+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Naaarrrgg

Official RnS Addict ChopperHarris's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Naaarrrgg

How much stress can you fit into 30 minutes...I tell you
    5;30 leave work, flat tyre on car,beg bosses to reopen workshop to pump up. Done.
    Knowing you might run out of petrol (old car, gauge broken) continue to pick up friend who is so angry with the world since losing his licence (third time in 18 months)
    Run out of petrol, (aha not stupid, can in back, oops took funnel out night before to fill heater)
    Find water bottle to make funnel, search car/ pockets to cut said bottle, nada!
    Stroll (angrily) 2 kms to find a person calmly peeling an apple and beg him to cut bottom off bottle to make funnel, he kindly does wondering why an agitated Irishman is climbing the tree he was cutting....
    Stomp angrily back to car, lights left on because its on the verge of a route national (at this point remember its a 56 old car with associated quirks (including flattening the battery while pumping fuel back to the carb) which it did, Last gasp of battery, viola...picked friend up, slightly grumpy...made it to billiards, thrashed the opposition...ra ra UK... (not within the 30 minutes...car abandoned after interim pumping another km from home, flat tyre destroyed, tomorrows another day)

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Made me smile this, gave me some warmth to know it's not just me this sh1t happens to! The old 'fuel roulette 'has it's lows hahaha.
    Just think though in 30 years time people won't have the freedom to 'run out' of fuel as their bland mobile won't allow them to drive with inadequate range/charge and we'll look back and realise that we had it better!

Official RnS Addict Neil Davies's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ran out of fuel in the Beetle the other week on the way back from work. Cable from the fuel sender to the gauge has snapped so I've been guessing it, and got it a bit wrong - 48 Webers gulp a little more than I thought... At least I got warning from the electric pump going noisy that I'd only got the float bowls left and nursed it onto the wife's uncles drive!
    Snapped the fan belt on the way in the following week. Got spares for pretty much everything (plugs, points, dizzy, coil, rocker cover gaskets, clutch cable, but no fan belt!
    2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. [email protected] on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
    2276cc, 48IDAs, race car. [email protected] on race fuel and slicks. April 2005!

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    A story to dine out on!

I remember with an old Beetle I had in my impecunious youth relying on the reserve tap like I had with old motorbikes.

Last time I ran out of fuel it was a winter evening on an unlit bit of the A4 with no parking, but luckily a bit of pavement. Left fairly inadequate side lights on and fully expected to come back to find car crushed by artic. Positives were that I carry (empty) fuel can and a bloke kindly picked me up and took me to the fuel station. Lesson learned: fuel gauge only gives vague approximation and now I ignore it and working on a conservative 20mpg know that when the re-settable odometer has clicked 200 miles it's time to fill up fast.

Grown up? Never!
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    These take me back.
    I had a 123e with a 1760 crossflow and twin 45s, and a 5.1:1 lsd, that I’d just fitted.
    It had a non-working fuel gauge.
    I took a mate out for a quick ride down the bypass and ran out of fuel not a worry I had 5 litres in a can in the back. I filled it up and off we went
    Now to the point…
    Did you know that 5 litres petrol only lasts about 5 minutes and about 5 miles if you drive like a ****? Shame the petrol station was 7 miles away.
    It took years to live that down.

Chaley
    And on the 6th day Man created god.
    Tetanus

Official RnS Addict ChopperHarris's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Theres more,,,, this week the starter packs up finally at work on the 62 Simca at lunchtime, trace the fault to the slowly dying solenoid, get the sole remaining guy at work to bump start it with me....get home, yep no start the starters NBG....aha go back to work on the bobber whose low fuelling light ive just fixed (involving emptying the petrol to near nothing...... no problem, siphon fuel out of newly replenished Simca, that has a anti siphon device...**** **** ****, ride loony tuned bike to work on dregs, back in time,
    After work to station 500 metres from work, all out of order! Nurse bike another km to next station (remember this is rural France)...card refused...**** or bust now, 25kms to billiards and a provincial one pump garage on the way, ITS OPEN, pay double happily and win at billiards...the 3 euros of which was swallowed by the sofa not to be seen til i move house!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    a mate went halves a 70ish new yorker with a 440 in. it'd stood a while so not in the best of tune. he put one of those larger 2 gallon gerry cans of petrol in it and set of to the petrol station about a mile and a half away. he drove 'enthusiastically' and ran out just within sight of the forecourt. roughly 2 gallons to the mile!!!
    he sold the 440 to buy his mate out of his half of the car and bought an old amc ambassador with a 360 in with the change. with that installed he was getting almost 20mpg and it was his daily.
    neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The real fuel consumption of some of this old stuff is scary. Probably because of a leaden foot I never get anywhere near what others achieve.

Milner for PM! Nigel Incubator-Jones's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I bought my 100E, the seller told me that he'd put petrol in it for me, and I was pleased to see that the gauge read full. It was good for about 35 miles until the car cut out at a busy junction on the A24, in the right-turn lane. Pushed the car across to the pavement and, sure enough, no fuel going through the filter.

As luck would have it, a familiar face from the Chelsea Cruise pulled over to help and gave me enough petrol to get to the nearest station. Filled her up there to find that the fuel gauge reads the wrong way round!

I try not to take any chances with fuel gauges now, but going to Heathfield last week was a bit alarming. I intended to stop for petrol at the Texaco in Biggin Hill, but it was closed for a delivery. Never mind, try the next one - I didn't go past a single petrol station before the A21, on the A21, or after the A21 for the full 33 miles after Biggin Hill. Then I had the same journey to complete in reverse...
    Wanted! Back issues of Street Machine, American Car World/American Car and Classic American. Please PM.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's some sort of irony that there's more vehicles these days, but less fuel stations. I grew up in Bath (population now 90,000) and there were at least a dozen, probably more (I worked in a couple of them). Now when I go there I can only think of four. Interestingly, there aren't queues around the block for each, so is that down to better fuel economy, or that usage years ago was spread more thinly?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information