on there this weekend. So that might be a way of spending a bit of time.

Just left me know if you have any questions.

Good luck, Paul.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Paul, this is top stuff thank you very much, it is really appreciated. I will be studying this in detail this evening. Great to see you haven't been locked up as a terrorist for all these surveillance photos
    The Ace café is a great tip too, might see if we can drop in there once we have dispatched the teens! I notice you have a cool camera vehicle too! If I can ever return a favour (northern phrase book etc) let me know.
    I will let you know how I get on after the weekend as long as I don't throw myself from the car after six hours of boyband CDs..Nige

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nige - No worries, happy to help.

You might joke about terrorists, but they have recently added extra barriers and screens next to the road.

Which is why I decided it was best to take my "cool" car.

This was me parked opposite Entrance P before I asked the guys on security if I could walk inside the barriers to take the photos.

Hope it all goes well and I'd recommend some earplugs if you are being forced to listed to BTS for the whole journey.

Cheers, Paul.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers Paul, I've already had to endure BTS from here to Cornwall so I am pre conditioned Appears it's hot rod night at the Ace and walkable from our hotel too! Cool motor btw EDIT: think I got the wrong date for hot rod night, but will have a wander down anyway, never been to the Ace!
    Last edited by PONCHO; 01-06-2019 at 06:05.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information