Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Compulsive chicken choker English Impala's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Kia Ceed clutch issues

Anyone have any experience of clutch issues with Kia's or Hyundai's? The problem seems to affect both and affects my parents 2013 Kia Ceed 1.6CRDi.

The bite point is so low to the floor that you have to try and shove the pedal through the floor to select a gear, it's getting a bit much for my step-father at the age of 86! The car is low mileage (50K) and they bought it when it was 5 years old with 36K on the clock. A friend has checked the registration number and discovered that the car has had TWO new clutches before my parents had it, making me suspect that the Kia dealer tried in vain to sort this. Looking on the various forums it seems to be a very well known issue with no apparent cause. It seems to affect both Kia and some Hyundai models at random.

There are a few bodge fixes quoted online involving removing the clutch damper to improve the pedal travel but I'm curious if anyone on here has any real-world experience of this before they go to the expense of changing the car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    have it professionally lowered that will fix it!
    at least dick turpin had the decency to wear a mask!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mmmm, I wonder if it's self adjusting at the pedal ( rather than just self adjusting like on a diaphram clutch ).They can have a problem of shedding teeth . However I'd have thought it was more a case of cable stretch OR maybe the bulkhead fitting moving/ popPing whatever effectively taking the tension out of the cable .

VW Polos used to have a habit of twisting the locating area on the actual clutch pedal which would slowly lower the pedal until it ripped through.

The fact it's had two clutches suggest neither really soved the problem and no one has looked elsewhere or for other makes with similar problems.

5. Likes English Impala liked this post
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    dunno about cee`d ,but hyundai (same as a kia) santa fe has a recall /warranty on the clutch master cylinder. 3 clutches 79k, before dealer changed master cylinder........fuds
    Last edited by scotb; 13-07-2020 at 20:11.

7. Likes English Impala liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It’s a hydraulic system with the clutch master cylinder fed from the brake reservoir. Spent some time today looking in various Kia forums & it’s quite common with the blame being put down as being a build up of tolerances! I drove it on Sunday & it’s horrible. They should have gone for an auto.....

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hydraulics ? In this day and age? Never crossed my mind !!

I'm guessing it's internal slave ( careful now ) cylinder inside bell housing?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    No it’s proper old-school, external slave cylinder and push rod on the side of the bell housing, almost impossible to reach though!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    can you feel if there's any free play at the pushrod? if so maybe weld a bit more length onto the end assuming it's not adjustable (as that would be far too sensible).
    neil.
    neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    My mrs 2013 Vauxhall Astra was the same. I was going to cut the pedal and weld it so it was a bit higher, but she would not let me. Sold it now and got a 1.6 turbo focus - that has a lovely clutch - goes quite well too........

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    can you feel if there's any free play at the pushrod? if so maybe weld a bit more length onto the end assuming it's not adjustable (as that would be far too sensible).
    neil.
    neil.
    Tried that and there's nothing, also the push rod starts to move as soon as the pedal is pressed so it sounds "internal" but seeing as so many of them seem to suffer with it it sounds design/tolerance related. I've suggested they do the same as Mark & get rid of it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information