Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used to weld up my own to suit each job, but here's what looks like a good source, looks like theirs are designed to be built into the brickwork for added support: https://sjhmetalworkltd.com/product/...imney-support/

No need fix to above brickwork, just a couple of hard wedges and ram fill with firm mortar.

You are allowed to DIY, building inspectors are great if you ask them pertinent questions and do exactly what they ask of you.

They can appear picky but they're used to dealing with tossers all day so just make their job easy for a change.
    Whirrr whirrr chuff chuff de chuff........chuff......BRUMMMM!

My Chevy thread: https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/sho...y-coach-403745
    Rugged Robin 2/3rd track: https://www.facebook.com/Rugged.Robin.tracked/

2. Likeskapri liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 28Chevy View Post
    I used to weld up my own to suit each job, but here's what looks like a good source, looks like theirs are designed to be built into the brickwork for added support: https://sjhmetalworkltd.com/product/...imney-support/

No need fix to above brickwork, just a couple of hard wedges and ram fill with firm mortar.

You are allowed to DIY, building inspectors are great if you ask them pertinent questions and do exactly what they ask of you.

They can appear picky but they're used to dealing with tossers all day so just make their job easy for a change.
    Thanks mate, that's been really useful. The problem we've got is timing, current wait for a building inspector is 3-8 weeks, so we're pursuing the angle of selling the house with a known issue and discounting the difference to the buyer. If the buyers happy and the solicitors tell us it's ok we'll just got that route. We could easily fix it but the party wall agreement and inspection delay is going to collapse the chain. It is propped but only with a 6x3 wooden beam / post, been like it 27 years so don't see it collapsing. The fun of selling houses eh ...

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're welcome.

You could ask building control what they'll accept, do the work, and sell as awaiting inspection, those brackets come with a cert which would help.

Take out insurance against future defects, which is surprisingly cheap.

My daughter sold without new windows guarantee (installers firm no longer existed) she took out insurance and buyers mortgage co accepted that, sale went ahead.

Great obsession vids by the way
    Last edited by 28Chevy; 26-02-2019 at 15:26.
    Whirrr whirrr chuff chuff de chuff........chuff......BRUMMMM!

My Chevy thread: https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/sho...y-coach-403745
    Rugged Robin 2/3rd track: https://www.facebook.com/Rugged.Robin.tracked/

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WB54 View Post
    Thanks mate, that's been really useful. The problem we've got is timing, current wait for a building inspector is 3-8 weeks, so we're pursuing the angle of selling the house with a known issue and discounting the difference to the buyer. If the buyers happy and the solicitors tell us it's ok we'll just got that route. We could easily fix it but the party wall agreement and inspection delay is going to collapse the chain. It is propped but only with a 6x3 wooden beam / post, been like it 27 years so don't see it collapsing. The fun of selling houses eh ...
    The house I bought had a four pot chimney reduced below the roof and the roof made good, the chimney breasts both upstairs and down on my side had been removed and the rough brickwork plaster boarded over, so the chimney was supported by next doors chimney breasts which were hardly tied in due to the removal of my side and two 3 x 2 beams in the loft which had sunk causing the remains of the chimney in the loft to lean about 2" towards me, just to make sure there was enough weight they had filled the redundant chimneys with rubble.....about 3 ton was sat on those 2 beams I reckon

So what you have found is not unusual....

Good luck with the sale
    IT'S NOT GETTING WHAT YOU WANT...IT'S WANTING WHAT YOUVE GOT

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    as above, just needs gallows brackets. building control arent the monsters ther always made out to be, ask them to do a visit should only be days not weeks. ask exactly how they want it doing and either put in a building notice and do it yourself or get a quote for the work to spec. you can then have the work done or negotiate with the buyer as you have a written quote. surveyors will knock off far more than the cost of work from the houses value.i once did a flat roof for £550 that the surveyors priced at £2200 !!!!!!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks chaps, been really useful to get some solid advice on this

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information