+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your sig says it all jim.

The Oddlot Drag Racing Team...havin fun is usual
    57 chevy wagon.
    540cui altered.
    your not drunk enough if you can lie on the floor without holding on..

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

of the Croydon Teds Nigel Incubator-Jones's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    We (as a society) do need to be more responsible about the way we use energy and I think most of us think that way.
    But knee jerk reactionary banning of things is not the answer. Yes new cars need to be made more efficient and less polluting and when you look at the progress made n the past fifty years we are on the right road.
    Greta and her gang says it's not enough and they may be right (I don't know as I'm not a scientist (don't think Greta is either)
    I can't see that making a non polluting electric car and then transporting it halfway round the world on a heavy oil burning ship is going to help.
    Sensibly spoken, but new cars do not need to be made less polluting. New cars need to be fun, just like old cars were. They need to be good-looking, they need to make nice noises and they need to be within the capabilities of the home mechanic to maintain. That's why old cars are good and hardly anyone gives a damn about new cars.

By all means, allow for development that will make cars less polluting and more efficient but don't enforce it, because that will make 'our' cars increasingly inaccessible as they age and interest will dwindle in a vicious cycle. Fewer people participating in the hobby means that business will dry up; loss of businesses makes our hobby harder to maintain; if the hobby becomes too much hard work, fewer people will participate in it...

Several thousand six-litre V8s all attending breakfast meets and cruise nights across America, Europe and Australia on a weekly basis don't so much as scratch the ozone layer. If there's a problem, it's from the thick-as-mince masses who seem to drift through life on autopilot, stopping only to populate the planet even more and using technology wherever possible to get out of what, in the past, would have been a manual task.

Try driving to work on the other side of Croydon on a school day, then try it again during the school holidays. It cannot be that inaccurate to estimate that a good 75% of rush hour traffic is gormless mums - you know, the ones with dyed blonde hair and huge sunglasses - driving their equally vapid offspring a distance of no more than two miles to school. Many of them get rid of their kids and then stay parked, with their engines running, so they can spend five minutes staring at their phones, meaning that parents who arrive after them have to drive round and round the block because all the parking spaces are taken. Many of them drive troll-faced SUVs, which pollute far more than necessary because the engines have to work harder to shift all their pointless bulk. American 1950s land yachts don't face the same criticism because what they lacked in efficiency the made up for in Quality - a perfectly good trade.

So you see what we're up against? Throngs and throngs of stupid, wasteful people, and they're too stupid to know that they're stupid. We are overpopulated but still we are told we need to build more houses. Send the diggers into the beautiful countryside, churn it all up and cover it with 10,000 cramped, cheaply-made, homogenous houses so people have somewhere to manufacture more people. And the residents must have cars because, more often than not, these housing estates are in the middle of nowhere and lack most amenities. If Long Marston ever gets built upon, the pollution from a drag meet every weekend will be nothing compared to the permanent movement of traffic.

There is a strange idea that we, as humans, must live as long as possible, and keep on living as if eternal life were both possible and desirable. That's why we get scare stories about rising sea levels, housing shortages, and Jamie Oliver banging on about how Mars Bars are responsible for a falling life expectancy. Who cares? For one thing, who wants to live past 80, and for another, who wants to live in a world with all the nice things sucked out of it just so it can support our unlimited existence?

One day there was nothing, one day there will be nothing again. That is true on every level from the personal to the universal. The Abrahamic religions all have their own ideas about an apocalypse, but so does science - before this 'climate emergency' it was accepted that the sun will consume the entire solar system in 4½ billion years time. Seeing as how one generation is going to have to succumb to an excruciatingly painful demise, I see no reason why it shouldn't be this one or the next one.

There are no winners and losers in life. From dust we come and to dust we return, no better or worse for it at the end. But while we have our fleeting existence, we can choose to live it miserably, as environmental puritans, desperately trying to delay the death that we can't escape, or we can have some fun with it and promote happiness through beauty, fun and, ultimately, the pursuit of Quality. I've made my choice and I'd be awfully grateful if the more authoritarian Thunberg types would let me mind my own business, for it is not my place to rule over them, and let me get on with it. Burn petrol, eat meat, and use electricity while it gives you pleasure to do so, but don't take it for granted and waste it. If you only need to travel a mile, walk instead of driving. If you buy a burger, eat the damn thing instead of throwing it away...

Unfortunately, Extinction Rebellion and company have foolishly channelled all of their faith into science, and questionable science at that since I'm sure very few of them have undertaken their own independent research into climatology, meteorology and so on, instead just blindly believing the findings of government-funded research, as preached in state-controlled schools and the mainstream media. Regardless, science is nought but knowledge. Knowledge is good but it must be taken as a supplement to wisdom rather than a substitute for it. That's where they're going wrong.
    Wanted! Back issues of Street Machine, American Car World/American Car and Classic American. Please PM.

4. LikesTorment, drseg liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want to join your party!

6. Likesmikelkca liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well said Zack.

Extinction Rebellion bang on about an impending disaster - but is it? And a disaster for who? Not the world, thats for sure. The world will carry on quite happily 2 degrees warmer and with 2 metre higher sea levels.

Humans may not fare so well, but is that a disaster? for humans possibly, but for the world - no.

We seem to be so vain that we think we have the right to mold the world to our vision and the status quo. Maybe the current climate change is less to do with pollution and more to do with nature maintaining its own status quo - which requires the removal of a big chunk of the human race.

If there were a species of animal that were not indiginous to a continent, but they had arrived and were destroying the environment of the continent, and were breeding at a rate that were unsustainable, would we as the human race not be intervening to cull or destroy that species?

Maybe this is just nature doing the same thing to the human race.

8. LikesTorment, legendlives liked this post
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpopracing View Post
    Well said Zack.

Extinction Rebellion bang on about an impending disaster - but is it? And a disaster for who? Not the world, thats for sure. The world will carry on quite happily 2 degrees warmer and with 2 metre higher sea levels.

Humans may not fare so well, but is that a disaster? for humans possibly, but for the world - no.

We seem to be so vain that we think we have the right to mold the world to our vision and the status quo. Maybe the current climate change is less to do with pollution and more to do with nature maintaining its own status quo - which requires the removal of a big chunk of the human race.

If there were a species of animal that were not indiginous to a continent, but they had arrived and were destroying the environment of the continent, and were breeding at a rate that were unsustainable, would we as the human race not be intervening to cull or destroy that species?

Maybe this is just nature doing the same thing to the human race.
    can we start with jeremy corbyn???????
    at least dick turpin had the decency to wear a mask!

10. LikesTorment, Slamera63, denby liked this post
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Protesting about climate change and pollution is all well and good, right up until you suggest to the protesters that they practice what they preach.
    The next time you are in a supermarket suggest to the mother who has just loaded a box of disposable nappies into her cart that she go back to how it used to be done, with towels and big safety pins. Tell her how environmentally friendly washing and reusing the towel nappies is and how disposable nappies make up 2 - 3% of the landfills and will take centuries to decompose.
    I have a rough idea what she will say and am 100% confident it will not result in the box of nappies being returned to the shelf.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-45732371

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    As I now reside in Somerset I sometimes refer folks to the Jurassic coast down the road. The excavated land proves that this neck of the woods has been under water, a desert, a frozen wasteland and a forested wonderland.
    Caused by an unstoppable universal nature.

There's enough humans to make like dinosaurs and create HUGE oil fields for the distant futures beings that rise from the one day coming primordial swine.

13. LikesChopperHarris liked this post
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

15. Likesv8.jimmy, Torment, 69 ford liked this post
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kustom Jim View Post
    Logistics probably would display that Mother Earth has finally spawned a being capable of a temporary destruction of an environment conducent to most living beings by sheer numbers and demand.

WWIII, plague, meteor strike or zombie virus will take the earth back to a more sustainable planet.
    Amen.

Ho hum
    I watched a TV program recently that said after the black death in the 1400's that wiped out about 60% of the population peoples health improved.
    Apparently this was because there was now plenty of food to go around with a smaller population.
    Just mother nature trying to get rid of her infection. And she's still trying.
    https://www.mdlinx.com/internal-medicine/article/3380

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow!! Makes sense for sure!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information