Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Builder / Building Regs Advice

Need some help please, my mums selling her house and the buyers full structural survey has flagged up an issue. The surveyor told my mum on the quiet so she's got some time to sort it. In 1992 my dad (now passed on) removed a portion of a chimney breast in an upstairs room. It's about 12" x !2" which was taken out. The same section up in the loft wasn't taken out and the corner of the chimney breast is supported with a timber beam and upright.

The surveyor reckons it fails building control regs and will need to be repaired and signed off. What I need to know is what is an acceptable remedy to the use of the timber ? I assume it needs to be brick, but given the chimney breast below is long gone, what's the right way of correcting it ?

Second question, do we need Building inspector to come and tells us what needs doing, contract it out, then inspect or can we crack on with the work and get it inspected after, also how long does it take to get something inspected ?

Cheers

Phil

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is it a party wall?

Official RnS Addict wakesupremo's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    it basically needs an angle iron support underneath bolted to the wall Buiding regs allow a 25mm corbel so it needs to be low enough to enable corbels at 25mm to bridge under the remaining part of the chimney.I.E. If its a 300mm piece of chimney sticking out and you get a piece of 200X200 angle you need to have 4 corbels of 25mm above the angle to support the chimney above. 4 courses of bricks that will each corbel out 25mm to make up the 100mm short from the 200mm angle to the 300mm chimney. Hope this makes sense. once this is done get on to the building control and ask them to send an inspector round to sign it off. make the inspector a cup of tea and you'll be well away.
    If it's got tits or tyres, its gonna be trouble

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by heavychevy View Post
    Is it a party wall?
    yeah i guess it is, it’s end of terrance but this the adjoining wall and chimney stack with next door

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wakesupremo View Post
    it basically needs an angle iron support underneath bolted to the wall Buiding regs allow a 25mm corbel so it needs to be low enough to enable corbels at 25mm to bridge under the remaining part of the chimney.I.E. If its a 300mm piece of chimney sticking out and you get a piece of 200X200 angle you need to have 4 corbels of 25mm above the angle to support the chimney above. 4 courses of bricks that will each corbel out 25mm to make up the 100mm short from the 200mm angle to the 300mm chimney. Hope this makes sense. once this is done get on to the building control and ask them to send an inspector round to sign it off. make the inspector a cup of tea and you'll be well away.
    you lost me at corbels, so if i understand it, basically it needs an angle brackets supporting a course of bricks, like an upside down stair case transferring the loads above to the party wall ?

Official RnS Addict ChopperHarris's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    yep as above gallows brackets (you should have had a party wall agreement when your Dad did it)

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, check out party wall agreement.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChopperHarris View Post
    yep as above gallows brackets (you should have had a party wall agreement when your Dad did it)
    so if it’s rectified with these brackets to regs, we get a party wall agreement with next door, mr inspector should be happy ?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    As above simple gallows brackets, chemical/resin fixing can work well in old brickwork.

If they protrude below the ceiling they will need cladding with Pboard for fireproofing.

Ask building control for reassurance and they may want to inspect depending on your relationship with them, not a problem.

Don't get too hung up on party wall agreements, or get "experts" involved.

just write a simple polite letter and hand deliver it to next door telling them that you'll be drilling a few holes halfway through the 9" party wall to fit a support bracket to prevent damage to the wall.

They will most likely look at the letter and agree, get them to sign your copy, that's the way I did it in business and it's all that's needed.
    Whirrr whirrr chuff chuff de chuff........chuff......BRUMMMM!

My Chevy thread: https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/sho...y-coach-403745
    Rugged Robin 2/3rd track: https://www.facebook.com/Rugged.Robin.tracked/

11. Likeskapri liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 28Chevy View Post
    As above simple gallows brackets, chemical/resin fixing can work well in old brickwork.

If they protrude below the ceiling they will need cladding with Pboard for fireproofing.

Ask building control for reassurance and they may want to inspect depending on your relationship with them, not a problem.

Don't get too hung up on party wall agreements, or get "experts" involved.

just write a simple polite letter and hand deliver it to next door telling them that you'll be drilling a few holes halfway through the 9" party wall to fit a support bracket to prevent damage to the wall.

They will most likely look at the letter and agree, get them to sign your copy, that's the way I did it in business and it's all that's needed.
    Cheers mate, does the steel plate or bracket have to fix to the course of bricks above, or do the just rest on the brackets mounted to the party wall ? Neighbour shouldn't be a problem so will get a draft part wall agreement drawn up. I'd be confident doing the work, but am I allowed given it needs building inspector approval ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information