+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Official RnS Addict UK RUSS 1960 OLDS's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Parts relay service

Hi All,

I have been thinking about something along these lines for a while now and when "paul Y" came up to my place yesterday to collect his bench seat discussed it with him and he suggested putting a thread up and gauge the response.

Obviously for some people getting the parts they need from one end of the country to the other can be expensive and problematical, so if we could find a way of listing drop off points which are reasonably accessable around the country with a view to very short term storage until they can be picked up for the next leg of their journey would this not be a good way forward for all of us in the long run ??

If there is enough interest and people with some form of storage (short term) that are willing to give this a go perhaps "Roadrunna" could put a sticky up for it.
    For me personnaly i think a phone number would be essential for the drop off points as i travel anywhere between 50K and 100K per annum but quite often have very little warning of where i will be from one hour to the next let alone knowing days in advance.

I do look at the relay requests quite often but it is surprising how many people dont put a contact number which i think would increase their chances of getting their parts moved more quickly and successfully.

I would be willing to be used as a drop point regardless of whether this idea takes off or not.

Regards.

Russ. 07762 - 747643.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.enigmaracing.co.uk

A work in progress....

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Magman View Post
    No unfortunately not like that as it doesnt work as well as it could. Hence the idea for drop off points that are reasonably accessable with the possibility of short term storage until someone else can pick the parts up and take them on the next leg of their journey.

Fox and Hounds had this posted up inthe relay threads

" Leighton Buzzard to Doncaster please?"
    "My pal Eddie Brown has very generously picked up a rather large pair of wheels/tyres for me, the thing is I'm struggling to get to Eddie's for a good while to collect them myself. Just wondered if anybody was doing this trip at all in the near future???
    Thanks."

For example someone going from/through Leighton Buzzard to say Wisbeach could drop the parts with me in Huntingdon as it would be on route and a day or two or even a week later someone going say London to Doncaster could collect from Huntingdon on route again, it would take a little bit of effort to tie up the logistics but it is quite feasible with a little forsight.

All that is required is a number of places dotted around the country with a contactable phone number that are willing to participate and it could work quite well.

Cheers.

Russ.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aah I see, parts relay with extra storage. Get the delivery done in stages and there's more chance of finding someone who can help as getting someone who hapens to be going exactly A to B is less likely.

We do a similar sort of thing over on NoSkool, a lot of the guys live up north so we either collect the bits down here for them or around the other way and store them inbetween.

Excuse for me being a little slow and missing your original point!

A work in progress....

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Magman View Post
    Aah I see, parts relay with extra storage. Get the delivery done in stages and there's more chance of finding someone who can help as getting someone who hapens to be going exactly A to B is less likely.

We do a similar sort of thing over on NoSkool, a lot of the guys live up north so we either collect the bits down here for them or around the other way and store them inbetween.

Hi Magman,

Exactly that, as you just said the chances of getting the exact journey you want are slim but split into stages could work well and you could even have people doubling up ie dropping something with you and picking something up at the same time.

I have been PMing "Roadrunna" behind the scenes regarding this thread and i think once he has sorted out the privacy side of things he may well be along to offer a feasible way of doing this without anyone having to compromise themselves. There must have been many people that have passed up on items that are too big/heavy/long or whatever purely because the cost of collecting it didnt make economic sense.

Cheers.

Russ.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    good idea russ,maybe a map sticky with locations of storage points would be possible???

i will put myself up for this as i am near to j25 of the m1 (5mins)

The Oddlot Drag Racing Team...havin fun is usual
    57 bel air wagon
    540cui altered.
    your not drunk enough if you can lie on the floor without holding on..

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Torment View Post
    good idea russ,maybe a map sticky with locations of storage points would be possible???

i will put myself up for this as i am near to j25 of the m1 (5mins)

Hi Torment,

Good to have someone else on board. Hopefully if we can get a few more members interested from other areas of the country this could take off and make getting awkward or heavy items shifted around a lot more viable

Spoke to Si last night and he said if there is enough interest he would put a sticky up in a restricted area (to stop it being abused) and could divide it up into areas a bit like the idea he has for club meets which he is currently working on.

Cheers.

Russ.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blinding idea Russ. I travel around 55,000 miles a year in a small van & like you never know where I'm heading from one hour to the next. I could store stuff here short term, I'm five minutes from J4 of the M25 so a bit handy.

Al
    Last edited by Hemi Bucket; 12-10-2009 at 19:47.
    How'd the weekend go? Well, at the moment it looks like a dolphin that's been caught in a boats propeller.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Hi Al,

Well looks like we could have a drop point in the south east as well

If we can get a few more people from other areas looks like we can make a go of this.

Will try and give you a bell tomorrow.

Cheers.

Russ. 07762 - 747643.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 5 minutes from J13 and 10 from J14 M1 in Milton Keynes, I have some space in my lock up for parts...can't do complete cars though!

Si, if this takes off you can pm me for a contact number and add me to the list.

A work in progress....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information