Post Thanks / Like
    Logic? Don't get me started ! LOL

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know a guy who charges £350 a day and it takes as long as it does to work on campers and they are cuing up at his garage, why can’t I find punters like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    like I said I havnt put my prices up .............................the only thing I have put up is a few signs in workshop of my terms and conditions

Last edited by hot rod trimmer; 27-01-2020 at 12:54.
    www.customcoachtrimming.co.uk www.trimshop.co.uk hot rod and custom interiors ......ring 01386 834454 for a quote on any simple repair to full build custom interior or email me [email][email protected]
    57 chevy interior https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z_qwE-LG_8

5. LikesMickjane2, billynoneck liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a good profession to enter for many reasons.
    Customers have a very simple expectation for car repairs; it has to be free or almost free, is completed while they wait and has a lifetime warranty, including a warranty on the used/junk parts they supplied.
    Employers are mostly living in the past and believe that if you can fix the misfire on a 350 small block in a Chevy you can fix a misfire on a Mercedes because both vehicles are identical; they have a wheel on each corner.
    Employers will promise the customer anything to get the job "Of course we can take the engine out, completely overhaul it and have it back in the car and running perfectly before we close this evening". And then expect you to keep the promise he made.
    Employers believe that your expensive tools are not yours exclusively, they are to be shared with anyone in the shop. "You need a scanner? Neil has the latest Snap-On thingy ($4,000 when I bought it years ago), you can use that"
    Employers will take in any sort of vehicle, including lawnmowers, as long as they can make money. And If you need say, a wiring diagram, it's up to you to get one.
    Employers are constantly crying about he shortage of good techs and can't believe that even offering $8 an hour and a 60 hour work week they don't have a queue of qualified applicants begging for the job.
    I know there are some damn good employers out there, but they are few and far between. But the very worse employers are the owners of a franchise who know nothing about auto repairs and are only interested in their profits and the techs are 10 a penny and a disposable asset.
    I worked in Vegas as an emissions tech, which was a licensed profession. With a G1 license you could test cars, with a G2 license you could repair the failures. I had the G2 and every payday the owner of the shop was almost crying as he handed me my pay because I was making 5 times as much as anyone else simply because of that license, and would get offers from other shops almost weekly.
    To make money in life choose a licensed profession and get that license.

8. Likeskapri, Mickjane2, billynoneck liked this post
    I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    MOT testers don’t earn any more money than the average mechanic only the likes of Audi diagnostic techs earn more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. LikesDuncan liked this post
    Welding Guru
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NMNeil View Post
    Not a good profession to enter for many reasons.
    Customers have a very simple expectation for car repairs; it has to be free or almost free, is completed while they wait and has a lifetime warranty, including a warranty on the used/junk parts they supplied.
    Employers are mostly living in the past and believe that if you can fix the misfire on a 350 small block in a Chevy you can fix a misfire on a Mercedes because both vehicles are identical; they have a wheel on each corner.
    Employers will promise the customer anything to get the job "Of course we can take the engine out, completely overhaul it and have it back in the car and running perfectly before we close this evening". And then expect you to keep the promise he made.
    Employers believe that your expensive tools are not yours exclusively, they are to be shared with anyone in the shop. "You need a scanner? Neil has the latest Snap-On thingy ($4,000 when I bought it years ago), you can use that"
    Employers will take in any sort of vehicle, including lawnmowers, as long as they can make money. And If you need say, a wiring diagram, it's up to you to get one.
    Employers are constantly crying about he shortage of good techs and can't believe that even offering $8 an hour and a 60 hour work week they don't have a queue of qualified applicants begging for the job.
    I know there are some damn good employers out there, but they are few and far between. But the very worse employers are the owners of a franchise who know nothing about auto repairs and are only interested in their profits and the techs are 10 a penny and a disposable asset.
    I worked in Vegas as an emissions tech, which was a licensed profession. With a G1 license you could test cars, with a G2 license you could repair the failures. I had the G2 and every payday the owner of the shop was almost crying as he handed me my pay because I was making 5 times as much as anyone else simply because of that license, and would get offers from other shops almost weekly.
    To make money in life choose a licensed profession and get that license.
    I have such licences and qualifications that require a mimimum of 5 years practical experience and documented proof just to be accepted on the level 1 course. I have level 3 qualifications and so charge accordingly. Some managers complain but i reply, find someone else then. Best thing i ever did getting those qualifications.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weldtech View Post
    I have such licences and qualifications that require a mimimum of 5 years practical experience and documented proof just to be accepted on the level 1 course. I have level 3 qualifications and so charge accordingly. Some managers complain but i reply, find someone else then. Best thing i ever did getting those qualifications.
    I often wondered why there is no motor mechanics trade union in the UK. Or is there one now?
    I've been gone a long time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information