Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm turning green ?

Or something equally strange ? Marians Rover is just about to run out of MOT so ,even though it needs only a tiny hole in the sill fixing, I can't be bothered. Now the strange thing is I'm actually feeling guilty about this ??
    It's a 63k from new motor and drive superbly but I can get enough back by weighing it in to make it's initial cost negigible .

I've never felt guilty about weighing in cars before. Strange situation in that something with probably a minimum of 5 good years left in it is simply unsaleable ??

Never mind scrapping incentives they ought to do something about good cars going to waste if they want 'green'?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Cock
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're not turning green Kev. You're just mouldy...

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well if its a good car then dont waste it, fix it !!........otherwise what are you gonna do, buy another car.
    Our VW Golf failed its MOT earlier this year, needed welding, brake pipes, and rear shocks. The welding turned out not to be as bad as first thought, had the lines done, picked up a decent set of 'used' coilover shocks and bingo, back on the road.
    I mention this as the car is not that good looking, (ebay, £350) its 10 yrs old, done 125k, BUT its diesel, its cheap to run and it keeps going. My wife uses it to go back and forth to the train station each day and we use it on long trips.
    I always think that if you know what you've got runs well and you're happy with it, then keep it.....unless of course you can afford a new car that is !!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post

Never mind scrapping incentives they ought to do something about good cars going to waste if they want 'green'?

That is soooo last year, they threatened all new car buyers with a scary road tax scheme even before the credit issues which made people think twice about buying one and keeping what they had ( much greener). Result was not enough new car sales so lets just chuck money about to get back to were we was 12 months ago.

Its all so simple with your snout in the trough of greed.

Keep it you are better off with the devil you know.

Grown up? Never!
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Break out the mig Kev, you know it makes sense! or you could just mastic on a patch that's what they do round here, by the looks of it
    Chaley
    And on the 6th day Man created god.
    Tetanus

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Already bought the replacement with an engine and box that will come in handy for any future projects, a good old Ford Sapphire DOHC 4 speed auto . 53k, full Ford service history and 1 owner from new .

I would fix the Rover and keep it but the truck will be my new daily.

I only by old normal cars for dailies , once they reach the need fixing stage they go to make way for the next cheapy.

We only paid £450 for it last years with a years tax and mot ( so only £300 in reality ). Weigh it in for £100 , save the £50 not MOT'ing it and then we've had a years motoring for £150 , as opposed to losing that much a month on depreciation on new stuff.

The one before that ,another Honda powered Rover , we had for 2 years, bought with only 35k on the clock, for £500. The next door neighbour was looking for a cheapy so I stuck a fresh ticket on it and sold it for £300

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    We live near the local scap metal dealers. You would not believe the amount of rust free tidy looking cars on their way there. I remember in my early days everything started rusting after 5 or 6 years (or 3 if it was a Vauxhall). You always expected to be welding for the MOT each year. I had a Moggy traveller that looked like a patchwork quilt underneath where a bit more was patched each year. Wheras rust used to kill cars it is now the over technical mechanics that are too costly to repair.

Offering scappage makes me laugh. I think I am more green, having had my trusty old E28 BMW for six years. You wouldn't catch me trading it in for a piece of modern crap. How much damage to the enviroment does making a new car cause? Everthing is plastic nowadays.

God, I am in grumpy old man mode. Don't get me started!

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Micks47 View Post
    it is now the over technical mechanics that are too costly to repair.
    The clutch pedal hit the floor on me mate's Freelander over the weekend. Turns out the operating shaft through the box seizes in its bushes, it's a common fault on them (mmm, how come that never happened on Austin Sevens or Moggies?). Then the 2mm(!) thick bracket cracks, then the plastic(!) slave cylinder breaks apart. Which is a complete sealed unit including master cylinder. He's been quoted approx £800 to fix it (the boxes are a ******* to get in and out). There was a time you could just have fitted a new clutch cable........

Semi Proffessional Prat sidspop's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Seeing as you put it so logically Kev in terms of running costs per annum, I think you are right in getting shut of it. Scrapyards round here full of Rover k series cars, simply because the head gasket has gone. At about £350 for HGF, on a car that may be worth £500, it's just not a viable repair.

Not too many years ago, and I can remember my old man doing this, some Sunday mornings were spent with a service kit of new plugs, points, leads, condenser, and if really feeling generous, a head gasket kit to give it a de-coke.
    People took pride in the maintenance of their vehicles, and understood them. The local neighbourhood mechanic would be asked for advice if needed, and everybody was happy with what they had, 2nd or 3rd or 4th hand Zodiac etc.

Nowadys cars are so bloody complicated, full of brains, ECUs, ABS, memory seats, navigation aids, music systems etc etc etc, and it has become a throwaway society, so nobody needs to understand cars. Just scrap it and buy a new one if it's knackered.

And the ironic thing is that whereas 30 years ago, rodders in general would be partially reveered, for their mechanical abilities, nowadays we are seen as some kind of social pariahs, because we dare to tinker.

Good call on the twin cam Kev, sounds ideal to me.

Andy

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    When they drop the big one they will be 2 things that survive , cockroaches and rodders

You think current cars are complicated wait til 2014 when more EU meddling kicks in. Even more cars will bite the dust when a piece of uneccesary ( to normal function) technology fails

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information