Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Crate engine v rebuild ?

Crate engines look great for the money, compared with a full rebuild of your old one.
    Are they all there cracked up to be ? Theres load of tales of getting them here & there nothing but trouble, but is it just hearsay ?

Any feedback, good or bad ?
    The doors open, but the ride it aint free.

"fuck, thats orange" ! - kc55
    https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/gar...-57-chevy-1277

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to go the crate motor route, but after my mate said he would rebuild it free of charge as he wanted to do one before rebuilding his own I went down that route.
    For my money I bought a Stroker kit and had the motor lightened and balanced, etc as it was only a few hundred quid more than a stock rebuild, so I guess it depends on what you want the engine to perform like too.

If I had to do it myself I'd have bought a crate motor as I wouldn't have the 1st clue how to rebuild an engine.

I'm sure a few people will be along in a mo with crate motor recomendations.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess it depends what you are wanting to do ? I havnt heard any bad stories about crate engines. Pound for pound they are the cheapest way to get a new motor.
    If I needed a new motor for our ,56 I would buy a crate motor....

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    yer i had my sbc race motor built in the states.bill todd built it,ive got to say they can screw an engine together.so far touch wood all i have had to do on the motor is change the oil and plugs .and the engine has done everything i asked for . you can see your face in the blower,its 1200bhp and its been reliable

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Talkingcrate motor

i run a 4 bolt main crate lump with edelbrock goodies on it touch wood it been ok and anyone who knows me knows i give it more abuse than a politicians expense account,value for money you cant beat them,cut out engines are all together different,........that my penny worth..

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Talking strictly street engines here: the basic old style Goodwrench crate motors as sold by Real Steel are great! 2 guys I know have these in their rides and are both happy with value and performance one kept his as standard and one upgraded his after about 2 years with an edelbrock rpm pack[ heads cam air gap intake and better dizzy] Both cars perform well and the rpm one is awesome! I have a home rebuilt 350 sbc in my Firebird properly checked and machined by a reputable company and while I am happy with the result I would admit that I saved a few hundred £ but the Goodwrench is all new top to bottom... remember good machine shops are not cheap and cheap machine shops are not good. Short cuts and used parts=trouble down the line.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ive been running a Goodwrench 350 for 10 years in the Bigjob.thats 3 tons empty,an half its life its around 5tons, and then a caravan for good measure,if it blew up tomorrow,id phone Real Steel up and order another without batting an eyelid,Bry
    My Intro
    Insurance Repairs, MOT Work
    or Full On Restorations

Roberts Motor Bodies

Home of Henry Hirise
    Click to visit our website.

View the Henry Hirise Re-Build

When was the last time you did something for the first time ?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've used a few crate SBC's over the last couple of years.
    They were the most cost effective way of sorting out worn engines.
    What with the dollar as it is and the rise in the cost of shipping, I'm not so sure how they stack up at the moment.

Always take the sump off and check the bottom end out. I've had one very loose oil pickup pipe and one that was laying in the sump!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a crate zz4 in the A..no probs at all...to build a SBC to that spec without the poss machining works out pretty close to buying a crate motor. mine has 340-350bhp at the flywheel and 280 at the wheels (off the dyno)
    Last edited by paul; 17-05-2009 at 16:23.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got lucky & won a HO-350 deluxe back in '01. Stuck it in the elky where its performed flawlessly ever since.
    The HO is probably a better deal than the ZZ4 if you dont need the ally heads. Although theres 20HP difference on paper, the difference is said (by Hot Rod) to be much less on the dyno.
    Again, in Hot Rod a month or 2 back, they showed you'd be almost 100HP better off just getting a ZZ4 short block and decking it out with edelbrock heads etc, for about the same money as a complete ZZ4.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information