Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  9
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not really a 'job', but I finally got round to finding someone to do the welding on the Cortina. Been humming and arrring about it for ages, every MOT it gets an advisory on the bottoms of the rear quarters and rear inner valence. I'ts not something I want to do outside, on my back (been there, done that, burnt holes in the T-shirt) but as the car seems to have become my 'project' by default I finally got my arse into gear. Found a place that understands what I want, owner has a rodded MK2 Consul and is building a late 40's US pick up with Jag running gear. They're going to do the quarters, valence, rear arch and front panel and valence, so I should end up with a solid base to work with.
    50 shades of grey primer....

2. Likeskapri liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! Far better off getting it done at ya leisure rather than an MOT failure!!

My niggly thing this week is to resolve this fecking steering issue I have dreamt up meself. I am convinced putting in a rag joint will put my mind at ease and steering not so chatty.

Got two standard Capri arms which are original after all for my setup. Gonna chop em, sleeve, pin and weld - belts n braces as am a worrier...
    Lower is current setup - wish me luck

"I'm not going to take this defeatist attitude and listen to all this crap any more from all these people who have nothing except doomsday to predict."
    Carroll Shelby

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    CDS tube sleeve, weld, pin and paint - one serviceable rag joint steering coupler and a nod to complying

Quick mock up - will fit lock my nut lock plates and knock up an ali heat shield.

Last edited by Kustom Jim; 21-11-2018 at 20:37.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    May be the angle of the photo etc or just the fact it is mock up BUT the rag joints doesn't want any deflection in it . May be an idea to knock up a mdf equivalent especially same thickness , and replace rag joint while setting alignment to ensure column is in far enough ?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kev, yeah it is just the pic, the faces are perpendicular etc if both parts are held in place - took kin hours of double checking and the joints are silky smooth. It's Pas so I imagine little effort this side of rack I'll bolt it all up and try without pump running

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well Kev, there must be a bit of deflection and combined with 30 year old, slightly oval holed rubber thing on full lock pressure it buckles. Gutted as it took a few days but a valuable lesson I couldn't see on the drawing board, now unsure if it's worth investing in a stiff neoprene thing to see how that goes. Hey ho

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Never been happy with the headlining I threw up to get the car finished and having watched Hot Rod Trimmers thread thought I'd have another run at it over the winter.
    The roof's a one off so needed bespoke trim bits to cover joints.
    Used stout wallpaper for templates, chopped up 4mm hardboard, dampened them and lay them on blocks and weights lol. Very cool how it can assume a curve
    Sexy black lining glued on. Pushed it all in to place and screwed it on to see how it looks and keep shape whilst I'm on holiday Still loads to do but we'll chuffed so far, couldn't be bothered to remove seats and bloody exhausted climbing over em a hundred times. There is only one way to get in the back 'seat' area.

10. LikesTorment liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The rag coupling is normally the very bottom joint connected to the rack which keeps it more aligned . I think further up it acts like a weakend shaft a steh forces meet at that point Borgeson / Flamin River do a steering rubber joint that is like a metalastic type bush and can be fitted inline .

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did see those couplings but don't think there's a Capri compatible version.
    I hear what ya saying as the stocker attached to the rack must inherently be perpendicular with the uj the other end doing its business. I now realise lol

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Think they are 3/4 double D coupling , should leave enough room to bore to cleaned up Capri couplings dimensions , pin and weld .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information