Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  18
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know this problem only too well but from a slightly different angle, for the past 4 years I have been self employed, doing cnc machining work, I spent a lot out to set up and find I cant do any work for individuals as they complain at the cost, because of overheads, for me to earn minimum wage I need to charge minimum £35 an hour, large companies happily pay £45 an hour so its not bad money (still not earning a fortune), seems car and motorcycle people will happily pay £80 an hour for a tattoo but cant see how machining work costs £40, I try to avoid car work for this reason. it seems most people don't see skilled jobs as worth anything anymore.

2. LikesTorment, chevrolet50 liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trevd View Post
    I know this problem only too well but from a slightly different angle, for the past 4 years I have been self employed, doing cnc machining work, I spent a lot out to set up and find I cant do any work for individuals as they complain at the cost, because of overheads, for me to earn minimum wage I need to charge minimum £35 an hour, large companies happily pay £45 an hour so its not bad money (still not earning a fortune), seems car and motorcycle people will happily pay £80 an hour for a tattoo but cant see how machining work costs £40, I try to avoid car work for this reason. it seems most people don't see skilled jobs as worth anything anymore.
    Are you working from home Trev,or moved out to premises
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    small unit but may be giving it up as not covering the overheads with the work im getting in, was better off cramped at home.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is a fecking scandal for sure.
    Talent and experience should be rewarded!!

I got the impression years ago that companies enhanced their profits by cheap wages. Small companies with a 'hungry' owner can be expected but dealers charging lottery figures should pass the loot down.
    I had a very good purple patch before the bank crash where I more than doubled my income ( graphic arts) going freelance. **** pooor now as bull****ters and post grads will work for nowt.

Currently work on living wage working in NHS performing amazing work with nurses and doctors, vital sign OBS, ecg's, bloods, all sorts of assistance even preparing the deceased. Meanwhile the cleaner leant on his mop is on the same rate as us.

Nowts well paid nowadys unless you can do proper programming, sell ****e or become an MP.

Sadly my local garage seems to have had a wind change and a coupla years back would have given me a new build to pass an MOT, now a small fail cost £700, mainly labour, and it's a cheap dump with obviously **** poor paid staff.
    Last edited by Kustom Jim; 26-01-2020 at 18:17.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most independents / one stall garage down here charge around £50 +vat .

Things cost money but peopel hate spending it IF they have it in the first place

If you are trying to run a car when earning £10 an hour then paying out £50 is gutting .It's the main reason I learned to do most things myself.

Now I physically can't and have to pay others instead . Only consolation is how much I've saved in the past

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Motor trade wages

It’s true that if you own your own garage you can earn bundles I know this as I had my own MOT garage with three partners. From 88 to 92 we where taking money home in a wheelbarrow, we only had two YTS lads working for us which we paid well over the odds, then caught two partners on the fiddle and wound the firm up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    All we do is Landrovers and as an independent there is no shortage of work for us, £60 an hour, its apparent to me that Landrover owners will quite happily spend lots of money on their vehicles whether they are as old as 1948 or 2020, i dont get it too be honest i think their puddled. mean while round the corner on our estate theres a chap with three staff and all he does is refurb wheels for £250 upwards and he is stacked out with work all the time. strange, the wheels on our cars are simply not on the radar.
    If quitters never win, and winners never cheat, then who is the fool who said "Quit while you're ahead"

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickjane2 View Post
    It’s true that if you own your own garage you can earn bundles I know this as I had my own MOT garage with three partners. From 88 to 92 we where taking money home in a wheelbarrow, we only had two YTS lads working for us which we paid well over the odds, then caught two partners on the fiddle and wound the firm up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I must have been doing something wrong then, had my garage from 1992 to 2000 yes it paid a wage but still only had two penny's to scratch my arse with after i wrapped it up.
    If quitters never win, and winners never cheat, then who is the fool who said "Quit while you're ahead"

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rodster View Post
    I must have been doing something wrong then, had my garage from 1992 to 2000 yes it paid a wage but still only had two penny's to scratch my arse with after i wrapped it up.
    With no disrespect meant,did you not make money,due to not bringing in enough,or due to not running a business as good as you could off.

Only ask as I speak to a fair few folks with businesses ,who on paper should be minted,yet claim to earn **** all and scratch by week to week.i never get that
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

Official RnS Addict chevrolet50's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rodster View Post
    All we do is Landrovers and as an independent there is no shortage of work for us, £60 an hour, its apparent to me that Landrover owners will quite happily spend lots of money on their vehicles whether they are as old as 1948 or 2020, i dont get it too be honest i think their puddled. mean while round the corner on our estate theres a chap with three staff and all he does is refurb wheels for £250 upwards and he is stacked out with work all the time. strange, the wheels on our cars are simply not on the radar.
    Exactly what I said,people pay for something they can see,I don’t get all this wheel refurb **** but they are making money out of a bit of filler rubbing down and lick of paint and lacquer,witnessed it here,it’s all about their image apparently but obviously cannot drive as keep hitting kerbs and scuffing their wheels!!
    Last edited by chevrolet50; 26-01-2020 at 20:14. Reason: Spelling

13. Likeskapri liked this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information