Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  37
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: News black out

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those who of us who are 'lucky enough' (if indeed 'lucky is the right word) to be furloughed are perhaps being psychologically and mentally being restrained from taking any protest action. With HMG paying all or best part of salaries for many people (OK not all people I know) why would those furloughed want to do anything about what is effectively a paid holiday. We are seeing/hearing some soundbites about significant increases company corporation taxes, pension funds, buy to let property owners looking as though they will pay more to fund things - and of course the usual tax increase in fuel to fund public transport (well, that was going to happen irrespectively wasn't it? - no one using cars? - so few air miles? - gotta get the tax money from somewhere haven't they?.
    Its when the current furlough finishes (end of October?) that we can probably expect to see huge public unrest - Its when employers not wanting to pay staff will make further redundancies. Perhaps we can expect to see something else from HMG - something that will perhaps keep the populace in check...........
    Carburation suck'shttps://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/customavatars/avatar199184_4.gif

2. LikesTorment liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was an ex Bank of England guy on the radio this morning who said the unemployment won't be quite as bad as they first expected, but that some jobs in the hospitality end of the service economy will have gone for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately, some of these have been masked by the furlough scheme. He was quite optimistic because he reckoned that people just wanted to spend their money, so whilst not spending it on meals and cups of coffee, they were buying more goods. My problem with that is where do these goods come from? Generating manufacturing jobs in the UK? Unlikely. It'll probably benefit China where all this kicked off in the first place.

5. Likesv8.jimmy, seantoole5 liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The real issue with the 'hospitality' industry is that the 'lower end' has created a ticking health time bomb. With so, so many fast food takeaway outlets marketing unhealthy food we are seeing the creation of a major obesity crisis. Who would think that further generations would actually live for a shorter lifespan than current generations (all down to poor diets and obesity). Anyone notice how seemingly unaffected the takeaway businesses were during lockdown? - how many home deliveries were being made - our local Nando's seemed to have a minimum of 4 Deliveroo or similar mopeds continually taking meals out - and that excludes the people coming and collecting. So many peoples lifestyle today is - takeaway food - can't be bothered to cook? - order a takeaway - not just once in a while but several times a week (possibly every day) - how can people afford to do that? Much of the take away food has nasty ingredients..............not good for you in large and continued quantities.........longer term health issues to follow........
    Point I'm getting to is that whilst we all might be concerned about the issues the hospitality industry is facing and the numbers of people who face unemployment one needs to consider that it is a relatively 'new' industry and didn't really exist a number of years ago. OK you'd have the Wimpy bars, the odd Chinese or Indian and Italian restaurants, and few upmarket pubs and hotels doing meals and of course the ever present Fish & Chip shop. And we all thought fish & chips were unhealthy - reality was/is that in moderation they were/are are very good for you (not so sure about savaloys and pies). Is the 'new' reality a decimated hospitality industry? It it for our own good?
    Carburation suck'shttps://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/customavatars/avatar199184_4.gif

7. Likesseantoole5 liked this post
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    This leads nicely on to the issue of poor people not being able to afford to eat properly, which in my book is a huge joke. ASDA produce a magazine showing affordable nutritious recipes, sometimes as cheap as £1 a head. Yet, as you say, there's a huge popularity for takeaways which can be as high as £10 a head. I find even ready meals relatively pricey for what you get in them. They're now talking of subsidising diabetics diets via the NHS, as on the news this morning they reckoned that 90% of those dying from COVID 19 were overweight. Even I find that hard to believe as many of them were elderly, and if my Mum was anything to go by, just skin and bone.

9. Likesalan liked this post
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4potHemi View Post
    This leads nicely on to the issue of poor people not being able to afford to eat properly, which in my book is a huge joke. ASDA produce a magazine showing affordable nutritious recipes, sometimes as cheap as £1 a head. Yet, as you say, there's a huge popularity for takeaways which can be as high as £10 a head. I find even ready meals relatively pricey for what you get in them. They're now talking of subsidising diabetics diets via the NHS, as on the news this morning they reckoned that 90% of those dying from COVID 19 were overweight. Even I find that hard to believe as many of them were elderly, and if my Mum was anything to go by, just skin and bone.
    Poor people could eat properly if they didnt spend all the money they dont have on i phones,nike trainers and 50, inch telly,s. **** the poor
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie Austin Martin's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    To keep my contribution on topic, I don't see a "news blackout" (obviously if there were a blackout I wouldn't see it would I) there is an endless list of things that don't make mainstream news, killings and accidental deaths every day, so I'm not that surprised that a peaceful protest march didn't receive mainstream media coverage, especially when you have the Man U captain and his "traumatic experience" (not his words obviously as in time honoured fashion he is almost incapable of stringing a sentence together) and the almost continuous battle between Trump and the media the latter see a opportunity (however slim) to get him replaced by a more media friendly person , essentially by blaming the Trump administration for everything; what ever you think of Trump (and the jury's still out for me) it's obvious that the media is being disingenuous, and as such I view all of them with suspicion.
    Just a passer by as you might say.

12. Likesseantoole5, alan liked this post
    Milner for PM! Nigel Incubator-Jones's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we want to discuss a media blackout, there is plenty to talk about. Take the fact Piers Corbyn was arrested and fined £10,000 for his role in Saturday's protest because he 'held a gathering of more than 30 people in an outdoor place'. The Evening Standard ran the story: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-a4536441.html

What the Evening Standard, or any other mainstream media source, isn't telling you is that the law under which Corbyn was arrested was passed at midnight, just 12 hours before the protest was due to start. A cynic might say it had been carefully planned to catch Corbyn and make an example of him in order to discourage future protests. 'Regulation 5B was introduced under an emergency procedure and was neither debated nor given the most cursory scrutiny by any Parliamentary process.'
    Source: https://barristerblogger.com/2020/09...-worry-us-all/

The Evening Standard link is handy because it also draws attention to the Black Lives Matter festivities the following day. The organisers of the BLM march are 'guilty' of precisely the same 'crime' Corbyn has been fined for. Did they get a fine? Of course not.

The other particularly concerning topic that has been blacked out by the media in this country is the unsettling development of events in Victoria, Australia. In Victoria, it is presently illegal to have a public presence without wearing a face mask, to leave your house between 8pm and 5am, to leave your house more than twice a day (once for food shopping, once for exercise), to exercise for more than an hour or further than 5km from your home, and lots more besides.

You might think 'So what? They can't really enforce all that.' That doesn't mean they're not going to try their hardest, as in the case of the man who was fined $1650 for trying to buy cigarettes after 8pm, or the two men who had their computers and phones confiscated for trying to organise an anti-lockdown protest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svog...ture=emb_title

https://twitter.com/newscomauHQ/stat...67767522533379

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcHU...ture=emb_title

There is yet another BLM comparison to be made with that first video. If you're an enormous, violent black criminal who is accidentally suffocated while resisting arrest after attempting to pass counterfeit money, you'll become the darling of the media and right-on academics, and see rioting and violent protests held in your, ahem, honour. If you're a diminutive white woman who is very forcefully suffocated for attempting to breathe uninhibited in public, no one cares about you.
    Wanted! Back issues of Street Machine, American Car World/American Car and Classic American. Please PM.

14. Likes46beddy, alan liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Absolute 'control' of the population absolutely corrupts the current government in charge. It doesn't matter the political 'flavour' of the government in charge at the time of the issues, whether they are Tory, Labour, SDP or whatever. I'm thinking back a number of years to when Blair was heading-up New Labour (joke name that eh! - effectively old conservative ideal in drag) and we had the start of the protests relating to fuel costs. We saw groups of protesters blockading the oil distribution depots so that petrol tankers couldn't deliver. Much like they'll do in France and possibly other parts of Europe. Next thing we see is a new law making prohibiting any form of blockading fuel depots and effectively linking the new new law with acts of terrorism.............
    I was watching BBC 4 last night, the 'home' movies clips of German citizens during the second world war. Fascinating footage with some of it no doubt 'illegally' taken by soldiers with cine cameras on the Eastern Front. It made me realise how effective state sponsored and controlled propaganda can be.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie Austin Martin's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you heard the utter ****e that issued forth from that particular **** Corbyn? no news blackout there, as I saw several interviews where he claimed that covid 19 didn't exist, and that it was big business that had created this situation; during the war (sorry uncle Albert) a crime of sedition existed, to stop people from expressing extreme views and causing mass panic and unrest; delusion must run in the family!
    Just a passer by as you might say.

17. Likesseantoole5 liked this post
    Milner for PM! Nigel Incubator-Jones's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Martin View Post
    Have you heard the utter ****e that issued forth from that particular **** Corbyn? no news blackout there, as I saw several interviews where he claimed that covid 19 didn't exist, and that it was big business that had created this situation; during the war (sorry uncle Albert) a crime of sedition existed, to stop people from expressing extreme views and causing mass panic and unrest; delusion must run in the family!
    I don't by any means agree with all Corbyn has to say, but it's rather unkind to call him a ****, considering his cause is fundamentally a peaceful, humanitarian one. The ****s are the ones who have created a totalitarian state for us all to live in, caused millions of people to die needlessly from non-Covid causes and denied us our most basic rights and freedoms, plus the unthinking police forces, sanctimonious journalists and spiteful civilians who have taken a sadistic glee in enforcing the new tyranny. Take your pic from Johnson, Hancock, Whitty, Sturgeon, Starmer, Emmanuel Macron, Pedro Sanchez, Angela Merkel, Jacinda Ardern, Daniel Andrews, Piers Morgan and hundreds more.

Corbyn may or may not be misguided in his science but he is morally in the right and he has been one of very few people to protest the prevailing totalitarianism, despite being arrested twice and fined £10,000.

Also during the war, schools remained open, pubs remained open, horse racing was allowed to continue as it was recognised as important for public morale. There is a quote (possibly mis)attributed to Winston Churchill. When asked if funding to the arts should be cut to aid the war effort, he supposedly replied, "Then what are we fighting for?" Despite the greater risk of death, there was more freedom during the war than there is now.

Sedition, right now, is not just excusable, it is necessary. There is another quote attributed this time, I think, to Thomas Jefferson: "When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." That time has arrived.
    Wanted! Back issues of Street Machine, American Car World/American Car and Classic American. Please PM.

19. Likes46beddy liked this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information