Electric Motor Question.....HELP
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Far Far sarf of Watford now!!! any further, my feet are wet!, Sunny Bexhill on Sea.
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Electric Motor Question.....HELP

Me, being the eternal Tightwad, I am scrounging bits together for my new workshop, I have another small workshop that had my Lathe and Pedistal drill in it, which are both too big (and both 3 phase) to move to my workshop on the back of my garage, so I have acquired a nice little, good quality English bench drill, it was 3 phase converted to single, and the motor was disconnected when I got it, and no wiring diagram with it, its a Brookes Compton cap start motor, it dosent look like its a cap start/cap run motor, unless there is a small cap hidden within the case, but I cant see it.

So, my question IS?? Live and neutral must fit 2 of these 3 posts, , 2 posts have nuts missing, these would be my guess, but the nut on AZ is loose too, AZ is the terminal in the centre

20200629_111713.jpg
    wiring as seen with cover off, where do my live and neutral go, earth runs to motor chassis

20200629_111538.jpg
    This does not fill me with hope, this was how it was when I looked after a basic continuity check on the on off switch threw up a discrepancy

20200629_111725.jpg
    The only cap I can find, seems to run from A and Z,
    Last edited by v8ian; 29-06-2020 at 12:05.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict wakesupremo's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd say live to A neutral to Z. That would put the capacitor in the start circuit and there must be a centrifugal switch around the armature to switch it off at appropriate revs.
    If it's got tits or tyres, its gonna be trouble

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Someone stuck the same motor onto a Myford lathe.
    https://www.instructables.com/id/Wir...ase-lathe-mot/

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just spotted this one with 3 terminals like yours.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAI
    Last edited by brading; 01-07-2020 at 17:46.

Far Far sarf of Watford now!!! any further, my feet are wet!, Sunny Bexhill on Sea.
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    After a little research myself, I came to the thought of **** it, found a diagram that suggested A live AZ neutral, so wire it up as suggested, put the plug in, correctly wired this time, flick the switch and Vroooom, click and then Darkness, reset the breaker, and vroom and darkness again, swap over the wires, and vroom click darkness, bum, so I stripped the wires out from the connecting block and took the motor apart, it looked nice and clean, the inertia switch was free, checked the resistance of the field coils, they seemed to be within limits, checked the continuity if the inertia switch when closed, that was way off, so with a bit of emery paper I cleaned the contacts, now I had a good contact resistance, The motor went back together with doubts as I had seen a resistance between the case and the run field coil,
    I wired the motor as I did first time, whirr, click and the lights stayed on, tried this a couple of times, and it worked every time, left it running for an hour, and the motor was only slightly warm to touch, may be a different case when the motor is under load, we will see.
    Thankyou to all who have helped,

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information