Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  9
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

The niggly job thread...

For all those little things that grind ya gears but you just can't be arsed to do, until now...

In lieu of the fact that Rods n Sods is resting at the moment just a glimmer and a chance to check image hosting skills so please join in!!

----

First up, whilst it is easy to work on older mills in a tight space my exhaust manifolds do my bloody nut in.

Used ARP bolts but never really got enough purchase and regularly blow out gaskets so in a moment of clarity decided to go studs.
    Lowering the things in and holding in place bent over wing trying to push little bolt through was a big test for any man.
    This should allow me to at least get the things in situ and perched on studs while I drop the nuts on the floor.
    Was pleasantly surprised to find them common 3/8 UNC - studs go way more in to the heads and with larger nuts hopefully get more purchase.

Got me brass nuts, got another task with steering vibration addition before it goes back together, with heat shields on starter and steering.

One that aint worth a pic is my recent installation of a drain plug on the TH350 gearbox pan.
    Avoiding, probably the worst job on a car ever if it aint got one.

Carry on
    Last edited by Kustom Jim; 29-07-2018 at 15:59.
    "I'm not going to take this defeatist attitude and listen to all this crap any more from all these people who have nothing except doomsday to predict."
    Carroll Shelby

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wiring..I hate wiring...

The Oddlot Drag Racing Team...havin fun is usual
    57 chevy wagon.
    540cui altered.
    your not drunk enough if you can lie on the floor without holding on..

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just collecting bits to replace the heater in the TR7 V8... apparently everything but the paint has to come off... I'd much rather rebuild a gearbox or a motor than work under a dash'! What's the betting something won't work when it goes back together and the only way to check it out will be to take the f*ckin' dash' back out. (Might have something to do with the fact that one of my first custom jobs was to replace and modify the dash' in my Herald. Fired into it with all the enthusiasm of a twenty year old. Rebuilt it as a six gauge dash with an up to the minute four speaker stereo. Looked smart as f*ck 'til I switched on the ignition, at which point the car filled with smoke and I fell out the driver's door coughing and choking... Will probably haunt me 'til I die.)

5. Likeskapri, Kustom Jim liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    not hot roddy but hydraulic concentric bearings on clutches. what the **** was wrong with a release arm, normal bearing and a slave cylinder on the outside where you can change it if it leaks. i despair, i really do.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

7. Likesstueeee liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blimey, I'm outta touch! never heard of them bearings so thankfully will never get involved.

---

Got a decent starter on now so cobbled up a heat guard.

Take one old motorbike air filter gubbins and heat matting

Bend to suit (will not rest on starter mind)

Cover with robust heat shield matting - Voila, hopefully another niggly job done.

"I'm not going to take this defeatist attitude and listen to all this crap any more from all these people who have nothing except doomsday to predict."
    Carroll Shelby

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Think it would be a good idea if you also posted this in ' Tech Features ' Jim

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds trivial but sometimes life gets easier in the modern world.
    Passport runs out on the day I fly to Spain in December
    Went to Timpsons on the high street, yes, the cobbler keymaker - he took a digital mugshot photo, uploaded and had it approved by .gov there and then and I was emailed a code, went home and applied - BOOM new passport ordered.

Timpsons are legend lol

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bought new rear leaf springs for the Jeep XJ daily 2 years ago, just before the MOT, It passed so didnt do the springs, last year I lubed up the bolts, plenty ATF and WD40 soaked them for weeks then a fortnight before the MOT tried to release the bolts to replace the springs .. Big bar with long extension, solid, Put the car in for its MOT, It passed.

This year soaked the bolts weeks before still no movement, but by now the arse has dropped and the spring is starting to bend the wrong way.. Hmm MOT time .. It passed but he did mention the springs were looking weak.. Really need to make the effort .. Dont think they will pass next year .. Its a simple job made difficult with it all being siezed and the nuts are all captive within the chassis .. Just a **** job...

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was just reading somewhere else about XJ rear springs Ian, and it sounds like a ******* of a job in most cases. Apparently even after lots of spraying and soaking, even if the bolt undoes, it likes to be rusted into the bushing spacer. My springs are a bit flat and on my To Do List . . .
    Screw EU

Official RnS Addict bigyellataxi's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually trying to finish my bloody car, wiring for the headlamps/indicators, actually trying to make the headlamps fit, finishing off the exhaust system...

Trying to find the enthusiasm to go out in the cold to do it...

Fueled by Jim and Luckies.
    Still doing all the shit I used to ;-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information