Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  1
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Grown up? Never!
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    “Vacuum secondaries” Other than that and couple of others, I really enjoyed it

Chaley
    And on the 6th day Man created god.
    Tetanus

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fords biggest contender was Porsche. Yeah I loved Porsche. Best ever headline in a sports magazine was on Autosport headline read "Porsche crush Ferrari".

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a movie some five years old, The race to Le Mans, that is a documentary of the exact couple of years this new movie is, in fact I thought I’d somehow got Le Mans 66 on my telly. Pretty interesting, lots of original film.

I still plan on going to see Le Mans ‘66 on IMAX though.
    Never make the mistake of thinking that the rut you're in is really a groove.

Official RnS Addict Cragarsarecool's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Loved the film, went to see it on Tuesday night and still coming down. Really warmed to Ken Miles - more to his Mrs though!!!
    Funny, no mention of Slough, John Wyer, Eric Broadley and Roy Lunn, how queer - but then it is American, which probably explains why GT40s are right hand drive!
    And the comment above - "Vacuum secondaries," right next to a car that blatantly there isn't a Holley in sight.....
    Very entertaining - bit like Dunkirk, where they all came home on railway coaches that weren't built until 25-years later. Hmmm.....
    Loved it though, would go back and see it again - the big screen makes it most excellent.
    The Original Terry Fuckwit...

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking forward to it. I think with this sort of thing you have to suspend belief and just get into the spirit of it. Ken Miles was a real character by all accounts, built his own specials, and helped develop the Sunbeam Tiger.

I love this period and often think it would have been great to have been a fairly well off single 30 something in Southern California in the mid-Sixties, nice climate, pre-fuel crisis, iconic cars and bikes just as the horsepower race was really getting going, and maybe racing in SCCA events at the weekend. I'm a Piscean, as my wife reminds me!

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Went to see it last night and really enjoyed it, I know its a true story but not sure how much was fact and how much was dressed up to make the film as I don't personally know , don't want to spoil it for anyone planning to watch it but hated the controling ways of the bosses over the little guys and if those team orders and the result for Ken was true it was so wrong.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    don't read this if you haven't seen it, don't want to spoil it for you......

but it seems all the key points are accurate! i thought it was a great film, well presented, and a fitting way to tell Kens story. like the film 'Rush', it's a story of the people, rather than a totally historically accurate documentary.

https://slate.com/culture/2019/11/fo...iBOS3R4vL7bndw

Milner for PM! Nigel Incubator-Jones's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've just seen it and it more or less lived up to my expectations, but I learnt a lot more than I realised I would - evidently it had been very well researched. The only disappointment was, as I had reckoned in advance, the way the characters are written. Shelby and Miles were obviously both extremely intelligent people but they were given some quite base, superfluous dialogue which bordered on being gob****ey Hollywood cliché, and the idea that they would be the sort of people to engage in a spontaneous, barely provoked public brawl was implausible and embarrassing.

What else? The sound editing... We see footage of three races and in all of them the engine noise is subdued and sometimes overdubbed with music. What were they thinking? The firing of an old engine is Vulcan's own orchestra, so let it be heard! I don't really think either Le Mans '66 or Ford vs. Ferrari were appropriate titles - the film is really a profile of Shelby and Miles and the title ought to reflect that.

All in all, I was impressed. I feared the worst, thinking Hollywood would find a way of making a total hash of two venerable characters, but that hasn't been the case. As with any 'true story', a few events need to be taken with a pinch of salt but, except for that stupid fight, they don't jump out of the screen as being ludicrous. The main thing is that it draws attention to Ken Miles, who generally wouldn't be known by those (like me) without a far-reaching interest in 1960s sports car racing. The responsibility may fall to the viewer to do a bit of fact-checking, but that is permissible for the fact that it shines a light on some overlooked details of an important subject and hopefully succeeds in nurturing an interest in historic racing in the young generation, in the face of relentless eco-bull**** propaganda.
    Wanted! Back issues of Street Machine, American Car World/American Car and Classic American. Please PM.

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Went to the big screen last night and 66 was a good night out.....

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    was an entertaining film
    but very american hollywood story.

the cars where actually designed and built in England by Lola.
    would have been nice ot make that clear.

Shelby while a great driver and maybe a good salesman was not that genius designer portrayed.

but a fun film to watch.
    sent from my Commodore vic 32

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information