Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ghost towns

Dragging not Bragging vince-305's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Ghost towns

Ive always been intrigued by American "ghost towns" and the pictures of cars that have been left and forgotten at the side of the roads out there and never have been out the UK (except day trip to France with school and the old yearly passports)

Do they still exist and why ?

I know you had the old miner towns (gold n silver) and when it all dried up they left

I would like to think that if i had the chance that i would find one of those ghost towns and move in (prefably one with a few old cars locally and water of course ) and i wonder why no one else just goes and collects the cars if OBVIOUSLY they dont have owners (extremely naive of me im guessing)

Anyone have any pics of any ?
    Bit'z 'N' Piece's
    Ford consul mk2 chevy powered highrider

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Vince. I guess the ghost towns still exist. The old abandoned cars certainly do. I have a relative. Not sure what he is to me but he married my cousin. He makes a very good living from visiting America and Canada taking pictures of old cars he finds. He has published be books of what he has found. Cant remember the name of the books but his name is Will Shiers and he is a desendent of a Titanic survivor. ( Just thought you'd like to know that ).

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quite possibly lots of ghost towns

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's loads of 'em in West yorks, Halifax is a good 'un-No industry,no white,working class people,loads of low class scumbags, and loads of knackred Honda civics and dis-used 827 rovers, on breeze blocks, without wheels, outside 'low-cost'(to them) homes!+ for some reason,theres always knackred settees thrown in the front gardens too
    Seriously though I'm a big fan of that stuff also. I look at all that Will Shears stuff, I get a kick out of trying to put myself there and imagine what it must have been like when it was working etc.
    Reviaux Abbey is a great place to expeirience 'that' feeling if theres hardly anyone around---obviously without the cars though!!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Went to Ryolite in Nevada a couple of years ago....at one time it had the poshest bank in the west USA, all marble and gilt and apparently one of the first building to be built using new fangled re-enforced concrete...there's still a railway station there...just no railway!! and a house made of bottles, A bit of a weird plalce to be honest with a strange atmosphere, the only old car there was a pick up too!

the only deserted village in the UK I have been to is Wharam Le Percy in Yorkshire...it's a nice walk off the road of about a mile...there's a cottage that's used by researchers, a pond and a derelict church All rather spooky really!!

Exceeded sell by date Plumpcars's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Times change for industry and so the population in towns and villages changes as well. As an example some really pretty places in the UK which people fight to protect were once centres of industries that have now died out. Beauty spots where many would not believe an industrial landscape once thrived. Try North Wales where quarrying and mining have almost died or nearer to home there are plenty of medieval villages that have long died out. Stand at Newlands corner near Guildford and try and believe that it was once an industrial landscape. The difference is that in the US the skeletons of these places have sometimes remained whereas over here they are gone.
    For a ghost town feeling visit Tyneham in Dorset...abandoned for a different reason and the skeletons still stand. No old cars though.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,Tyneham,that's one place i keep meaning to see,must do it this year before it starts to disapear.

http://www.weymouth-dorset.co.uk/tyneham.html

Exceeded sell by date Plumpcars's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil G View Post
    Steve,Tyneham,that's one place i keep meaning to see,must do it this year before it starts to disapear.

http://www.weymouth-dorset.co.uk/tyneham.html
    Well worth it Neil. Very atmospheric. You need to check the times though because of the tank ranges closing the access.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    in scotland there is an entire town which was built but was never occupied, some grand plan to build oil rigs which never came off but the town had been built, even down to a launderette complete with washing machines etc and its still there now. no abandoned cars though as no one ever lived there and its too remote for chavs to dump corsas
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/8113213.stm
    ttfn glenn

Official RnS Addict UK RUSS 1960 OLDS's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Hi All,

One of the scottish islands had a fair scattering of old cars (was on the news about 10 years ago) when the cars packed up they just got left as there was no scrapyard to take them to, the cost of taking them to the mainland was way to expensive to justify. I suspect that with the high price of scrap over the past couple of years somebody has probably cleared them up, but you never know.

Cheers.

Russ.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information