Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  26
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4potHemi View Post
    As an aside, is anybody else old enough to remember when publicly owned vehicles were and/or had to be British?
    They would be ****ed now as I don't think there is such thing as a British car anymore....
    Maybe Morgan but I can't see them making a very good Police Car

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    They would be ****ed now as I don't think there is such thing as a British car anymore....
    Maybe Morgan but I can't see them making a very good Police Car
    Not any more - bought by a 'European' investment company
    Carburation suck'shttps://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/customavatars/avatar199184_4.gif

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamera63 View Post
    I wish I'd took a pictureof the Tesla that was running at the Pod the other week, it was plugged into a bloody big diesel generator, ironic or what?
    It was running about 12.4 on the quarter which is quite quick but not the warp factor speed that they reckon they have and you can bet it was messed with and not standard.
    They usually just get the ludicrous mode download and strip out the interior to cut down on weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, a mate here in the village has a Tesla. He's got a charging point in his garden, and I can confirm it's free top-ups at Tesla compatible stops (which are different to other electric vehicle pick up points). He drove to France on hol last year at nil fuel cost. Neck snapping acceleration, too.

I think in the future it won't be a rite of passage to have your own personal transport. They're saying many children aren't in a hurry to get a driving licence, probably because half of them go to uni etc and would have nowhere to put them. Because of the impracticalities (as kapri has flagged) and initial expensive it may be a shared ownership thing in the future, using one when you need it. A bit worrying Boris saying he wants to end petrol/diesel vehicle manufacture even earlier than he originally said. You can see this will have the knock on effect of fuel stations disappearing even faster, as they have been for the last few years. I remember when I first started out there were at least a couple in every suburb. If you ran out of fuel, you didn't have far to push!
    The first 'trick' of owning a Telsa is to have been able to to afford to be in the position to spend £80K to buy a new one - or - 4 or 5 years on since introduction to the UK market, but a used one (still £30K+) and live reasonably close to a Tesla Surpercharging point - usually a major motorway service stations it'll take 40 odd minute for a charge. Second 'trick' is justification to but one - if you are doing a lot of motorway burning AND you have a local Supercharger the figures can work as you'll get free charging at the Supercharging for as long as you own the car. Do your calc's over your expected vehicle lifetime mileage. I believe second owners also get this benefit currently although logic says that this will disappear at some point. Newer, smaller and 'cheaper' (contradictory term lol!) Telsa's don't have the free charging. However if you are happy to sit with a cup of coffee in a Supercharger station for 45 minutes or so a full charge will cost you about £12. That will take you at least 200 miles potentially - do the math! - however the car is still £45K+ new.............. and then if we all buy Tesla's en masse you'll start to see huge queues in the Supercharger stations and I'm sure HMG will want a 'financial' part of all this 'free' or low cost vehicle operation in the future......
    Carburation suck'shttps://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/customavatars/avatar199184_4.gif

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, a mate here in the village has a Tesla. He's got a charging point in his garden, and I can confirm it's free top-ups at Tesla compatible stops (which are different to other electric vehicle pick up points). He drove to France on hol last year at nil fuel cost. Neck snapping acceleration, too.
    I don't suppose your mate lives over Lyneham way...

One of our neighbours wrote an interesting article for our parish magazine about his trip abroad to meet up with his family. He didn't specify which electric car, but I believe it may be a Tesla. His summing up was that it proved to him that it is viable to use an electric car on such a trip, but... he did have to consult his "app" regularly and was concerned when he found himself down at below 5% charge. He also struggled with not having a valid card to charge at a certain charge point, and having an estimated charge time of ten or twelve hours at another. He was able to get by the "minor" problems by calling his wife, who sorted the charge card on her lap top or similar, and tracking down another charge point elsewhere... neither of which would have been possible if he hadn't had the necessary tech in the first place. But I'd imagine your average Tesla owner isn't short of a smartphone and the like. The other thing that came across in his write up was how much easier it was to find charge points in the U.K., than on the continent, despite a belief of mine that we are behind the likes of France and Holland in adopting this modern stuff!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydub View Post

One of our neighbours wrote an interesting article for our parish magazine about his trip abroad to meet up with his family. He didn't specify which electric car, but I believe it may be a Tesla. His summing up was that it proved to him that it is viable to use an electric car on such a trip, but... he did have to consult his "app" regularly and was concerned when he found himself down at below 5% charge. He also struggled with not having a valid card to charge at a certain charge point, and having an estimated charge time of ten or twelve hours at another. He was able to get by the "minor" problems by calling his wife, who sorted the charge card on her lap top or similar, and tracking down another charge point elsewhere... neither of which would have been possible if he hadn't had the necessary tech in the first place. But I'd imagine your average Tesla owner isn't short of a smartphone and the like. The other thing that came across in his write up was how much easier it was to find charge points in the U.K., than on the continent, despite a belief of mine that we are behind the likes of France and Holland in adopting this modern stuff!
    I'll think you find that Europe are well in front of UK relating to Telsa charge point - Norway seemingly had a huge take-up of Tesla buyers.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know a couple of people with Teslas and also a couple of people with Nissan Leafs. One mate with a Tesla showed me how the Tesla charge app thing worked, he put in a destination on the cars satnave and the car comes up with the route and tells you where the charge points are en route, it even tells you how long you would have to stop at each one (and how many charge points are in use at any one time) and it will adjust the route and charge times to make the journey faster. It is bloody clever and apparently it works however I don't think the normal "Plebs" electric cars have this sort of tech. But if you can charge it at home and only use it for short journeys the elctric car does make sense.
    Same for short haul delivery vehicles as long as you have the charging facilities "in house" milk floats were viable even with old fifties lead acid tech so they must work now (Having said that our local milkman has a diesel Transit)

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    if you really want to save the planet ?
    https://www.theswitchreport.com.au/t...ckwork-coming/

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydub View Post

No, just the other side of Corsham. And yes, he's got a Smartphone! I guess with all this if you want to make it work, because this is still early days, you'll plan everything out. In the same way as obtaining fuel in the early days of the internal combustion engine. I still think this is at the pioneering stage: these things cost a lot (the Tesla was Jaguar F Type money), we're not sure of what long term depreciation will look like, or what happens when it comes to battery replacement. As to DIY maintenance.................

11. Likes jaydub liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roscobb View Post
    I'm by no means a supporter of leccy vehicles and I'm at my happiest in something V8 powered.......but with Musk no saying that he will be bringing down the costs of electric vehicles to the $25000 region and charging technology is improving almost on a weekly basis with the potential of full re-charges happening within 10 minutes it could eventually work, kinda - for some people - not all. My company daily driver is a plug-in hybrid - its a great drive (for a modern car) smooth, quiet and hot hatchback type quick - not particularly economical on gas and I've only ever charged it at home a dozen times and it does genuinely work out about 50% of the cost per mile to use on battery and charge at home. I've never charged on a street meter - with the 'racked-up' rates the operators charge.
    With fewer and fewer people able to afford to live in houses where do charge points go in blocks of flats - one can visualise fights between neighbours over use of charge points can't you?
    The whole thing about electric vehicles is the ease of monitoring and controlling what we are all doing on a daily basis and the ability for governments to simply make lots of money with pay by mile usage and smart metering.

Why do you think theres a big push on smart meters
    IT'S NOT GETTING WHAT YOU WANT...IT'S WANTING WHAT YOUVE GOT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information