Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Diabetes

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Diabetes

Diabetes UK home page - Diabetes UK

We have had quite a long thread in the Rants section regarding Diabetes and I have just read a post that really disturbed me, so I thought it was about time that Diabetes came to the main Forum.

http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk

Diabetes is a serious issue. One million people in the UK are unaware that they have Diabetes.

So if anyone wants to look at the attached websites or ask any questions on here then please feel free to do so.

Support and advice is essential.
    Last edited by xxxxxxxxxHotrod Girl; 15-07-2010 at 11:48.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

[url=http://www.nobrain.d NoJive 55's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    HG,...2nd link not working

Only had one experience with it a friend had who wasn’t fat but he weight 19 stone and was 6.3 feet and at the age of 53 it hit him hard had to stop drinking and cut a lot of food out after 9 months he was down to 16 stone and filling a lot better, but it will be with for the rest of he’s life

Bob…

Bob....

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that Bob. Not very up on this technical stuff

Mine was caused by severe trauma and was a total shock. Thought it was the end of the world. I have learnt to cope with it and look after myself.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Hotrod Girl, don't know what was talked about in the Rants section, as I'm a newbie. My missus Angie is a type 1 diabetic at the moment (hereditry) it is gradually getting worse and will eventually lead to full blown type two. She is currently controlling it with various tablets Perindopil, Simvastin & Metformins, plus watching her diet and taking exercise, not gym work but we bought a dog and take long walks, but the prognosis is not good in the long run.
    People don't realise how serious diabetes can be. Angie's mam died about 5 years ago due to complications brought on by the reduced immunity system not been able to cope with a water infection.
    Whilst it is serious it Angie is not paranoid about it (I probably worry about it more than Angie) and she gets on with life. We still have the odd binge night (food & drink).
    Main thing is to enjoy yourself but also aware of any symptoms and keep up the regular health checks.
    Sorry I probably sound like a real preachy type, reply didn't start like that just wanted to give my support, and you will be well aware of all the relevent problems, Angie is my life so I try to be as supportive as possible.
    Look after yourself and live life to the full..
    All the best Ian

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Moved to the Chat section
    Meep Meep.
    My Intro

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went to my first meeting on Tuesday , lasted two hours and we had help and advice from a NHS Diabetes Nurse and an NHS Dietician .

It was very interesting and they were telling us it's not so much a drastic change in your diet but more of a redistribution of portion sizes , eating more fresh greens and certain fruits and reducing the portion size of starchy things like white pasta , rice , bread and potatoes but we can still having the odd sweet thing as a very occasional treat. The only thing they said they'd like to see us give up altogether are sugary drinks like Coke ... well all soft drinks , sweetened cordials and juices as the sugars in this form go straight into your blood stream and take a long time to come down .

Next meeting is in two weeks when they'll talk more about diet and during the next two weeks I have to do the strip test once a day and try and figure out what kinds of things make my glucose reading high as we're all different and what affects one person might be ok for somebody else .

Looks like I've got a lot to learn yet but the outlook may not be as bad as I first assumed .
    Champagne for my real friends,Real pain for my sham friends

My Intro

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chucks41 View Post
    Hi Hotrod Girl, don't know what was talked about in the Rants section.
    All the best Ian
    Hi Ian ,

I started the thread in rants when I was first diagnosed with diabetes , just to say arse to the lot of it really

I know what you mean though , my dad had a huge stroke and died in hospital 8 days later , death certificate listed the main cause as Pneumonia caused by complications due to Diabetes Mellitus ... or something along those lines , it was a long time ago .

Ron
    Champagne for my real friends,Real pain for my sham friends

My Intro

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got to say that you are getting alot better support and time from your NHS than my recently diagnosed mate who had about 10 minutes with his doctor and told to see their practice Diabetic nurse every couple of months.

Hammer-based simpleton
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats more than I got, one chat with diet nursey, and annual blood eye tests. Best thing you can do anyway is test yourself now and then. Take spare tabs and the kit with you always. Trouble is you don't hardly feel high levels, if at all, and they're the killer. Lows or quick descents are very easy to tell, and fix.

Coke and all that stuff is seriously bad, loaded with sugar. Also you might notice white bread is useless at keeping you going, it gets turned to glucose fast. And then you need more. Not to mention the salt in it. My other half makes brown bread in a bread machine, chemical and low salt, easy and cheap. Slower burn, keeps you going a lot longer before next need for a munch. factory brown bread is loaded with sugar too.

They like low cholesterol levels, gave me tabs but I binned them. Bit of fruit every day saw levels drop right down. Don't have to be a health freak (I still have bacon sarnies at wkends, a beer or 2 most nights etc) just cut some of the crap out and all's good.

Testing once a day though ain't going to tell much - at first try just before a meal, then again an hour later. See the difference. It's those times that things really happen.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ron
    It's not until you know someone who suffers with diabetes & talk to others that you realise how wide spread it actually is. Angie has had it for approx 4 years now, we were both a bit worried (possibly verging on paranoid) at the start, but she is pretty relaxed about it now and knows what to look out for. She actually carries a biscuit or something like that when we're out (think it's just an excuse to stuff her face). Hope she doesn't read my posts or I'll get it good.
    Ian
    Too much time on my hands. Too little money in my pocket

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information