Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Milner for PM! Nigel Incubator-Jones's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Kenley Custom Car & Bike Show Photos

Now in its third year (and its third name), the late summer show at Kenley Aerodrome suffered a bit this year from gloomy skies and competition from three other custom shows in nearby parts of Surrey. Previous attendance has probably been knocking on 200 vehicles; I don't think we came close to that this year, but there was still a nice mix of regular show-goers alongside some previously unseen cars, plus a few that I just hadn't seen for ages.

Standard Vanguard was an unusual choice for pro street treatment

I showed a pic a couple of weeks ago, and I'm showing another one, 'cos you can't have too much of a good thing. Russ Carpenter's historic Grenade dragster, from 1970, proved to be a popular attraction.

'65 Pontiac Catalina has lovely lines and is very well suited to turquoise

'53 Chevys are pretty cars, but I hope the creased stick-on flames aren't too remain on it much longer.

1960 Chrysler Valiant has been making the occasional appearance at shows for a few years now, and it's always a pleasure to see something a bit outside the norm

'68 Falcon as a nice, tough street racer look about it, and should be nice to see when it's finished

It wasn't all American and custom - any cool cars (plus a few questionable ones) were allowed onto the show field, so we were all fortunate to see an Auto Union 1000. I'm trying to think of an interesting fact about this car, but the best I can think of is that Jim Clark drove the very closely related D.K.W. 3=6 in his first ever motor race.

There weren't loads of old 'bikes this year, but an interesting one was this Honda-engined B.S.A. Apparently, purists don't like it, but they don't seem to like much, and as someone whose knowledge of 'bike engines is somewhat limited, I thought it was quite cool. It looked and sounded good anyway, and is probably much easier to use regularly than a ******* Stopped Again engine.

Just thought I'd show a shot of this neat Nova 'cause the paint was nice and vibrant despite the lack of sunlight, so I was quite happy with the shot.

More on it's way, of course.
    Wanted! Back issues of Street Machine, American Car World/American Car and Classic American. Please PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great pictures and...great write up's. I may have mentioned this before (but, if I haven't, I've thought it but not actually mentioned it) you'd do well working for a motoring magazine, if you don't already work for a motoring magazine of course.
    Either way; thanks for the pictures and the write up's.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers, that's not something I currently do but I would love to.

Now we're all used to seeing Zephyrs looking pretty with two-tone paint and lots of chromework, but they look just as good in a more minimalist style

Trans Am was spotless and looked great, although it was one of very few '70s American classics. I even thought the brown was quite cool, and it's not normally a colour that improves the appearance of cars.

A Studebaker of any description is a rare car, so I always get excited to see one, in this case a '49 pick-up.

55 years later, when the vast majority of mass-produced vehicles were made with built-in tedium, the Yanks could still put together a proper pick-up, as these '04 and '03 Rams go to show.

Another interesting classic was this Gordon-Keeble GT, of which only 99/100 were made. At the Gordon-Keeble's 50th anniversary event in 2014, 41 of the cars were present.

Handsome 327-powered A sedan is a Kenley stalwart

An element missing from Kenley that had appeared in the past was the tribe of Indians (with the odd Harley and Excelsior) that I loved. There was only one this year, but it was a good 'un - a 1934 Indian Four with sidecar.

A pick-up again, and this smooth mid-'50s F-100 was a nice representative for contemporary custom styles.
    Wanted! Back issues of Street Machine, American Car World/American Car and Classic American. Please PM.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

A bit more pro street badassedness from this Cutlass Supreme, courtesy of Surrey Muscle. The Surrey Muscle brothers have also built a Trans Am in a similar style, and you can expect them to be capable of making some properly powerful cars, considering their dad was responsible for two Merlin V12-engined specials (the Beasts I & II).

A few stock early '60s Yanks sat around looking pretty. One was this '64 Fairlane.

Another was this '64 Monterey.

Black Mk. III had an air of menace about it, with big chrome smoothies filling the arches nicely.

Lovely looking Cougar. The attractive reflective plates with raised digits would suggest to me that this was imported almost from new, which is cool.

There was surprisingly little in the way of traditional builds at Kenley, the closest we got was this very good looking A pick-up.

The pick-up arrived with this sedan, one of the cars I'd not seen before. I quite fancy the look of this in dark metallic orange.

A '54 Plymouth Savoy. While Johnny Cash was wanting a long and black Cadillac, he was driving around in one of these - the '54 Savoy was his first car.

Best in Show went to this recently imported, Buick V6-powered Morris Z-Type van. Somehow finding itself in America, its rodded life began in Vancouver, Washington, sometime after a sale in '67. I imagine it's evolved somewhat to reach its current guise, and it seems to be understandably popular, as the Kenley award was at least its second after it took Best in Show at Wheels Day.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information