Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  499
+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie Austin Martin's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by heavychevy View Post
    Who fought for Britain during World War II?

The British Empire and Dominions raised a total of 8,586,000 men for military service
    More than 5,000,000 came from the British Isles
    1,440,500 hailed from India, while 136,000 came from South Africa
    Of those who fought 629,000 were Canadians
    413,000 came from Australia and 128,500 from New Zealand
    More than 134,000 travelled from other colonies, including some 10,000 from the Caribbean

Source: BBC History
    How many of the Indians would have fought for the British, had Churchill not agreed to India's independence, something that Churchill bitterly regretted? (source Churchills memoirs)

How many Indians fought outside India, protecting their homeland from the Ravages of the Japanese? not a very nice thought, but I do wonder what would have happened to India if they had sided with the Japanese.

I was thinking more of people of north and central Africa, and the West Indies when I said the poppy had little relevance; I used to take my aeroplane project up to Hendon RAF museum, ( on the Battle of Britain weekend) the ethnic mix in that area is diverse to say the least, some used to come for a walk round on the Sunday as it was free entry, they were largely uninterested in anything within the museum grounds other than to sit on the grass field which didn't have either a football match going on, or dog **** everywhere.

I did speak to one lady of West Indian origins, she said about the spitfire "such a beautiful thing, such a shame it was made to kill" in the modern day context, she might be right in that opinion, but seventy plus years ago (as it was then) the Spitfire and the Hurricane were the only things that stood between cities like London and total destruction by the Luftwaffe (like Warsaw)
    the West Indies wasn't a war zone.
    Just a passer by as you might say.

2. Likesseantoole5 liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    Whilst we are on the subjects of Nazis ( you started it...no we didn't....) please try to remember that the holocaust was also not purely a Jewish catasprophe . Often sold as a crusade against the Jews ( which was done by propaganda to unit a divided nation ) many other races and even non conforming Germans met their death in gas chambers

That's IF it ever happened as according to other who are alos trying to rewrite history it didn't .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocaust_victims

Lets also not forget other countries that have used ethinic cleansing in our lifetimes.

Even the Muslims can't agree which of themselves is correct . Shea vs Sunni.

Where there's a difference there's an opportunity to fight.

Thta's
    Indeed the Nazis/Germans seemed to hate almost everyone, somehow not the Japanese, or the Italians , or ironically the British! but Hitler especially hated Americans, he considered them a race of Mexicans and Jews and of course they hated Black people; in about 1939 count Basie and his band toured France and some of the other European countries, they were received to rapture in all countries except Germany, where they weren't allowed off the train, held by armed guards. (a lucky escape)

I've seen sources that suggest the deaths from the holocaust may have exceeded 10 million Jews alone; it should be remembered that bad as the Nazis were, they didn't invent anti Semitism, indeed that goes back at least 100 years before, the Kaiser was anti Semitic as was Wagner ( the composer) I believe there was a long standing law prohibiting Jewish people from owning land in Germany

5. Likesseantoole5 liked this post
    American Truck importer v8.jimmy's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by roscobb View Post
    Rant coming on...........I've come to the logical conclusion that when the major part of 'lockdown' ends (4th July - next weekend) the very places you don't want to even think about going to (at least for a good many weeks) are pubs and restaurants - people are going to be going absolutely crazy - judging by the lack of social distanced being increasingly ignored + the pubs and and eating places having far fewer tables and restricting the numbers of punters + so many people who have been 'starved' of chill/cook meals and booze for three months............its just seems like a major recipe for trouble - can see lots of disputes between people trying to get in to places with the staff and then probably fighting amongst themselves to get in to the places. And it seems that many places will be charging way over the top compared with pre-lockdown and make Joe Public pay for the profits they have lost over the last few months ' 'kin cheek! they deserve to go down the tubes...
    I'll stay away for a while, just like the tip, you can't get near it yet, still queued out from 7am till 6pm every single day.
    However, restaurants will have no choice but to increase prices as they have fewer heads per working day to feed, due to distancing regulations. Their overheads will still be the same, but for less punters. Same with airlines and hotels. Get used to paying a bit more, and, in reality, probbaly what we should all have been paying in the past if any business was supposed to survive, I mean, 3 course for £14, 2 courses for £12, yes you could make it at home cheaper but if you want to eat in a restaurant then that owner has huge overheads to cover to give us somewhere to go out of the house to eat.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by v8.jimmy View Post
    I'll stay away for a while, just like the tip, you can't get near it yet, still queued out from 7am till 6pm every single day.
    However, restaurants will have no choice but to increase prices as they have fewer heads per working day to feed, due to distancing regulations. Their overheads will still be the same, but for less punters. Same with airlines and hotels. Get used to paying a bit more, and, in reality, probbaly what we should all have been paying in the past if any business was supposed to survive, I mean, 3 course for £14, 2 courses for £12, yes you could make it at home cheaper but if you want to eat in a restaurant then that owner has huge overheads to cover to give us somewhere to go out of the house to eat.
    I wonder if this will be like turning the clock back. Those of an age will remember when going out to eat was a rare treat for somebody's birthday. Travel by aircraft was again a luxury, before the advent of mass charter flights and then the cheaper operators. By and large, you eat out for the social experience and atmosphere. , if it's not that you might as well eat at home at a far cheaper price. I'm lucky enough to have a wife that's a brilliant cook! I can't see myself going out if all the tables are separated by plexiglass, and when I'm not entirely sure that the chef has washed his hands the requisite amount of times, or isn't running a temperature.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Martin View Post
    How many of the Indians would have fought for the British, had Churchill not agreed to India's independence, something that Churchill bitterly regretted? (source Churchills memoirs)

How many Indians fought outside India, protecting their homeland from the Ravages of the Japanese? not a very nice thought, but I do wonder what would have happened to India if they had sided with the Japanese.

I was thinking more of people of north and central Africa, and the West Indies when I said the poppy had little relevance; I used to take my aeroplane project up to Hendon RAF museum, ( on the Battle of Britain weekend) the ethnic mix in that area is diverse to say the least, some used to come for a walk round on the Sunday as it was free entry, they were largely uninterested in anything within the museum grounds other than to sit on the grass field which didn't have either a football match going on, or dog **** everywhere.

I did speak to one lady of West Indian origins, she said about the spitfire "such a beautiful thing, such a shame it was made to kill" in the modern day context, she might be right in that opinion, but seventy plus years ago (as it was then) the Spitfire and the Hurricane were the only things that stood between cities like London and total destruction by the Luftwaffe (like Warsaw)
    the West Indies wasn't a war zone.
    I don't know much about India in WW2 or otherwise but this is interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_in_World_War_II

87,000 died fighting for Britain and it would seem unfitting to denegrate this sacrifice by questioning their motivation.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets just say that an awful lot of people died in vain, the poles (ironically) felt particularly let down and abandoned by Britain post war ironic because of course the war started because Britain and France together with the US were charged with maintain the Polish borders, as it was re drawn in the treaty of Versailles; the US abandoned the task, and the rest is as they say history.

Many people blame Churchill for this, but in reality he wasn't even in power when the Russians walked into Poland; and as for the Czech's they were systematically executed (again by the Russians) on their return home

We maybe well off topic here, but people are defacing statues, monuments and even graves, in the name of this protest, nothing is sacred, much of it done by ignorant whites ; the old adage "those who fail to remember the past are doomed to repeat it's mistakes in the future" comes to mind.

10. Likeskapri liked this post
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    We let down the Poles big style. We gave them the impression we would back them up in the Warsaw Uprising against the Germans. We didn't and Warsaw was wiped out. The Russians didn't help either even though they were only just outside the City. We let them down at Yalta despite Churchill's best efforts. Effectively, FDR gave Poland to Stalin. We let them down at the end of the War. The post war Labour govt had benevolent feelings to Uncle Joe so sent back Poles, who'd fought with us in the army and RAF, to what was at best life in a gulag. I went to school with sons of those who managed to stay. Generally, a hard working people and I had no problem at all with recent immigration from Poland, as I felt we owed them.

12. LikesPaul L liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think context is important again here, after six years of war and virtual starvation, this country was bankrupt, and the Labour govt that had snatched power from Churchill (notwithstanding the fact that it was essentially a coalition govt) by offering a land fit for heroes (or some other ********) was all over uncle Joe like a bad rash; I don't think we as a nation had anymore to give (although the Americans thought that they might just squeeze the last few drops, demanding as a term of yet another loan that the pound be replaced by the dollar as the international trading standard, and the odd strategic piece of land also.

I see on the news last night it's Belgium's turn to face it's colonial past, with a black guy demanding firstly an apology and then reparation; we never got reparation from the Germans, and as a consequence were still paying off loans to the US as late as 2010

Reminds me of yet another adage "not everyone that ****s on you is your enemy, and not everyone that gets you out of the **** is your friend"

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's been said that if you had to have a colonial master, Britain was as good as any. The Belgians were a tad more authoritarian in the Congo, so this could be one to watch. Having said that we were all at it - France, Germany, Portugal, Netherlands, and Italy made up for lost time in Istria, Libya, Abyssinia etc. Spain in the Americas. It'll be interesting to see if it stops at colour, as the Jews would have a case against most central European countries; the Irish still talk of the Potato Famine; Scots, the Highland Clearances etc

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    FFS, Now there are plans for a statue of the 1st Black football player...Having just read the info it seems that he was denied the possibility to play for England because of his colour now this should never have happened just because of skin colour ,absolutely ridiculous, yes I know it was different times back then but still not an excuse, but a statue, really
    Last edited by magneto; 01-07-2020 at 12:38.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information