Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hot Rod Pioneer

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Hot Rod Pioneer

Pete Farries, I've seen his name mentioned on here a few times, Pete has been building Hot rods since the beginnings of the scene here in the UK.

I wanted to write about the good friend that he is, about what he has done and what he is still doing, but he is very modest and I know it would **** him off, so hopefully the pictures will do the talking.

Starting with his most recent project, the 27 T roadster...

Apart from the boot lid and one door, the entire body is hand beaten... if you could see his tools or lack of them, you would be amazed at what he has done, everything is straight and as close to perfect as anyone could get.
    All used mechanical part have been rebuilt, to the point of new gears being made for the Jag rear.
    I'll try and find some more pictures, and post them later....

Next the El Camino,
    Its a beast, powered by THE little "M", made by dart "machinery" and is a full race block with 4 bolt steel caps on all 5 mains will hold 1200 bhp...this is 540bhp and its set up for road use... all valve gear is race comp cams.. Moser back axle with 3.9 gears and a Tru trak 9"diff.... prop shaft by dannys New York 850hp unit...new th 400 trans 2500 stall con... 825 cfm Barry Grant carb on Edelbrock air gap manifold ... Edelbrock E -tec 200 heads opend up and ported.......
    Every panel on the car is in fibreglass... all made by Pete, some really trick stuff on this monster....

From here on it'll just be pictures, but he really deserves more credit then just this, he built the very first steel 23 T in the UK, (the black widow) even casting the wheels, he was there at the start of Drag Racing, and so much more.

Almost forgot, he also own's, flyes and maintains an Auster WW2 reconnaissance plane.....

s.co.uk/455154006316b8d63.jpg[/img]
    Last edited by Iggy; 29-08-2014 at 16:29.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    very talented man

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Custom Car / Castrol Oil sponsored Avenger??

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some more pictures of the 27, Pete also did the upholstry, I can't think of anything he can't turn his hands to.....

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    Custom Car / Castrol Oil sponsored Avenger??

The Avenger. Restyled for Chrysler in association with Shell and Custom Car magazine. Led directly to the facelift Avenger called A Cricket in the USA.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bullnose El Camino - I like that a lot!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
    The Avenger. Restyled for Chrysler in association with Shell and Custom Car magazine. Led directly to the facelift Avenger called A Cricket in the USA.
    Yup, unsung long term rodder , just getting on an doing it .

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    A few more car's of interest, and a bit more of the story in his own words....

Here's the very first car I customised - started off as Triumph Herald Saloon - must have been early 60s - painted in Metalflake - I pulled the front out 9 in and fitted 59 Hillman Minx side lights. At the time I was running round in one of these - nearly new long wheel base Bedford CA - I read that the hardest job was a section so went straight outside with cutters and tin shears and took 6 in out of it - it looked great - still would today. I pulled the front out same as I had on the Triumph - I pivoted a 3.4 ltr Jag engine and box under the floorboards in the back bolted straight to the diff.I have no pic's but someone who was at Gravely would have..

There were a few people wanted to put on a drag race! So about 12 of us turned up at a disused airfield called Gravely near St Neots - I ran the Bedford van at that meet - I think Harold Bull was there and the team that later became Hound Dog - it was a good day out but we realised we didn't know how to run a drag race so the next meet was at the Norbury Hotel, Norbury in South London where we had a fabulous night drag racing with scalectric model cars in the assembly room.

The Model A is how it was when I sold it Bob in Birmingham - later became Fruit Machine - but you can see it has the wheels off the Black Widow.

The Monarch..was built for a young lady who wanted to drive something different..the Edwardian vehicle was all built from scratch by me including the brass lamps and rad

The F100 you will see has that same drawn out front - almost a trade mark by now - this was the first all fibreglass custom I built - had a HO 389 Pontiac in it - the engine pinched from one of the two American Ambulances I had - the Snake Pit as it was called because the back lights and the air scoops were Cobras with stainless fangs - I had a mate nicked me some red cats eyes for the snakes eyes - painted Kelly green it looked fantastic.

Now for all the non information that's about the Avenger - here's some photographs - info again no one knows - I fell out with Shell! We went to all the trouble to customise this car, we painted it and finished it fancy and then Shell insisted we strip it and paint it in there rally style - I did try to explane it was a custom but they would not listen ...hence the crap paint job.

I also built and sold 6 Austin healeys before loosing the molds in a fire ...

When drag racing started a consortium bought Asmodious a Keith Black car and Bill Wykelt became the driver - the car first turned up at Swindon at a Vickers aircraft day and nobody knew which cylinder was number 1 - me and a mate Phill timed the engine for them - they had a piece of paper with 7 lines of instruction on - the last line said wait 7 seconds and pull the chute.

The other guy with Bill at that time was Ed Shaver - he drove what was the John Wolfe AMX - I painted it before it was shipped back to the USA. I also at that time painted Ed Shaver's dragster Ecstacy. I am sat with ED in the photo..

"Does anyone have any pictures of the black and white PCF Motors boards on the start line at Santa Pod?"

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The clown car is still in use on great yarmouth sea front advertising the hippodrome circus, its in poor condition but i saw it only a couple of days a go.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any more details in the alien car?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in