Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  1
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bullit mustang

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    My uncle has a variation on that "the wrong price today can be the right tomorrow". Particularly apt in the old car world.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict legendlives's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RAYS CLASSICS.COM View Post
    these days you could buy a really nice s code 4 speed fastback for around $55k to $65k around here , that thing would struggle to get $10k if it was,nt attached to Steve McQueen & the film, I,ve owned loads of fastbacks over the yrs including a 3 yr old boss 429 when I still lived in the uk , they are okay cars but nothing special (other than the 429 boss only made for 2 yrs very low production) & vastly overpriced , I,d rather have a 69 cougar ragtop for less money better looking & nicer interiors in my humble opinion , having worked in the classic car auction world for over 20 yrs I,d be willing to gamble dana mecum guaranteed the owner a certain sum of money & waved the entry fee for him to get the consignment & all the hoopla surrounding the car rather than let it go to barret Jackson next week , on another note I owned the 428 cobra jet cougar convert briefly back in the day from the bond film ohmss , it was first registered by the studio in 1968 & on a g plate so a very early car , when I wanted to sell it nobody gave a **** that it was a bond car & pretty rare being a big block cobra jet convertible all I kept getting was know-all,s telling me it was a 68 not a 69 although we all knew there was no convertible in the 68 body style, the car was mint at the time , given all of that today at auction it would easily be a six figure car .
    Exactly.
    You could build a brand new (Dynacorn) car with a 390 4-speed (if that's what you want) for about 1% of the price of that Bullitt car, and actually be able to drive and enjoy it.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heard the commission for selling it was $340K to the auction house, + this+that.

Forum Sponsor RAYS CLASSICS.COM's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    10% both sides seller & buyer unless they cut the seller a deal on his end which happens a lot at mecums when they're struggling to get to the target figure , so you're looking at $680k commission plus the Buyers bidding credential charges all going to the house , buyers premium is the sacred cow in the auction game & is normally never up for negotiation so worse scenario the house cut was $340k on the day , less the cost of tramping the car all over the country for a year displaying at every one of their sales , I,ll be in Scottsdale Arizona all week & by the time the dust settles on all the auction houses the total gross will look like some countries national debt .

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was it being sold by the family that had owned it for years, or had some wheeler dealer bought it to flip?
    Screw EU

Forum Sponsor RAYS CLASSICS.COM's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    it was sold by the son of the guy that owned it for yrs & who would,nt sell it back to mcqueen , the son was all over the country showing the car at various events , it think it came to the uk somewhere , when the car first came out in public he was all about how much the car meant to his dad & family & he would never sell it, i guess the difference between owning a rusty old s code car in the garage & $3m in the bank made all that heartache go away !

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ray, I guess if I thought I could relieve some stupid dick of $3m for one of my old cars I'd be all over it
    Screw EU

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If a painting by an 'old master' is worth as much as 100 million, surely one of the most iconic cars ever is worth $3.4 million. for Christ's sake, Tracey Emin's dirty old bed went to Charles Saatchi's art gallery for over a million quid....

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not suprised he wouldn't sell it to McQueen with the ****ty letter he foolishly signed when trying to buy it, he offered fk all for it despite who he was and what it meant to him in 1977 IIRC

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think by todays standards it was a bargain, stupid money I know but...one of the most iconic movie cars ever, driven by perhaps the coolest guy ever and in one of the best movies ever, on top of all that it's just a great muscle car, could you picture yourself cruising around in it ..idiot people pay 20 times that for a Ferwarri type thingy, I know which one I would choose (John Milners coupe)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information