Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  12
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Official RnS Addict chevrolet50's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Custom car magazine

Just reading latest custom car magazine,who the hell is Wayne Saunders ?? Long lost brother of Andy?? Made me chuckle,hope all is well by the way dude!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    . . . and what happened to the P6 feature on page 56 ? Replaced by ads it would seem . . .

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    18 bloody pages of adverts out of 76.i know the ads make the money but let’s see a few more cars featured at least and maybe even a centrespread???
    Last edited by chevrolet50; 08-09-2019 at 13:15.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chill out guys. The reality is we published the name Saunders instead of Streams. Admittedly that was a gaff on our part which should never have happened, but it did. I make that 1 wrong word out of the 21,634 editorial words in that issue. With all due respect, I can live with a 0.005% failure rate in my working life.
    Those who know the ins and outs of publishing will fully understand last minute changes, hence the P6 feature being held over to the November issue. I have to say I'm impressed with you taking such note of the Contents page though. It was too late to change that when things got shuffled round.
    As for 18 ad pages in a 76 page publication. That is a pretty low editorial / advertising split, just check out other publications to see what I mean. As such I respectfully ask you live with it. No advertising equals no magazine. Simples. Dave

6. LikesTorment, stonefree, stu460, Magman, elevensies liked this post
    of the Croydon Teds Nigel Incubator-Jones's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh good, another Custom Car thread. Might as well take this opportunity to air some of my thoughts that aren't important enough to write a letter about. In my opinion, CC has changed for the worse in the last 12 months but only in a couple of very minor ways.

1) The loss of the classifieds pages. I understand that there was probably no particular desire to drop them, but Kelsey's page cull meant something had to go and the classifieds, sadly, offered the least compelling reasons to stay. Cynically, I might also suppose that Kelsey didn't want the expense or bother of dealing with an outside agency, so decided to cease classifieds across all its magazines and tough luck to anyone who disagrees. I know the classifieds probably doesn't help sell any magazines now that the internet dominates but, as wonderful as the internet is in many respects, I don't believe people should be dependent on it for anything. Ending magazine classifieds is going to create a dependency on the internet.

2) Social commentary on the letters pages is a waste of space. Just publishing comments like 'nice rod' or 'what a cool feature' offers about as much insight into rodding as you'd expect to get from a goldfish. Can't they even be edited so that they're fully literate, i.e. capital letters and punctuation? Publishing simplistic, aimless comments does, in my opinion, make the magazine look a bit stupid. If no one bothers to write proper letters anymore, which I can well believe, might I suggest something like a Photo of the Month? Just invite readers to send in their best photo from their rodding exploits during the last lunar cycle and the best one gets featured. Maybe Kelsey would be generous enough to offer a small cash prize to the winner. Then again, maybe I deceive myself...

Sidetracking a bit, a few months ago it was suggested that an occasional feature could be made of hot rods spotted out in everyday use. Yesterday I spotted a blue rodded Pop at a pub between Esher and East Molesey and pulled over to take a photograph. Then I realised I'd forgotten to put the memory card in the camera.

Anyway, I'm sure it will always be the case that an editorial desire for quality will conflict with the publishers' desire for money-making so I appreciate there's often no choice but to compromise. Just throwing my two pence in there, though. Keep up the good work.
    Wanted! Back issues of Street Machine, American Car World/American Car and Classic American. Please PM.

8. Likeselevensies liked this post
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Chill out guys. The reality is we published the name Saunders instead of Streams. Admittedly that was a gaff on our part which should never have happened, but it did. I make that 1 wrong word out of the 21,634 editorial words in that issue. With all due respect, I can live with a 0.005% failure rate in my working life.
    Those who know the ins and outs of publishing will fully understand last minute changes, hence the P6 feature being held over to the November issue. I have to say I'm impressed with you taking such note of the Contents page though. It was too late to change that when things got shuffled round.
    As for 18 ad pages in a 76 page publication. That is a pretty low editorial / advertising split, just check out other publications to see what I mean. As such I respectfully ask you live with it. No advertising equals no magazine. Simples. Dave
    Dave: - I posted by way of disappointment rather than complaint.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Calm down Dave,I thought it was funny! Could we have a few different cars pictured though sometimes and the kids like a crntrespread and so do I occasionally for the workshop.Still subscribing so can’t be that bad!!

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    when I bought custom car , many years ago, the for sales , bit was full of hotrods etc, and parts for sale, the last year or so it had just had classic cars & aa badges for sale, clearly, there isn't anyone wanting to use the for sales bit so they fill it with adverts from other mags...
    try looking at the other monthly, that's been back a couple of years,pages & pages of one page write ups with pics of shows that have been, on & only a couple of car features....

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Problem with any mags that have the same staff all the rime is they become dull.

Maybe a good cull of everyone who works on it and get fresh people in would make it a better mag.

You would also get different cars and shops featured.not just the sad power parkers off the in crowd
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

13. LikesWagonMan liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you want your shop featured then ask them ? Same applie sto other shops out there .

Send some pictures of what's in currently and past builds with a bit of history about yourself as well . Wild and Son got featured but they made the effort to get in there . Remember there's only one permanent memeber of staff trying to do it all.

I don't know about same old power parkers , I don't recognise a lot of the names featured ??

Likewise Custom Car is about a specific part of the Custom scene and it's readers know what they want to see . Street Machine very much caters for the others and complements CC.

15. Likessteve1275, magneto liked this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information