Looks great Grizz, I'll keep an eye out for it when I'm driving by

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by merlind100 View Post
    Looks great Grizz, I'll keep an eye out for it when I'm driving by
    Pretty much always at back in garage, out of sight. You need to see if my Audi A3 is on the drive, then pop in for a brew and a sniff around.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM MATE.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 54 devon View Post
    Rian, how soon do you need a tank? I have a couple that I bought for my boat project and will probably not be using. I am planning on getting the boat home soon to start work on it and will know fairly quickly which fuel tank I will be using. Your welcome to the other one. Trucks looking shiny!

Gary
    Thanks mate. Bit of elbow grease helps.
    Previous owner seems impressed with the effect of little changes too.

I want a smallish old boat tank with "patina" was offered a new Suzuki 20 liter one for nothing from Northampton, but passed on it as its too good.

I am in no major hurry as I have the other American bootfair jerry can, but it will be a nice to have the boat one with some pinstriping etc.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll get some pics at the weekend, if its any good i'll take it to the Supernats.

Gary.
    HELP STAMP OUT NEW CARS.....
    www.nothingbeingadvertisedhere.com

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Short report tonight.

Spent the day reading clinical papers, summarizing them and did some other studying and online training.

Postman had dropped of a 8000 pound capacity towball today, it has a 32mm stem, so now I need to have the hole in the bumper enlarged to fit it.
    Thanks to mate Tim for sending it.

I have also bought a pre-wired plug to fit on Saturday with Scott "Jabbo" doing all the actual work.

By 19.30 I had had dinner (thanks Nicola) and then sneaked out to the garage for some "Wax on, Wax off" action to help me unwind a bit.

Took the truck out and before I parked it, Mickey was there..... he loves the truck.

On the front bumper I used Wenol metal polish on the right, then mate Jon took a pic showing the left a bit dull.
    This convinced me to take of the number plate to clean up properly at least once.

Left side not yet polished, it all came up really well, also did the front grille and rear bumper. Satisfied with the results of my efforts.

After this I took my time and polished up the Chrome smoothies..... thought they were clean, polish proved me wrong.

Next up I used Autoglym tyre/tire polish for the tyres.

Before tyre polish but after rims were done.

Couple of pics to show size perspective of the truck, in relation to my daily Audi A3 for those who are interested.

Next to Nicola's Peugeot 1007

Truck now ready for 4th of July tomorrow :beer:

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    After work yesterday I raced about and took the truck, with Mickey my neighbour down to a local industrial estate to see if we could get the hole for the towball enlarged.

I had spoken to an engineering shop already who said bring it in after work, but he insisted we go try an old friend he had not seen a few years.

Got to where Raj had his shop before ..... Nothing. Turns out he moved a few years ago to much bigger premises less than a kilometer away.

Got there and the big guy was not there but "the boys" were impressed by the truck and prepared to give it a go (This is now after hours and Raj allows them to earn "a drink" (English term for a few pounds for a small odd job off the books, a bit like a tip)

Out came the Mag drill and some clamps along with a bit of 10mm steel plate. The drill has a strong electro magnet that allows it to effectively clamp onto the job and work as a pillar drill. With Mickey applying the cutting compound we soon had a 40mm hole for the 32mm bolt to fit through, yes I know, but a couple of heavy duty washers will sort that out. Everything still fits correctly.

Many hands make light work.

At this point Raj came back from a job site into the shop and if Mickey was a puppy he would have peed all over Raj's feet. They obviously have good friendship that has stood the test of time.

I gave the main operator £20 for a "drink" which he was very happy with. I believe in fairness and this will allow me to go back another day with some niggly job.

Job done.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I had Scott "Jabbo" over here today, he got called out to work last night, so had a quick few hours sleep this morning and then came over by 13.00

Scott had wired up the Grizz-Pod Teardrop Trailer a few years ago for me, I had a regular light board which he then wired up to the Taxi cab lights I fitted to the rear.

When it cam to wiring the truck for Euro lighting, I contacted Scott to ask if he was up for a bit of abuse..... to which he thankfully agreed.

I had cut and broken some of the driveway this morning and mixed a batch of concrete to redo the bits I had removed, just wrapping up when he got here.

Soon we had the truck out, and this was the view.

I decided to mount the plug under the load body, behind the bumper for looks and also to keep it safely tucked out of harms way, so this as the result.

My mate Peter "Goose" with whom I traveled in Europe on our bikes last year and his wife came down for an evening BBQ and sleep over as they wanted to join us for bootfair in the morning.

We found via Vernier caliper that the US Spec 2" chromed towball is about 1/2mm bigger than the UK Spec 50mm towball.

So he suggested stripping back the chrome to get it to fit securely into the trailer hitch.

Some time spent in the woodwork shed, gently sanding the ball on my linisher left us with a perfect fitting union.

Of course we needed to get some photos.

Scott and his family had recently moved to a new house and behind the shed he found this......

Seems I have a spare wheel rim now. Just need to get a tyre onto it. Thanks Buddy.

Next up I will clean and refurbish the rim.

That's all for now folks.

Bootfair in the morning.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right, went to bootfair this morning with some friends who slept over last night.
    Got lots of bits n bobs.

Then right at the end, last stall, there was a steel trunk.

Asked the price..... Got it for £10.00

Been looking for a trunk to bolt into the rear of the truck to act as seat at shows, safe box for tools, jack etc and another bit of "personal decoration" to add.

Brought it home and now have to decide what route to go.

Outside is completely rusted on the surface.
    Inside has been painted at some point.
    It also has "The Times of India" from 4th of July 1945 stuck in the bottom, fairly messed up, but we want to protect or keep it in there.

Advice needed please How do I keep the interior with the paper stuck to it in one piece and what way is the best for the outside?

My thoughts are clear varnish inside and clear lacquer on the outside with some pinstriping later when I can afford to have it done.

Latches are all brass.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    A little off topic right now, but we got to see Nicola's wedding car (truck) today at the bootfair.

When the guy brought her to where we were getting married, I did not even see her.

I was very pleased and impressed when I realized it though.

Gotta show her commitment to this whole truck thing.

I spent a few hours in the garage looking for stuff, including fresh nuts and bolts to put onto the towbar and plug plate that is hidden under the body of course.

Found some old locks and two had keys. One for the trunk we got today.

Selected this one in the end.

At the bootfair today someone was selling this former First aid box for 10p so about 15 cents.
    Had a purpose in mind and bought it for the truck. Copies of the insurance documents etc are all in there. And it fits behind the seat as well. Takes a large A4 plastic envelope easily.

Of course I had to decorate it a bit more appropriately as I had some stickers saved up from who knows when.

And inside as well.

During the afternoon I had also pressure cleaned and then sanded back the alloy wheel Scott brought me yesterday. Then painted it 4 coats of a random grey-white that I had bought at a bootfair four years ago.

The rest of this week will be very hectic, so I suspect nothing else will be happening around the truck till after the 16th of this month.
    In the mean time I will start looking for a pair of chrome smoothies with caps for the teardrop trailer as I am going to change the existing wheel adaptors that fit 4 stud hubs to take a set of 6 x 140 wheels and 15 inch white walls like the truck is wearing.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really nice update tonight.

I wrote a generic letter to all the previous "owners" addresses I could find in the trucks history file.

Got a lovely email and a couple of pics from the previous to previous owner tonight.
    Another step in the direction of creating and documenting a more comprehensive history of the trucks life.

I was wondering about maybe looking to see if I could contact it's last American owner too.

Here is a copy and paste of the email I got.

Hi Rian,
    Congratulations!! You are the owner of one badass truck! I sold it to Rob over a year ago to answer a calling I've had for a looooong time to get tasked into some vintage stuff (check the link to see see what I'm smoking around in these days)
    Tim O?Regan 1931 Chevrolet Independence Coach Tim has written this to give a brief insight into GM?s offerings from the same era as Ford?s A?s and early V8?s. ?Those with an aversion to historical anorak facts turn away now... Given that Ford's Flath
    I bought the truck off a chap called Mark in Hastings around four years ago - he a Scavenger and plays bass in a few rockin' bands. He bought it off a chap in St Leonards who was the first UK owner. I gave all the import papers to Rob when I sold it but I think it's been over here about 8-10 years.
    I had the trans rebuilt and swapped the dreadful slot mags it came with for the chrome smoothies it has now. The stickers on the back window were not my doing, you'll have to blame Rob for that although I did plant a couple on the glovebox and the rear window corners. The paintjob was an American lash up using truck paint - shame they rushed it but the colour's pretty cool nonetheless. The chopper guy you refer to in your letter is indeed me although I only carried bikes on the odd occasion as I prefer to ride 'em. Got a Triumph T140V based ride at the moment. Attached are a couple photos I took of the truck while I had it. Are you heading to the Hayride at the end of the month? I'd love to see the old girl again.
    All the best,
    Tim

I really love the setting and tone of these two pics.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 206 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information