Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Charities?

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, my favourite charity is the Southampton Neo-Natal unit - Due to the skill and dedication of their staff and the facilities they have (some of which has been funded by charitable donation) I have identical twin grandsons who wouldn't otherwise be here.

2. Likeskapri liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No percentages

Quote Originally Posted by JackGriffin View Post
    Good points, everyone, thanks.

RNLI is a good one I hadn't thought of living 60 miles from the coast, and forgot I already give a small amount to the local air ambulance - it's criminal that these are not a government supported service.

Local hospices are also good but their shops annoy me sometimes, with too much new imported stuff and rather pricey second hand (donated) things. I know they need to maximise their turnover but getting back to Oxfam and maybe Sue Ryder, they seem to just use eBay prices. They would argue that they may as well make the money rather than someone else, but I'm sure they would turn over more volume with lower prices and Joe public would find the occasional bargain: everyone's a winner!

What got me going on this was visiting family at the weekend and seeing all the adverts for charities on TV (I don't watch at home), and I'm also supposed to be sorting out my will.

Apparently one of the big no no's is to leave a percentage of your estate to a charity as they will fight to get the biggest value so their percentage is greater, the way to do it is to leave a fixed amount of money
    IT'S NOT GETTING WHAT YOU WANT...IT'S WANTING WHAT YOUVE GOT

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Try looking at Shelter as a charity, funded by the government to provide advice, called shelter but doesn't own, support or provide any accommodation whatsoever not even emergency

The CEO is on something like 400K a year

Its a joke not a charity
    IT'S NOT GETTING WHAT YOU WANT...IT'S WANTING WHAT YOUVE GOT

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fogey View Post
    Personally, my favourite charity is the Southampton Neo-Natal unit - Due to the skill and dedication of their staff and the facilities they have (some of which has been funded by charitable donation) I have identical twin grandsons who wouldn't otherwise be here.
    A good friend had his daughter saved by them also.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MYTHING View Post
    Apparently one of the big no no's is to leave a percentage of your estate to a charity as they will fight to get the biggest value so their percentage is greater, the way to do it is to leave a fixed amount of money
    Good advice, some charities are really aggressive.

My wife was a legal PA (retired now) she had some real battles with big charities trying that one, at the expense of family members.

They know how long it takes to sort wills out, but they would be repeatedly nagging for their share, whereas most relatives would usually understand and wait patiently for theirs.

The costs of all this extra legal work comes out of the estate.

Not all like that but it pays to be cautious.
    Last edited by 28Chevy; 14-12-2018 at 11:08.
    Whirrr whirrr chuff chuff de chuff........chuff......BRUMMMM!

My Chevy thread: https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/sho...y-coach-403745
    Rugged Robin 2/3rd track: https://www.facebook.com/Rugged.Robin.tracked/

8. Likeskapri liked this post
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another one is where charities hit on recently bereaved widows/widowers. Not sure where they get there intel from (notice in newspaper?), but when my Dad died ten years or so back, my Mum was hit on by dozens and dozens of charities. She started writing small cheques to any that approached her. Of course, they then came back for more....that was in addition to the ones she thought particularly worthwhile where she set up standing orders and direct debits.

I think the best charities are where you can see a less convoluted link between giver and recipient eg where folk give to foodbanks, although you have to trust that the end user is genuinely needy.

As an aside, apparently Milleniials are less keen to give to charities. Say it could be down to less free cash with current rents, but maybe they just like to talk about issues, rather than get involved.

10. Likeskapri liked this post
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The main issue we have here in the States is the sheer number of charities, and the fact that it's now a multi billion dollar industry rather than someone on the street with a collection jar.
    https://www.forbes.com/top-charities/list/#tab:rank

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I only give to one charity, The Hospice of St Francis have a DD set up each month. It takes the sting out of a big donation, its regular income for them and I don't even miss it. All the stuff we get rid of goes to their shops etc.

I too am growing resentful of the big charities. My sons came home with little CAFOD boxes to fill up to feed Africans. I remember being given the same 30 years ago and thinking if African's couldn't feed itself then or now, what's the point ? Where's all the wells and medicine and all that got us ?

13. Likeskapri liked this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information