+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mazda truck?

Grown up? Never!
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Mazda truck?

Hello!
    Just going through a few ideas at the minute and was wondering if anyone had used a mazda b2000 style frame under their ride? I've been offered a complete running one for not too much of the folding stuff (if I don't have it then it's getting turned into some sort of golfball picker upper?). I've got a fair pile of body panels kicking around, I'm thinking kustom/roadster meets shop hack and I could use a truck for carting around all the stuff that Liz has me doing on the house
    I was thinking that the mini truck boys used them, so bits must be about to slam it and make it stop/go a bit better.
    Any thoughts welcome, it'll be on the back burner for a while to come, but don't want to see it get too cut up if it's a good base for a rod!

Chaley
    And on the 6th day Man created god.
    Tetanus

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict farncombe pop's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello mate, have you seen the pro laminates demo? Mazda chassis using their Devon pickup body,
    Here to help !

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think wisbech have used one under their Dodge pick-up (IIRC).

Cheers,

Stu.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mazda is torsion front suspension, leaf rear, dead easy to 4 link the back but the front needs some more imagination. I slammed mine on blocks from Brittania Hydraulics (remember them?) at the front and fitted juice, the front shock towers need reinforcing if you remove the torsion bars or they will not be strong enough. front tyre wear was an issue due to negative camber (5-6k on a set before the inner edges were dead).

Out back, I de-arched and de-leafed the rear springs as well as shortening the rear hangers and fitting 4" blocks, this brought the back down to the tyre on a 195 50 x 15 tyre. axles are 6 stud so wheel choice is limited, the centre bore is quite sizeable meaning that many used 4x4 wheels, but I guess you could cahnge things around.

The petrol engine was discontinued in 1993 (K plate) leaving just the athsmatic 2.2 non turbo diesel.

I owned my mazda from 1993-1996 and covered 55K in it, other than tyres and rotor arms it ran like a dream. Being a longitudinal engine I even changed the cambelt myself!

Let me know if you want to know anything else specific

Grown up? Never!
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers,
    Paul, I'll check it out thanks, not far off one of the ideas for some of the panels I have
    Stuey, I've seen the fenland Dodge truck, but thought Mark said they could use a nissan frame? Not that much difference I wouldn't have thought?
    Neil, Top tips there, good to hear from someone that has had one and lived to tell the tale. I was thinking of just turning the bar on the front and as you've said on the rear and channel the body for the rest of the drop. I'd run some moon discs over the stock wheels with tallish tyres. It's all just smoke at the moment, but looks like it's worth telling him to hold off with the gas axe for now
    Chaley
    And on the 6th day Man created god.
    Tetanus

Official RnS Addict Special When Lit's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wasn't there a red Willys coupe that used one a few years back? Think it had the Mazda diesel in it too.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Special When Lit View Post
    Wasn't there a red Willys coupe that used one a few years back? Think it had the Mazda diesel in it too.
    oh dear, really? would have thought an old pinto woulda been quicker.

Winding the torsions down is OK, but the fork at the back ends soon hangs down quite a bit, I removed one of mine on a raised manhole! might be an option to remove and reinsert one or 2 splines lower

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sold my trusty/rusty B2200 a couple of years ago now , the chassis is living under what will eventually be a kustom 41 Ford coupe (I think !) . Wheelbase wise they're within a couple of inches of most 40/50's trucks (Including the Dodge replica that Fenland make) , just shuffle the rear fenders around , my plan was always to re-body it . Got a P100 now which may get the same treatment if I hang onto it long enough !

Go for it I say , the chassis' are tough and they handle well , the diesel motor is slow but dependable and economical (Thetford to Antwerp and back at 70mph on £60 !) , dunno what the petrol ones are like . If you're knocking a body up from panels then why worry about lowering it ? Just build it channeled and keep the good ride quality ...
    I joined a nudest colony the other week . The first few days were the hardest ...

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie Jovial Prankster's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    You might want to check out the running gear on this.....

...and maybe give the bodywork a little tap too.....
    "It's still not weird enough for me....."

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    think i seen that done on a aussie car forum once while searching for something. they had built rods on nissan and other jap chassis. you might find info on chassis mods there.
    pascal
    teach your children to think, not what to think.
    I am different, just like you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information