Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Condensation

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Condensation

I think this subject may have been covered before but I can't find it.

I've finished my lean to and all is good. Well, all is good until I get internal rain! The cars would have been dryer if I'd parked them outside. In the rain. It's condensation at it's worst. Just wondering if you folks have had it (I'm certain you have) and how you've sorted it without breaking the bank as I'm now on a limited budget. Here's something I thought of which may be a stupid idea but here goes; could I spray the inside of the roof with underseal perhaps? Just a thought. Any suggestions very welcome.
    I'm off to give it a blast with my leaf blower to see if that'll shift it for the time being.

Thanks folks.

P.S. You know that 'stupid idea' I mentioned? I've just been and gone and painted a small section with that there Tetrosyl underseal stuff. I'll let you know if it works. The 'leaf blower' idea did work sort of.
    Last edited by RockabillyBilly; 01-12-2019 at 12:45.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im guessing you have a flat tin roof, concrete walls etc to get that amount of condensation, i would say you need to insulate your roof with some of that insulation board, probably cheapest and best option and get yourself a dehumidifier, ive had one for years they really are a massive help.
    If quitters never win, and winners never cheat, then who is the fool who said "Quit while you're ahead"

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually it's box profile section with wooden walls. The amount of condensation is incredible. The floor is hardcore/crush and run. It's just for parking the cars in, not working on. It leans onto an existing garage made of wood. I wish I could post pictures of it.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    box profile, theres your problem

either insulate and board with osb board, or just board with out the insulation

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    We use a dehumidifier in our old cottage that runs permanently during the day, as we get a lot of condensation. It's amazing how much water it collects, particularly in winter when wet washing is hung up indoors. Even without heating on, clothes on clothes airer near device are pretty dry by the end of the day. Limescale-free water from d/h is then used in radiators in cars, top up batteries, steam iron etc.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    A dehumidifier will only work if its a fairly well sealed room. That box profile is terrible for condensation, my conservatory roof has it - but luckily as its sealed to the house a good dessicant dehumidifier has transformed the space (if you go that route it will need to be a dessicant one as they work better at low temperatures). Personally I'd do as suggested above and roof it with osb3 and felt it will stop a lot of your problems

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Many thanks folks. The dehumidifier would be good but theres gaps all over the place. I think I'll have to go down the re-boarding route. I'll check the small patch of underseal when it's thawed out though ...just in case but, the re-boarding seems the way to go.
    Thanks again.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, OSB board & roofing felt. Much warmer as well.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie billyboy132's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got a similar problem myself Billy. One of the cars needs to live in the dragster trailer. Aluminium box with translucent plastic roof. Walls lined with ply but not insulated, roof not insulated, roller shutter door that fits where it touches!! The condensation is horrific so far this winter!! i'm wondering if insulating behind the ply boarded walls and also the roof might help. ideally dont want to resort to putting a heater in there. fistly because of the cost of running it but secondly i'm paranoid about electric heaters!!!
    Oddlot Drag Racing Team....
    ............."havin fun is usual"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information