Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Lola& Madison Wood

We've been asked by Colin Wood Snr,and Little Woody,if we'd consider putting this thread up,i have been friends with Colin for over 30 years,and he is a close personal friend,aswell as a respected car builder,who would do just about anything in his power to help out anyone he could.please take the time to read their story,Woody has asked to present a memorial trophy for Lola at Steel City this weekend,and a collection will take place,We would be happy to accept donations from RnS users ,and pass them on to Colin,should you wish to support this very worthy cause,thanks for reading,Bry

--------------------------------------------------------------

In 2008 Kelly and Colin wood were about to become the proud parents of twins. They already had daughter Izzy who was 5 at the time and was excited to become a big sister. Kelly was to have a natural birth with the twins. On October 2nd 2008 Lola and Madison Wood were born, beautiful, little twins. Lola came naturally, Madison by caesarean, Kelly lost a lot of blood which resulted in an emergency blood transfusion. Both babies were full-term of good, healthy weights and with no problems. When they came home they both became jaundiced so they was taken back to the Royal Oldham hospital. At six days old Colin & Kelly noticed something wasn’t right with Lola, doctors and nurses thought they was being over the top but compared to Madison you could tell straight away. On October 9th Lola unexpectedly died at only one week old, the cause at this time was unknown. After Lola died they wanted to get Madison checked out but they didn’t find anything at first. On October 12th just a few days after the death of Lola, Madison was rushed to Booth Hall after she starting screaming and was grey, battling for her life. The knew that there was something up with her heart and they managed to stabilise her but she was still critical.

She was then transferred to Pendlebury hospital. There the doctors told Colin and Kelly she was dieing and the only choice was to put her on a machine called E.C.M.O machine (extra corporeal membrane oxygenation) ECMO is used when a patient has a serious condition which prevents the lungs or heart from working normally. The ECMO machine is very similar to heart and lung machines used during open-heart surgery. It is a supportive measure that uses an artificial lung (the membrane) to oxygenate the blood outside the body (extracorporeal).There are only four ECMO centres in the country and the nearest to Madison was in Glenfield hospital, Leicester. Others are in Newcastle, Glasgow & London. Madison was on the ECMO machine for two weeks, when coming off the machine Madison had a one in four chance of survival. Madison was then moved back to Pendlebury to intensive care and gradually she improved and after 13 weeks she came home on Christmas eve 2008. After

3 weeks home Madison turned poorly again and went back to hospital for a further three months moving from intensive care, to high dependency and back again before she made progress and returned home. Madison remains on medication and requires regular checkups to keep and eye on her condition. After being given five hours to live at first she’s really pulled through. She is a miracle baby. Madison is mending slowly but surely. From Lola’s post mortem they found out she died from viral myocarditis a infection that attacks the heart, Madison was going through the same thing. So with this knowledge is has helped save Madison. As now the virus could be treated and also her heart as the virus damaged it. People are encouraged to raise awareness of the British Heart Foundation as it can benefit a lot of people, such as children who will need life-long support like Madison. The family have set up Lola’s fundraising appeal in aid of the British heart foundation. Madison is nearly 2 and is a happy and healthy toddler the family wants to give something back to those who helped them the most. Colin and Kelly are urging people to take part as it means to much to them, people should support the charity as it is so close to there hearts.

Today Madisons grandad Woody is dedicating a trophy in memory of Lola he will be picking a car of his choice for it.

My Intro
    Insurance Repairs, MOT Work
    or Full On Restorations

Roberts Motor Bodies

Home of Henry Hirise
    Click to visit our website.

View the Henry Hirise Re-Build

When was the last time you did something for the first time ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow , we must all count our blessings....
    visit us at www.luckydevil777dragracing.com "life isnt an audition"

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Though I can't make it to Sheffield for the show, I would like to contribute something to the charity if you can let me know how.
    I'm a bit rubbish with expressing myself in situations like this (typical bloke) but I'd like to give my sympathy and best wishes to Colin, Madison and the family.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bry put me down for some and add it to my bill please

Stu

cw motors paint and body little woody's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks bry , my little madison is doing good now and with out charitys like the british heart foundation she wouldnt be here with us today.

so if you are going to the steel city rod run at weekend and you see the little red collection box, please throw some charge as it will all be going to help children like madison .

thanks alot colin jnr

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    unfortunately we wont be there im afraid but if bryan is taking henry to the drags i will come and see him and put my little bit in too. all the best to all the family from me and Penni

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie derek 33 ford's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Madison aged 21 months

Kelly and Colin Jnr have asked me to post a recent picture of Madison.

Madison is doing really well and will be 2 in October and it's all thanks to the doctors and nurses at the following hospitals

Booth Hall

Pendlebury ICU

GLenfield PICU

that's why all the family are raising money for the British Heart Foundation the money raised is going to the Manchester Childrens hospital where Madison now attends on a regular basis.

Madison is such a brave little girl and is very much loved by all her family. Her big sister Izzy adores her also.

If you would like to donate please make cheques payable to The British Heart Foundation (Lola Fund).

Our biggest wish would be that Lola was still here with us but sadly that was not to be but she will always be in our hearts.

Kelly is also doing a Zipwire at Baitings dam on Sunday and would love any sponsors.

Thank you

Izzy, Lola and Madisons Grandma and Grandad

Derek and Susan Gibson

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    count me in for a donation
    as i have known colin jnr and kelly for many years and when my luke was born woody snr was best choice for godfather ..

steve

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MADISON SHE IS TWO TODAY!!!! LOVE FROM GRANDAD, NANNA, AUNTY KIRSTY. WE ALL LOVE U LOTS XXXX
    (thinking of lola) xxxx

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a tragic/ heartwarming story. My heart goes out to all involved, and indeed, happy birthday to Madison. We used to do Christmas lights in our Close for charity (Heart foundation, Cancer research, Building blocks etc) and raised somewhere near 40k over the years. The local council in their wisdom stopped us doing it because it became a traffic nightmare, we were even getting 52 seater coaches coming up from Kent too see them. We had around 300,000 lights between the several houses that took part, and used to take a week off work individually to put them up. When you hear of stories like this it makes it worth every freezing cold day up a ladder finding that one light that has put a whole line out. Tel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information