Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  26
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plug in electric vehicles are purely a stop gap whilst the manufacturers carry on developing hydrogen fuelled electric cars. There are already quite a few running in this country and the beauty of them is it takes as long to refuel as it does with our kind of cars.
    I guess the current tech of plug in electric cars is purely to develop the necessary controls and motors for the future.
    As a fleet manager I have to keep up with all this nonsense!

That’s enough being reasonable, I’m off to gargle some four star until normal service is resumed!

2. Likes kapri liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    I simply can't understand why people think electricity if still the answer?

All you have to do is stand outside a single petrol station and see how many cars go through in an hour and how quickly they refuel . The look at that number needing somewhere to park whilst gettinga 4-6 hour charge ?

That's without considering integrating power supply system sinto every town on agrid that is often close to peak as we stand now...and how the electricity if going to be generated and the cost to the planets atmosphere on supplying batteries.
    I'm by no means a supporter of leccy vehicles and I'm at my happiest in something V8 powered.......but with Musk no saying that he will be bringing down the costs of electric vehicles to the $25000 region and charging technology is improving almost on a weekly basis with the potential of full re-charges happening within 10 minutes it could eventually work, kinda - for some people - not all. My company daily driver is a plug-in hybrid - its a great drive (for a modern car) smooth, quiet and hot hatchback type quick - not particularly economical on gas and I've only ever charged it at home a dozen times and it does genuinely work out about 50% of the cost per mile to use on battery and charge at home. I've never charged on a street meter - with the 'racked-up' rates the operators charge.
    With fewer and fewer people able to afford to live in houses where do charge points go in blocks of flats - one can visualise fights between neighbours over use of charge points can't you?
    The whole thing about electric vehicles is the ease of monitoring and controlling what we are all doing on a daily basis and the ability for governments to simply make lots of money with pay by mile usage and smart metering.
    Carburation suck'shttps://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/customavatars/avatar199184_4.gif

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was a bit on the radio the other morning about hybrids being more polluting than straight fossil fuel jobs as the engine is working harder to pull the heavy batteries around...
    50 shades of grey primer....

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mattblack View Post
    There was a bit on the radio the other morning about hybrids being more polluting than straight fossil fuel jobs as the engine is working harder to pull the heavy batteries around...
    Hybrids as such do not have particularly heavy batteries (talking about Prius's and 'mild' hybrids) - accordingly the range of the 'mild' hybrids is limited to a couple of miles at best. Plug-in hybrids can have up to 30 mile + range and obviously will have heavier batteries - plus space issues fitting them in addition to IC engine. It the 100% electric 200 mile + range cars that have the real weight/space issues.
    Carburation suck'shttps://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/customavatars/avatar199184_4.gif

American Truck importer v8.jimmy's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    I simply can't understand why people think electricity if still the answer?

All you have to do is stand outside a single petrol station and see how many cars go through in an hour and how quickly they refuel . The look at that number needing somewhere to park whilst gettinga 4-6 hour charge ?

That's without considering integrating power supply system sinto every town on agrid that is often close to peak as we stand now...and how the electricity if going to be generated and the cost to the planets atmosphere on supplying batteries.
    When I was a Shell tanker driver 10 years ago, I did a couple of local stations which took 12 - 13 full loads per week each, that's approx half a million litres per week each. It took me about 35-40 minutes to unload and in that time, 3000 litres of petrol and diesel would be sold, so even at 50 litres per vehicle, that's 60 cars/vans in 35-40 minutes. There's no way they can charge 60 lecky cars in that time on the same sized forecourt.

8. Likes Davey3, kapri liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Electric vehicles have their place, in fact I learned to drive in one.
    On the dodgem track which is where they belong!

10. Likes Davey3, v8.jimmy liked this post
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of days ago in Bath I saw a bloke drive past in an old pink milk float. It looked as if he was using it as a delivery vehicle. I wonder how you'd charge that, replace batteries etc.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used to work in a large Vauxhall dealers back in the early 70's .The owner was a far sighted petrol head. Even back then we were selling an electric car (The Enfield ,made on the Isle of Wight) plus probably on eof the first LPG pumps in the country.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just on 250,000 live in Portsmouth . Most of the housing stock is late 1800s flat front ,narrow frontage attached . The council has so far installed 8 charging points .

Most people end up parking at least one road away from where they live.

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Talking to a guy who drives to and from Sweden three times a year from Kent, he uses a Tesla and says that you have to get into the routine of driving for three hours then take an hours break while it charges. He also confirmed that there are plenty of Tesla charging points all over Europe and free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information