Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'm a grown up member now ! witchywoo's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for a sympathetic MOT garage in Essex/ Herts

Hiya,

I'm in Harlow and i'm looking for a MOT garage who will be sympathetic to my 1949 Ford Anglia.

Obviously your normal run of the mill garage won't know quite what to make of him!

Any points in the right direction will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Proud owner of Henry the 1949 Anglia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think any mot place would mot it as a car regardless so i would just book it in somewhere. If its going to fail, it will fail for a reason. There cant be much to check on it and if its solid enough with good brakes etc then it should pass. Has the mot ran out or have you bought it and trying to get it mot'd?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    totally agree,am a tester and quality controller for a test station and an mot is an mot,all test stations go by the same book,shouldnt matter where you take it,we do everything from 3 year old cars to hotrods,kit cars thru to 1920's pickups,they cant refuse to test your vehicle and if it fails and you think it shouldnt have then theres channels you can go down.
    the mot test really isnt that bad

Official RnS Addict falfasrevenge's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Yes,they should all go by the book,just some dont know how to read it.Took a mates '55 truck to my local mot station after a full nut 'n bolt rebuild,everything was new and all metalwork painted.The mot man wanted to fail it because it didnt have outside mirrors,just internal one............... Had to get the supervisor from their other branch to come and check it as he didnt beleive me about not necessary on a pre.... vehicle.
    Thinks whats being asked is an mot tester used to older vehicles
    F**k the Circus !!!!

Official RnS Addict UK RUSS 1960 OLDS's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by falfasrevenge View Post
    Yes,they should all go by the book,just some dont know how to read it.Took a mates '55 truck to my local mot station after a full nut 'n bolt rebuild,everything was new and all metalwork painted.The mot man wanted to fail it because it didnt have outside mirrors,just internal one............... Had to get the supervisor from their other branch to come and check it as he didnt beleive me about not necessary on a pre.... vehicle.
    Hi Russ,

Couldn't agree more. Also anomilies afforded to vehicles because of age / country of origin get overlooked because the tester is not used to testing these types of vehicles, ie white and red indicators, seat belts, emissions, mirrors etc etc.

Cheers.

Russ.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i agree with the above,

BUT when i had my 105e tested it failed, not a problem i thaught only the front lower ball joints (excess play). but it took 3 weeks for me to track down 2 new ones and because it was to long for a free retest i had to pay for another test and it failed again same thing after fitting the new ones
    so i asked how he tests this part of the car and i was told that he used a lever bar to test for play it was at this point i got a bit peed off i told him they are sprung loaded...he said "in that case they are ok, it's passed"

so what was wrong with the old ones ? nothing probably,
    just wasted my time and money. iv not been back since..

i guess it's all about knowing about the older cars not just knowing what to fail it on....

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Try Rides in Waltham Cross. Run by Hot rodders & racers. All the comments above are correct, but some garages will try harder to find something wrong with your type of car.

I have no connection with this garage, 01992 628296 R/O 272-274 High St Waltham Cross EN8 7EA

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by falfasrevenge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by UK RUSS 1960 OLDS View Post
    Hi Russ,

Couldn't agree more. Also anomilies afforded to vehicles because of age / country of origin get overlooked because the tester is not used to testing these types of vehicles, ie white and red indicators, seat belts, emissions, mirrors etc etc.

Cheers.

Russ.
    Quote Originally Posted by loon View Post
    i agree with the above,

BUT when i had my 105e tested it failed, not a problem i thaught only the front lower ball joints (excess play). but it took 3 weeks for me to track down 2 new ones and because it was to long for a free retest i had to pay for another test and it failed again same thing after fitting the new ones
    so i asked how he tests this part of the car and i was told that he used a lever bar to test for play it was at this point i got a bit peed off i told him they are sprung loaded...he said "in that case they are ok, it's passed"

so what was wrong with the old ones ? nothing probably,
    just wasted my time and money. iv not been back since..

i guess it's all about knowing about the older cars not just knowing what to fail it on....
    All the above are what I was getting at.
    I don't feel there is anything wrong with the car but you can always get people who don't get it. My partner has a rat look beetle and he's had all this before.

I just want a fair test by someone who knows about old cars.

Quote Originally Posted by great68 View Post
    Try Rides in Waltham Cross. Run by Hot rodders & racers. All the comments above are correct, but some garages will try harder to find something wrong with your type of car.

I have no connection with this garage, 01992 628296 R/O 272-274 High St Waltham Cross EN8 7EA
    Cool that sounds great. I'll give them a ring.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    take the rope of the bumper it obscures the plate and is failable if they want to pick faults

rob

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 100ev8 View Post
    take the rope of the bumper it obscures the plate and is failable if they want to pick faults

rob
    Cheers dude.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information