Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  1
+ Reply to Thread
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone seen "my" Pop?

Hi Folks.

Back in the early 1990s I was building a Jago 1932 Ford Sedan, but with lack of money and little tech knowledge, the project stalled. Old story! Big ideas. Small assets! I found a guy selling a complete and running 1953 Ford Popular in orange with blue graphics. He wanted a new project. I wanted a running car, so a deal was done.

I had some great fun with the Pop, but as so often happens, the kids were getting bigger, there were only two seats in the car and there were the inevitable arguments as to who should go out with Dad, so it was sold and I went back to my first love, 1950s American cars. No problem with space from then on.

I often wondered what happened to the Pop as it was well made and really looked the business, unlike so many of the UK-built examples from the mid and late Seventies. Significantly, the body had it's original rear wings. It had a 2.5 or 3 litre Ford V6, I forget which, with a dummy blower on top acting as a high-rise manifold and a four barrel Holley on the top of that. It had HA Viva IFS, a narrowed 3 litre Capri rear axle and Centerline alloy wheels all round.

The story went that the builder stomped the throttle soon after completion and the additional performance from the operating supercharger blew a rod through the side of the block. He rebuilt the engine, machined the rotors out of the superchargers, but left the belts operable, so it had the look and the sound, without the power. It certainly few and was as reliable around town in heavy traffic as on the motorway. A credit to whomsoever built it.

Does anyone know what happened to it, or where it is now? Just curious. I've never seen it again since I sold it and I cannot now recall who I sold it to or what part of the country he was in.

As a postscript, I gather my Jago Deuce Sedan was completed to a high standard and was stolen only weeks after it was finished, never to be seen again! A real tragedy!

Thanks in advance your your help people.

Richard

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is the reg on the Pop NML 732?

Was that the Transit axled Jago Deuce ?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Pop reg seems to read NRO 732. Sorry, it's along time ago and the number plate was one of the reflective ones, so it's not clear from the few photos I took at the time.

The Jago Sedan had a transit axle, if I remember correctly. I have lots of photos of the build to the point we got, but all bar the attached are on slides and have yet to be digitised. Not high priority at the moment.

5. Likesscottie liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember the Jago axled sedan that went missing from Fleet Services never to be seen again.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe it's NRU732, I have pictures of it in blue, green and black.
    If you pm me your email, I'll send them to you as I don't seem to be able to upload on here any more.
    Norfolk 'n' good but Suffolk 'n' what.

sjb
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im sure you brought that Pop down Watford model show and im sure i remember the 32 in Street Machine gararge scene

PS ive definetly seen pics of the Pop in other colour.
    Last edited by sjb; 12-12-2019 at 17:05.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am also pretty sure it is NRU 732 and if it is the plates up for sale at £2100.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I'm pleased people remember it, so it was worthwhile asking on here. Let's hope we get more info' in the coming days. I am claiming no credit for anything with that car. All someone else's work, but I remember it as a genuine American style hot rod that actually worked.

I did take the Pop to the Watford Model show. If fact I took it most places as the wife of the day had the other car! I was a member of the model club for several years when model car building predominated and I was writing Small Talk for Street Machine. Happy days!

I'd forgotten that the Deuce went missing from Fleet Services. It was black when it was finished. A good looking car.

Hurnleft, I'll pm my details. Thank for the offer.

Richard

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank for the pictures. So, anyone know what happened to the car after I sold it in about 1991? I replaced it with a 1956 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sedan and I completely lost track of the Pop at that point.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information