Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Charities?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Charities?

Any of them, particularly the cancer-related ones, make really good use of their funding? I do wonder if some of the more well-known ones are more about supporting themselves at times. Although not a cancer one, Oxfam in particular seem a bit too 'corporate' to me.

Who would you give or leave money to?
    Screw EU

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I help raise money every year with santa and his sleigh, all funds go to Essex community foundation (most counties have similar organisations) they invest funds and support local small charities, many people don't even know exist. I have been fortunate enough to have been to some of their presentation evenings, always leave feeling that there is always more we can do to support the small organisations as many are run by un paid staff and get little or no financial support.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Always bugs me they say 'earned' rather than 'paid'.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-doubled.html

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I support our local Hospice when fund rasing. You can actually see your money in action . I give regularly to RSCPA and another local animal resue centre .

Throw some in the pot when something touches me . Al Barnetts partner runs a charity in Africa where you can actually see your money supporting them.

I've done volunteer work with Transplant Support Network.

I intend leaving money to Cancer Research and National Kidney Federation.

As you say Andy many seem so corporate that it looks like not a lot of what you give actually gets to the cause .

Children In Need sitting on vast amounts of money ?

Just a thought , as per many years I HATE Xmas but will be putting what money I would spend on Xmas cards / stamps into a charity somewhere.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see where you are coming from with the corporate thing. With some of the larger charities it has to be like this, I am not a member but have a fair bit to do with the RNLI, they have huge liabilities and obligations and have to be run in a Profesional manner otherwise they just wouldn't work.
    I do hate the horror stories that you here about some the larger ones, employing Profesional fundraisers and solicitors to get the most out of people's estates.
    I never speak to the charity muggers in the street (you know the ones that hang around high streets trying to sign people up)
    My mum used to run the local Hospital League of Friends and all the money raised was to by extra suff for the Hospital, not medical stuff but comforts for the patients (used to **** me off when we had to go visiting the old people in the geriatric hospital on Christmas Day but when I think back I am so glad that we did)

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i know that it feels wrong.
    and i have heartburn also.
    but.........
    the wage earned is in line with those of others who are in the top end of a 400 million pound business.
    if we want the charity to be run properly we need to hire and promote top executives.
    if you are only offering small wage, you will only get minimal employees.
    sent from my Commodore vic 32

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i give to diabetic research
    and at this time of year folks looking after the homeless.
    it still gets chilly here in southern california in the winter.
    sent from my Commodore vic 32

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good points, everyone, thanks.

RNLI is a good one I hadn't thought of living 60 miles from the coast, and forgot I already give a small amount to the local air ambulance - it's criminal that these are not a government supported service.

Local hospices are also good but their shops annoy me sometimes, with too much new imported stuff and rather pricey second hand (donated) things. I know they need to maximise their turnover but getting back to Oxfam and maybe Sue Ryder, they seem to just use eBay prices. They would argue that they may as well make the money rather than someone else, but I'm sure they would turn over more volume with lower prices and Joe public would find the occasional bargain: everyone's a winner!

What got me going on this was visiting family at the weekend and seeing all the adverts for charities on TV (I don't watch at home), and I'm also supposed to be sorting out my will.
    Screw EU

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry - I have to disagree about RNLI being a worthwhile charity (but please prove me wrong if indeed I am).

The RNLI was originally conceived to assist and aid the many merchant seamen working at sea. These days this hardly seems to be case. All the reports I seem to read tend to be about idiots who should know better, either swimming where and when they shouldn't, people out on 'pleasure' boats and expensive yachts (many with more money than sense) ill equipped or prepared for the what they face.

In case I am wrong (and again please prove me so if you can) I am now going to hide in the cupboard under my stairs . . . .

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fogey View Post
    Sorry - I have to disagree about RNLI being a worthwhile charity (but please prove me wrong if indeed I am).

The RNLI was originally conceived to assist and aid the many merchant seamen working at sea. These days this hardly seems to be case. All the reports I seem to read tend to be about idiots who should know better, either swimming where and when they shouldn't, people out on 'pleasure' boats and expensive yachts (many with more money than sense) ill equipped or prepared for the what they face.

In case I am wrong (and again please prove me so if you can) I am now going to hide in the cupboard under my stairs . . . .
    You are correct that a lot of their calls are to people that should know better, our local Lifeboats most common call out is to Jetskis and to motorists cut off by the tide (the road that leads to Mersea gets covered by the tide sometimes)
    People swimming are a big cause of callouts but not where I live.
    Yachts very rarely get into trouble because they don't know what they are doing, most calls to yachts seem to be medical emergencies or gear failure.
    The most tragic cases usually concern comercial fishing vessels and downed aircraft, one of our local guys had PTSD for attending a crashed microlight....
    The trouble is if it was a government funded operation it would be subject to cuts and we would only have the minimal level ov cover that we have to put up with with the official emergency services..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information