Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    of the Croydon Teds Nigel Incubator-Jones's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Buster Lang's Show Photos

Buster Lang's been doing shows around north Surrey since 2011, and for the first time in 2016 they decided to hold an indoor one, presumably as a consequence of last year's bank holiday washout. It was quite interesting attending my first indoor custom car show, though as Buster Lang's a limited company it won't have been anything like the golden-age of club-run shows in the '70s, so I won't make any more mention of them. Quite a lot of the show was actually outdoors anyway. There was a great mix of cars, which is likely due to the mix of exhibitors - a few well-supported clubs, a classic American dealership, a Barons classic American auction, a custom 'bike company and a range of film/TV cars from Motion Picture Motors - on top of all the privately entered cars.

All that is to come. The first thing I saw before entering the show, though, was the car park, so we'll start with some photos from there.

Wanted! Back issues of Street Machine, American Car World/American Car and Classic American. Please PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The entrance to the show was marked by a huge police presence, which isn't usually a good sign, but the cool Yank cars (and the nice lady officers) told us that these were good coppers.

'68 Plymouth Fury

It needs no introduction, but this is the '74 Dodge Monaco notable as the only car to have ****ed off the police, country musicians and neo-Nazis simultaneously. Well, this is actually a '77 with '74 front and rear panels, but the effect is the same.

U.K. Lowriders had a small, cool display by the entrance gates with a '79 Buick Regal, '85 Chevy Monte Carlo and '83 Olds Cutlass Supreme. Great to see some lowriders because I think the scenes vastly underrepresented in this country, and I'd really like to see some earlier models wearing the style.

The first thing you saw once inside the show was the Barons classic American auction, which included this rather nice 1932 Buick Model 65.

After the extravagance of 1959, 1960 marked the death of enormous fins. Unless you were Plymouth, it would seem, with the fins on the '60 Fury appearing rather more prominent than on the '59.

I couldn't help asking myself "Who on earth would put those wheels on a '57 Cadillac?" Then I saw the sticker in the windscreen...

'67 Camaro was mint, and estimated from £45-55k.

My assumption on seeing this '77 Cadillac de Ville was that it had been rebuilt as a pick-up after a rear-end collision, but apparently its one of a pair of prototypes. Why Cadillac would have even contemplated making a pick-up is anyone's guess.

Here's another London Motor Museum car and, being a full custom (as opposed to just having incongruous wheels), it was much more De Soto thing a like. This '46 Custom is an American import with 350 Chevy power.

Here's a '67 GT500 trying to pass itself off as a yellow Mach 1. I don't care a bit for the bodywork mods on Eleanor in the Gone in 60 Seconds remake, but this is an interesting car as it was the last of 50 commissioned by CVS Cinema Car Services of Los Angeles to promote the film. Estimate of £170-190k is a lot for a car that isn't as nice as a stock Mustang, though.

I took lots of photos. I'm slow. There's more to come. Eventually.
    Wanted! Back issues of Street Machine, American Car World/American Car and Classic American. Please PM.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool pics, I went on the Saturday, few cars outside, and the white truck I spotted at the Cranleigh show on the Sunday parked near me, here's a few pics----

Last edited by Scotty B'reg; 17-08-2016 at 19:37.

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great photos, thanks for sharing . Saw the white pickup at Cranleigh too, bit too custom for me, but is a lovely truck.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

A few clubs had displays but none could match the Mustang Owners' Club for numbers. This '70 was subtly different with American Racing wheels replacing the original Magnum 500s.

The Can-Am Car Club had a nice trio of land yachts on show, including this '60 Pontiac with cool narrow scallops

The Mopar Muscle Association had some excellent variety in its cars, including '68-70 Chargers and Road Runners as well as lesser spotted delights like this '66 Charger...

...this '66 A.M.C. Ambassador (not sure of the Mopar connection)...

...and Aussie muscle in the form of this '72 Chrysler Valiant Charger.

Dream Cars brought along some truly awesome cars (forgive me using such an overused word, but it's appropriate for these) from the heyday of chrome and fins, so here's a taster of what they had, beginning with a 1958 Mercury Park Lane convertible.

1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz

1959 Buick Electra 225 convertible

Also to be found on the upper floor was this Buick, taking us back to 1918

As I'm not in close proximity to a drag strip, I'm very pleased on the occasions that I do see a drag car, and Buster Lang had four. I can imagine this Topolino altered will quite easily run into the sevens. I don't know enough about drag racing to offer much more comment on this, so any info about it would be welcome.

Replica of Mad Max's Falcon Interceptor

Replica of the Falcon used in a chase at the beginning of Mad Max

Lastly (for this post), Paul Bacon's brilliant B.M.W. Z3-based bubbletop show rod, Cosmotron, which reminds me of a little complaint I have for the show. As this was an indoor show, why was there no angel hair anywhere???

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Apron area was for privately-entered individuals, and there was no shortage of variety there, with the likes of a historic Fad T rubbing shoulders with modern muscle.

Another cool drag car was this old slingshot, called Ellie's in Trouble Now, whatever that's supposed to mean. It was amazing how this and the Mercury Monarch behind it were being largely ignored just because they weren't quite in the main rectangle with everything else, it's not like they were tucked away out of view.

'71 Charger - nice to see one the other side of the '68-70 bracket

Only about 3,000 of the Continental Mk. IIs were made, and owners included Elvis and George Barris. Someone with deep pockets is going to have a nice project on their hands.

Cool pro street Camaro, Eight Misbehavin'

A few of the Motion Picture Motors spilt over from indoors, so the Gran Torino, the Cadillac Miller-Meteor and one of two General Lees got to enjoy the sunshine.

'64 Mercury Comet looks as cool as anything in pink 'flake with Rocket Strikes

Morris Six MS was a pleasantly unusual choice for custom treatment

Here's a very interesting car. This 1937 Pontiac Eight Silver Streak was the uniquely personalised transport of airline boss and aviation enthusiast Sir Peter Masefield. He acquired it while serving as the first civil air attaché to the British embassy in Washington D.C. in 1945 and he customised it over the near-60 years in which he owned it. It was his daily driver, and when he returned to British soil in 1947, he brought it with him, and through the snowy winter of that year it carried him from Reigate to Bristol on a weekly basis, a job for which he upgraded the electrics and driving lights. The cosmetic changes were undertaken by a man called Burnup, who worked near Eastbourne, and were probably a nod to the American designs of the '50s which Sir Peter admired. The first modifications were done in Washington, and included a larger fuel tank for long-distance journeys and a one-piece rear window from a Lockheed Lodestar to improve visibility. Back in Britain, he fitted a window from a Vickers Viscount into the roof so he could see aircraft pass overhead. The work was carried out at the B.E.A. workshop at Heathrow (Masefield was C.E.O. of B.E.A.) and it was also there that the car was changed from dark green to two-tone grey. Aircraft-style luggage lockers were fitted in the front wings, and the interior features aeronautical lap belts, compass and dials. The 12 dials on the dash include an altimeter, a rate of ascent and descent meter and an airspeed indicator. Although owned by Masefield all his life, the Pontiac was only driven until 1967, when a Bristol 405 took over its duties. It was bequeathed to Kingston College, but it was bought from them and restored independently. In the 1980s cartoon series Inspector Gadget, the evil Dr. Claw's car was clearly a copy of the Masefield Pontiac.

Time for history now, and I always enjoy seeing (and hearing) the first British rear-engine dragster, Russ Carpenter's Grenade from 1970

This one's got me excited whenever I've seen it, the Desperado T-Bucket from 1977 which was returned to the road earlier this year.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The motorcycle display consisted almost entirely of choppers, some traditional and some modern. Some I really liked (the traditionally-styled ones), others did nothing for me at all.

Overkill, a Harley Sportster-powered hardtail, is a recent build

'68 Triumph

Beautiful '47 Harley with a nice Dave Mann look about it

Lord of the Ages, a 2003 Triumph Bonneville, reminded me of the show bikes of the '70s and early '80s, like the Gold Yamaha and Old Don Blocksidge. I'd never seen engraved engines outside of photos before, so I was suitably impressed.

Making a nice change from all the choppers was this relatively understated Knucklehead by Krazy Horse customs

Nearly there now, I reckon I've got about two more posts left.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Motion Picture Motors had quite an extensive display of film and T.V. cars, with plenty of your usual suspects (Bullitt, General Lee, Herbie, Eleanor, Back to the Future, Mr. Bean and Only Fools) but also a few lesser seen ones and a couple that were just obscure.

Perhaps the most valuable car in the show was the Porsche 917 (Le Mans)

Cool Vanishing Point Challenger

All rise... Very nice looking G.T.O. The Judge. The film? Something called Sex Drive, apparently.

The '46 Ford looks good in Greased Lightning colours... shame it ended up in such a naff film.

This pretty little Morris J2 was exhibited without an info sheet, leaving us to guess what the film connection is. I think Porridge only used Transits, so Withnail & I?

One of my favourites was the cool 'Casual T', which represented Hot Rods to Hell. Obviously not a replica of the T in the film, but a perfectly acceptable representative all the same.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    To close, a run-down of the quality that made up the Buster Lang Top 10. I've no idea what criteria had to be fulfilled to reach the Top 10, but all of the cars were exceptionally good, and looked good in the photos with the curtain for a backdrop and no people getting in the way.

'55 Chevy Bel Air

'67 Camaro RS

'58 Chevy Impala

U.S.-built '31 Model A Victoria

'48 F-1 seems to be a popular Ford, having been praised a few times in Custom Car and having taken best in show at the Blood, Sweat 'n' Gears event a week before appearing in the Buster Lang Top 10.

Nice, smooth '36 coupe

Nicely restored '66 Mustang fastback

Lovely '37 Ford. Some cars seem to be built, tour the show circuit for a couple of years and then disappear, so it was good to see this one which was built and CC-featured quite a way back now. Actually, the blue '36 and Casual T are also ex-CC cars, albeit slightly more recent ones.

'49 Nash Airflyte pro streeter, looking very nice with the uncommon choice of chameleon paint

'68 Charger is a real labour of love, having been restored twice after being vandalised in 2010 and an arson attack in 2011. Well, the work's paid off because the car looks great five years down the line.

That's it. Phewwwwwwwwwwwww.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great pics thanks for posting.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information