Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  45
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Is hot roddin doomed?

Today's young drivers have grown up playing silly computer games, they don't know that a tool can fit into their hand. The ones I know want to buy brand new n pay £400 a month n add it to their Iphone rental.

their mind's are not on 'improving' what they have got, it's on getting newer n German.

In my day, it was 'fill in the rust, fit wider wheels n twin webbers'

What's your take on it lads?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

I'm a grown up member now ! orange's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It’s not all doom and gloom! I’m 34 and first picked up a spanner when my dad bought home a knackered Cadillac 20 years ago. Bought my first rod 3 years ago and having done all the jobs/maintenance on 70 year old car that need doing in that time, I’m really looking forward to taking the engine out and rebuilding it this winter.

I will admit though - may not have got into it if it wasn’t for dad, so I think having someone to show you the way is important!

And - I must admit, I do drive something modern and German as the daily, because they just do what they’re meant to, reliably and without hassle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure about doomed, but orange must bring down the average age of the current hot rodder by quite a margin! There are many reasons why fixing up or modifying cars isn't quite what it was: for the last twenty or thirty years cars have become more complicated; that means today's teenager probably hasn't watched his/her parent trying to keep an old car going; as a consequence they're harder to modify and how do you learn?; there's been a separation of hobby cars from daily drivers. They were one and the same when I started out, so you need storage space, spare cash rather than the necessity of getting a car going to drive to work on Monday; insurance is so high for a youngster; it's so easy to buy a late model/new car on a PCP with a relatively affordable monthly payment; kids don't learn practical skills at school; current obsession with IT related stuff, which can be done from bedroom, bus stop etc; if building a pukka hot rod, raw material is relatively expensive; fashions change and probably a million other reasons...............

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    With the country becoming so populated and more and more people accepting that living in an apartment in a congested city or urban location is the norm there won't be the opportunities to park or garage a car. With insurance rates generally several times the cost of the car many younger potential driver are opting out of even bothering to take driving lessons preferring to spend their money on booze, drugs and take-aways.
    This is exactly what HMG wants - a servile, controlled future population. As an example to the stupid lengths London borough's and TFL are prepared to go to relating to control of our vehicular movements - Bus Lanes. Have we all seen the bus lane that are perhaps 24/7 (even though the buses using the routes are rarely operational 24/7) - the latest friggin' stupidity is this from TFL - you really couldn't make it up yourself - FFS don't get caught out by it -
    24-hour bus lanes trial
    As part of a trial from 13 September 2020, most bus lanes on the red routes now operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    This is to support a sustainable recovery from the pandemic by helping to make bus journeys more reliable and consistent. It also helps reduce bus congestion and create more space to help make the roads safer for cyclists.
    To keep the bus lanes clear, some parking bays are suspended during the trial. Blue Badge parking facilities has not change.
    Loading bays are not affected for now, but we'll monitor how they impact bus reliability to understand if they can be moved in the future.
    Road users such as taxis, motorcyclists and cyclists have the same access to bus lanes as they had before. Only the hours of operation has changed. This page has further details about which vehicles can use a bus lane"

So how can stopping car use of bus lanes improve congestion for buses if (for example) in the early hours when there arn't buses running anyway. As for making bus lanes safer for cyclists - isn't it mainly the buses that run the cyclists over anyway?

COMING TO YOUR AREA SOON?
    Last edited by roscobb; 02-10-2020 at 16:23.
    Carburation suck'shttps://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/customavatars/avatar199184_4.gif

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes ,it IS doomed but so is motoring freedom in general. The only thing open to debate is really WHEN will the moment come and what will be the final nail in the coffin.

I don't have alot of time left so no longer a problem for me. Don't think youngsters have any real interest nowadays in learning how to use their hands.

Motoring is now more and more about moving people from one place to another and not about the joy of the drive.

All good things come to an end

7. Likes English Impala liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only attempt at tuning cars by youngsters that I'm aware of, is that every other small hatchback around here is driven on the rev limiter in every gear and pops bangs and backfires like hell on the over run through it's 3" tailpipe!

I know they have limited options, but WTF?
    Whirrr whirrr chuff chuff de chuff........chuff......BRUMMMM!

My Chevy thread: https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/sho...y-coach-403745
    Rugged Robin 2/3rd track: https://www.facebook.com/Rugged.Robin.tracked/

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO Hot Rodding is doomed, partly because kids today ain't interested, partly because of safety minded legislation, partly because of the way motoring in general is heading with moving away from fossil fuels, and partly due to the quest for autonomous vehicles - a self driving hot rod anyone?

Now for the controversial bit . . . . .

It seems to me that the introduction of legislation back in 1985 that eventually became the BIVA we have today has thrown something of a lifeline to the hot rodding scene . . WHAT, I HEAR YOU CRY!!!!!!! - Well, BIVA allows us to continue, for the time being at least, to do what might otherwise already have been totally outlawed if organisations like ACE had not, with little support from some quarters I might add, fought our corner.

Perhaps you would all like to discuss this whilst I go and hide in the cupboard under the stairs . . . .

10. Likes kapri, mygasser, Magman liked this post
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    it think its been on a decline for a few years its not an affordable hobby as were the days of a cheap jack up kit and furry dice and all meet up at a local pub is long gone, cars have changed so much parts not interchangeable as when you had a ford pop off to the scrap yard for Viva front end and a jag back axle the yards full of them but now like rocking horse poo, now you have them hand made and have seen some absolutely fantastic work from people on here but doesn't come cheap. Back in the day a lot of customising /hotrods was done by the owner some good some not so good now its off to here for this off to there for that trailer queens as we used to call them and there used to be loads of local clubs local cruises and things like the Chelsea cruise you dont even have the "the boy racers " anymore sad to see it go this way as i miss the camaraderie of the old clubs

12. Likes kapri liked this post
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i recon every rod shop in the country will dissagree that its dying.
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

14. Likes orange, fozwanger liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    With the amount of containers full of cars and trucks that are being imported weekly and then usually rodded, and hot rods and modified British classics still being built I think it’s still growing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information