Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Official RnS Addict Hot Rod Widow's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

o/t building advise please

I was riding around today and noticed how so many are allowed to extend their houses and know of others that arnt allowed. Dont set me off on that but I was thinking of making the loft into a room for when my son comes home as his room is tiny, but it would mean putting the staircase in his room and still only be a 3 bedroom house. Just thought, would it be possible to put a "room" at the bottom of the garden like a prayer house that so many have, there is already a garage there that is quite big so that could come down and then put a room the whole width of the garden, does anyone know how much a building like that would cost and how big you can go?

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict falfasrevenge's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    If you use a folding ladder loft area is still classed as storage area,

http://www.midlandladders.com/produc...er-177-54.html

or similar.
    Have completed several "storage rooms" like this complete with Velux windows and saniflow toilets.Amazing how much "storage space" is available up there.
    F**k the Circus !!!!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I did think of something like this too as saw something similar in Costco but didnt realise you can have a Velux window in it as it is really big up there, so could do both and then we all have a big room to go to when we not talking ......

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    They've relaxed a lot of planning since last year,loft conversions don't need planning permission now (just a few guide lines)
    Just go careful if your building any thing within 5 metres from footpaths etc.

They are now making the money back by charging planning for drives

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Loft 'extensions' still can need planning permission. All domestic properties have PDR (Permitted development rights) I am not clued up on the current maximum Sq M allowed but if the building has not been structurally altered from new PDR applies where planning permission is not needed (certain critereas have to be met).
    Building regs approval always is needed. Most Local authorities will not give planning consent for already extended properties. Quite a few times we have demolished extensions, then done loft conversions under PDR and then applied for planning to rebuild the extension. A rough guide for a loft conversion would be £15-25 grand
    Last edited by great68; 13-05-2009 at 22:11.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Official RnS Addict falfasrevenge's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Was told by building inspector that as the stairs/steps were folding and not a perminant stairway then could not be classed as a conversion.This would then not make a differance on the implecactions on council tax banding.
    F**k the Circus !!!!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all your advise I think I will contact the planning dept and get them to come down and discuss my options that way it will all be in order.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rod Widow View Post
    Thanks for all your advise I think I will contact the planning dept and get them to come down and discuss my options that way it will all be in order.
    I doubt that will happen, you will probably have to visit them. Most planning departments have an weekly open day where you turn up and wait in line to have a chat with one of them. Make some rough sketches and take a few measurements including the neighbours property, maybe a few pics as well. Then phone first.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by great68 View Post
    I doubt that will happen, you will probably have to visit them. Most planning departments have an weekly open day where you turn up and wait in line to have a chat with one of them. Make some rough sketches and take a few measurements including the neighbours property, maybe a few pics as well. Then phone first.
    As above.

I had a dispute with my neighbour and when the building control officer came down he spotted a change I had made to the perimeter fence. I'd extended the height to 2mtr, which is what I read the regs as the permitted height without planning permission. Even though it was not part of the compaint he told me to take the modification down. When I asked what was allowed he said he couldn't tell me only what wasnt allowed and to look at the regs and work from there. Not very helpful but in a way telling me something could be done. Since found out that I could, and have, built a fence within the boundary to 2mtr. The regs said a fence / wall adjacent to a highway couldn't be any higher than 1mtr. Now because my new fence is adjacent to the boundary and not tha boundary I can have it at 2mtrs. very minute detail but makes all the difference.

Anyway a bit longwinded but what I want to say is look at and read your local planning regs.

Hope this helps.

Jon
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information