Councils.... Dont you just luv them?????
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Councils.... Dont you just luv them?????

so i have a house that i rent out, have done for a while now, the last person to rent the house had planned on leaving ob a sunday & couldn't get everything moved on time so rented for anothe 3 days to get done, now she forgot to tell the council that she had stayed longer, saves her money too, so when it came to paying the council tax while empty i got a bill from when she said, not from when she left, had letter sent from letting agent to show when she left....
    they sent me a letter saying if i did not pay in full it would double & plus a fine too!!
    so paid & tried to sort it, another letter & call from letting agent, the council now say as she was paying council tax at her new address she cant pay at the old one where she was still living & its up to me to pay her council tax, its not alot of money but cant see why i have to pay her tax?????
    mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Simple - its easier to get the money from you than her. I'd stand my ground if the agent is involved and it wasn't just a gentlemans agreement. They are so quick to send out the "pay now or you'll have to pay it all at once" letter, they don't care a stuff about situations.

We are down to one now, they are simply not worth the hassle, all rights have shifted to the Tennant and oh don't they know it, our last one owes thousands, is super depressed and has a case worker to pay off his debts......we've told him and the Council we'll evict unless he clears his debt, they replied "evict then, we'd rather struggle to rehouse him than pay his debts" They squirm and never answer me direct when I ask for an answer why when he's been on Housing benefit and not paid us a penny are they not pursuing him for Fraud.

They are all tossers who want an easy ride

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    we had a similar thing, told them we weren't going to pay and we didn't said if they wanted to go to court we would fight it, in the end we payed from when we reposed which is fair

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a tenant on housing benefit,stopped paying rent.thankfully moved out ,owing 3 months rent.
    Asked council for the money she owed me,they're reply was Housing Benefit doesn't have to be spent on rent !
    She can't be charged with fraud.
    The council don't care about private landlords,so no more dss tenants for me,and one less property subsidising the local authority.
    They don't build suitable houses so the housing crisis continues.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    you used to have a choice of having the rent paid direct to the landlord or trusting the tenant to pay it. can't it go direct to the landlord anymore then?
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a cop we all dreaded the end of the month because we would respond to a constant stream of burglary calls where the rent money, always in cash and always on top of a table, was stolen, nothing else, just the rent money.

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not easily,everything is skewed in favour of the tenant.It's all agonised over by social services ,takes months,by which time the rent's still not paid.
    Same as taking penniless people to court,pointless.
    This situation was created by the coalition govt. (clegg) to make people on benefits more responsible.
    Just puts the debt on the landlord not the council ,claimant/parasite wanders off to do it all again, probably.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    dont really get what the govt & councils are up to, most landlords are around retirement age & with a little in the bank decide to put some money into getting a mortgage & getting a house to rent, rather than leave the money to dwindle to nothing in the back...
    so the govt sells off all its houses, invites millions to move to the uk & the only houses to put them in are private rented ones, so they then change the tax laws on mortgages, to make landlord less well off so they dont have the money to spend keeping the rental houses in good order???
    anyone make any sense of that??

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Slightly off at a tangent but... years back the cul-de-sac where my sister lives was flooded. Most folk moved out into accommodation provided by their insurance companies. I ripped out the downstairs of sis's place so it could dry out and she chose to just live in the upstairs bit until I rebuilt it all. Meanwhile the council were on the local news stating over and over again how terrible the situation was and how they were doing everything they could to help those affected. About this time (whilst every other house in the area was empty) sis gets a letter, and a payment demand for extra council tax... turned out that the council had presumed the house was empty so had revoked the single person discount she had been receiving, because in the case of a property being empty the council can decide how many folk they think may have lived there if it were occupied and charge accordingly... so much for helping those affected by the flood.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie Austin Martin's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    We had a farm shop, that was genuinely nothing more than a garden shed, I demolished it within the first week, the beginning of the second week we received a business rate demand, tried to speak the council, but they don't take calls on such matters instead had to deal with the ratings agency, who did nothing to the pint where 2 months later the council send us a summons.

After various pointless phone calls (ending with the suggestion that we would sue them for the emotional turmoil caused) the ratings agency phoned to say that they accepted that it had indeed been demolished, and that it would be struck from the records; spoke to the lady we bought the place from (some months later) and it turns out they hadn't paid any rates for about 4 years since the death of her mother in law who ran the shop...... utter useless ****ing waste of space tossers ( still trying to come up with an acronym for that one!)
    Just a passer by as you might say.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information