Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 53catalina View Post
    Here are the correct speed limits for most vans:

Single carriageways: 50mph
    Dual Carriageways: 60mph
    Motorways: 70mph

Am i being my usual thicky here but arn't they the normal speeds for cars ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I got caught on this one I would show them a picture of a suburban to cause enough confusion that they would drop it. Hopefully.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by great68 View Post
    Am i being my usual thicky here but arn't they the normal speeds for cars ?
    No. Normal cars are limited to 60 on single carriagway and 70 on dual carriageways whether or not its a motorway.

Of course, older stuff isn't registered as private or light commercial, they're historic. God knows what the score is there.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    glad i seen this thread,i didnt even know me transit has differant limits to cars...guess its time to lift the throttle slightly....

The Oddlot Drag Racing Team...havin fun is usual
    57 chevy wagon.
    540cui altered.
    your not drunk enough if you can lie on the floor without holding on..

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 40Stude View Post
    That's why I was done. Any idea when the law changed?

1984 Alan

All questions answered here

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety...vanspeedlimits

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm getting a bit of a bee in my bonnet over this.
    Imagine if you did not have internet access. Where would you have heard this information? I have never seen an information ad in a paper. I have never seen a telly ad stating this fact. Ok it's in the highway code. But who, in honesty has been out and bought a new issue since they learned to drive? I havn't and I'm sure most havn't too.
    So, even with the internet, where is there a definitive statement re older trucks taxed as historic and used for pleasure only, ie not hauling goods for a commercial purpose.
    I suppose I will have to assume that my pickup is subject to the lower limits, and drive accordingly. but I am only assuming and I would like a definitive answer. This is my third pickup. I was not even slightly aware of this until the fella at work got nicked recently.
    I think this is purposely kept quiet, not advertised broadly so that the coppers can keep quietly nicking people who as far as they are concerned driving within the speed limit.
    Of course the ignorance is no defence argument kicks in, but being ignorant of something that is scarcely publicised is a bit different in my view.
    Mart.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mart, so many of the rules are not easily available until you research AFTER you've broken them. The regs re points sytem with DVLA etc are a case in point.
    I bet if you tried to fight it you'd be told you should buy the Highway code on a regular basis for updates.

I must admit that until about 2 years back I also thought vans ( Transit size etc) ,was the same as cars as I thought the 50mph van restriction on ANY road law was repealled to keep traffic flowing. Like yourself I was concerned about the laws relating to my '41 Chevy .It weighed in at 1300kg with a 600kg payload so was below the weight limit but I didn't know, until now, about the car derived ruling.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    I'm getting a bit of a bee in my bonnet over this.
    Imagine if you did not have internet access. Where would you have heard this information? I have never seen an information ad in a paper. I have never seen a telly ad stating this fact. Ok it's in the highway code. But who, in honesty has been out and bought a new issue since they learned to drive? I havn't and I'm sure most havn't too.
    So, even with the internet, where is there a definitive statement re older trucks taxed as historic and used for pleasure only, ie not hauling goods for a commercial purpose.
    I suppose I will have to assume that my pickup is subject to the lower limits, and drive accordingly. but I am only assuming and I would like a definitive answer. This is my third pickup. I was not even slightly aware of this until the fella at work got nicked recently.
    I think this is purposely kept quiet, not advertised broadly so that the coppers can keep quietly nicking people who as far as they are concerned driving within the speed limit.
    Of course the ignorance is no defence argument kicks in, but being ignorant of something that is scarcely publicised is a bit different in my view.
    Mart.
    I'd go along with that, I've only ever owned a van as a daily for over 30 years, driven all over the country, and never heard of specific lower speed limits until this thread. I guess I've just been lucky not to have a stack of tickets - unless the cops are only just using this to up their offence rate by enforcing something they've never bothered with before. When you think how many vans are on the road, it's staggering that there's been no publicity about this. And not a single statistic to show whether vans need any special speed restrictions, just some know-it-all poncy **** with letters behind his name in an office somewhere deciding to create more ******** for the rest of us. But then, that's what you expect these days, just more pointless crap from the authorities year by year. Come the revolution it's 'Up against the wall Mother****ers!'

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    We should compare 'little black books' Comrade Odgie !

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    when i wanted to know about speed limits i went into wisbech police station and asked and was told i needed to speak to somebody from traffic and as none were available i was given the list of vehicles and relevant speed limits from the wall in the station so if i get done for speeding i can show them that if if i dont think they are right

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information