Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  116
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pendine racing

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Pendine racing

Just got back from the VHRA racing on the beach at Pendine sands, I set out at 6.15 this morning and I'm back home at 1.00pm. In past years the cars have all collected in the car park and the grass banks prior to going to the enclosed pit area on the beach. However, this year there's building work going on there, so the cars went straight onto the beach and into the pit area. Pit pass tickets sold out ages ago, so unless you have one you can't get close up to the cars to look them over.

Quite why they didn't park the cars on the beach for the public to view them, just as they did when parked in the car park and grass banks, and then prior to the racing put them in the put area as they have done in previous years, I can't understand. Pendine sands obviously see this racing as a way of making revenue for the village and it's local businesses and caravan parks. However, if people can't actually see the cars up closely, then numbers will surely dwindle and may affect the local councils decision to allow the racing to continue. Would you travel hundreds of miles like a lot of people did, to just stand quite a distance from the "track" just to watch cars run one at a time? I'm sure most of us would like to see the cars up close too, just as you could at Shakey and the Pod.

I know of a number of people that went down Friday and have booked to stay there for the weekend, to say they were all annoyed about this would be a major understatement, as they couldnt get pit passes as they'd sold out but assumed they would at least be able to get close to the cars as in years gone by.

I'm sure others will disagree with me, but having spent a few hours driving to get there and taking friends with me who were all disappointed, not to mention the fuel costs, I feel bitterly disappointed having got there at 8.40 I still didn't get to see many cars.

Moral of the story is, if you want to see the cars but don't have a pit pass, don't waste your time and money
    Last edited by evilzee28; 15-06-2019 at 12:46.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm trying to bite my tongue here because you're being totally unfair and bitter about the event just because it didn't suit you, and you're giving no rational thought to what goes into organising the event or the situation this year due to the building of the new museum, but as all of the organisers are still on the sand with minimal signal I will take it on.

Firstly, you can't buy pit passes unless you're in the VHRA or know somebody that is, and even then they are sold out within two days of the event dates being announced. You will get some being offered about nearer the time as people drop out but again they are offered to club members not the general public. It's always been that way, and always will be that way.

Nobody ever organised the parking outside the museum, it is just where people congregated ready for the debriefing while waiting for access to the beach, trying to replicate that on the vast public beach would just be a logistical nightmare and quite frankly the organisers have got better things to be doing first thing in the morning, like clearing the track of debris, setting up the timing equipment, erecting all of the safety fencing, as believe it or not once the beach is given over to the VHRA it is a motorsport venue and has to follow rules and guidelines, its not just people dicking about in cars you know!

If anybody is annoyed at not seeing the cars up close then I suggest they go for a walk around the village as 95% of them will be parked up outside a caravan or pub somewhere.

I doubt I'm speaking out of turn here but I very much doubt the council, business owners, or residents of Pendine are disappointed with the amount of people that turn up every year for the racing, in fact it was the councils idea to restart the racing 7 years ago, it will continue as long as there is a demand for it by racers, or heaven forbid a serious incident on the beach.

I know people who travel 6 hours to get there every year without pit passes but still enjoy the event and keep returning year after year.

How close to the track did you want to be?
    How close to a 100+ mph car driving on sand did you want to be?
    How many cars side by side should they be running?

4. LikesMikey, 45bobber, VHRA, magneto, 55zephyr liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Spent time replying to each point raised and lost it.

**** it, I'm not writing it all out again, it was a **** poor day, drove for hours to watch slow cars on a bit of sand. No forethought from the organisers who could have at least just asked the drivers to park on the sand, just as they'd congregated in the car park in previous years. That way it would be more of a spectacle for the public and those enthusiasts that had traveled to see the cars. I realise it's probably not about the spectators, its a VHRA event for their members and it's probably of no concern to the members if the public get to see their cars up close or not and in all honesty, why should they care?? Just being able to watch the cars "racing" on the sand is as boring as watching cars drive on the M4 from a spectator point of view.

Anyone even contemplating going to see this, if you're expecting to see the cars up close, don't waste your time and fuel money as you won't get to see very many cars, total waste of time.

Let the slagging off commence!!! but that's how it felt to me and an awful lot of others that I know who attended
    Last edited by evilzee28; 15-06-2019 at 17:27.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by evilzee28 View Post
    No forethought from the organisers who could have at least just asked the drivers to park on the sand, just as they'd congregated in the car park in previous years.
    I've already explained the reason for this, did you not bother to read it?
    It's a temporary race track that needs setting up and tearing down each day and can only be done once the beach is handed over for racing, everything is done by the VHRA, the East Coast Sidewinders, and any volunteers that are willing to help get the place ready for racing, the sooner it's set up the sooner racing can get underway. It's not a car show, it's a serious motorsport event.
    And when the track is closed for the day everything has to be packed up and cleared off the beach before the tide comes in, again this wouldn't even happen if it wasn't for volunteers.
    Did you offer to help or were you just there for a free day out?

Just being able to watch the cars "racing" on the sand is as boring as watching cars drive on the M4 from a spectator point of view.
    You mentioned drag racing in your first post yet apparently watching cars doing over 100mph on sand is boring. I'll put that down to your bitterness and suggest the event just isn't for you.

that's how it felt to me and an awful lot of others that I know who attended
    Did you do a survey? It's a hugely successful, award winning event that is in its seventh year, tell me how many people weren't happy today and I'll give you 5x, no make it 10x as many that say it's a must-do event every year.

The only difference this year is the building site for the new museum has caused a few changes, Pendine isn't the biggest of villages so when a couple of hundred Hot Rods and a few thousand people descend on it for a weekend then space becomes a premium, add into this a group of volunteers trying to follow guidelines imposed by governing bodys to host a motorsport event then I defy you to do a better job.

As a spectator it's a free event, you didn't even have to pay to watch it but you're still slagging it off as if it wasn't worth the money!
    It's simple, get over it and don't go again.
    Last edited by WagonMan; 15-06-2019 at 18:59.

7. Likes28Chevy, Mikey, Torment, 45bobber, VHRA liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonMan View Post
    I've already explained the reason for this, did you not bother to read it?
    It's a temporary race track that needs setting up and tearing down each day and can only be done once the beach is handed over for racing, everything is done by the VHRA, the East Coast Sidewinders, and any volunteers that are willing to help get the place ready for racing, the sooner it's set up the sooner racing can get underway. It's not a car show, it's a serious motorsport event.
    And when the track is closed for the day everything has to be packed up and cleared off the beach before the tide comes in, again this wouldn't even happen if it wasn't for volunteers.
    Did you offer to help or were you just there for a free day out?

You mentioned drag racing in your first post yet apparently watching cars doing over 100mph on sand is boring. I'll put that down to your bitterness and suggest the event just isn't for you.

Did you do a survey? It's a hugely successful, award winning event that is in its seventh year, tell me how many people weren't happy today and I'll give you 5x, no make it 10x as many that say it's a must-do event every year.

The only difference this year is the building site for the new museum has caused a few changes, Pendine isn't the biggest of villages so when a couple of hundred Hot Rods and a few thousand people descend on it for a weekend then space becomes a premium, add into this a group of volunteers trying to follow guidelines imposed by governing bodys to host a motorsport event then I defy you to do a better job.

As a spectator it's a free event, you didn't even have to pay to watch it but you're still slagging it off as if it wasn't worth the money!
    It's simple, get over it and don't go again.
    Listen, you're obviously not getting this, we traveled a long way to look at the cars, did I get to see them...No!!, did anyone else without a pit pass get to see them?? ....No!! Would I recommend this to anyone else as a must see event??.....No!!, Am I interested in watching them drive on the sand?? ...No!! do I give a **** about your thoughts or opinions??....absolutely not!!.... you're obviously biased and as such can't take any criticism, even if it's constructive as it was intended in my first post, do I care??....Not in the slightest, as they were my opinions and thoughts and don't care what you or anyone else has to say on this matter, it's MY opinion, to which I'm entitled. Will I and my mates go again??....No!! you gotta be kidding. That's it for me on this matter, have a good life

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Listen, you're obviously not getting this, we traveled a long way to look at the cars, did I get to see them...No!!, did anyone else without a pit pass get to see them?? ....No!! Would I recommend this to anyone else as a must see event??.....No!!, Am I interested in watching them drive on the sand?? ...No!! do I give a **** about your thoughts or opinions??....absolutely not!!.... you're obviously biased and as such can't take any criticism, even if it's constructive as it was intended in my first post, do I care??....Not in the slightest, as they were my opinions and thoughts and don't care what you or anyone else has to say on this matter, it's MY opinion, to which I'm entitled. Will I and my mates go again??....No!! you gotta be kidding. That's it for me on this matter, have a good life
    I'm not biased, I just have an opinion, which like you I'm entitled to, just because it's different from yours doesn't make me right, but neither does it make me wrong.
    I offered you a look at things from the other side but you were too busy snivelling like a spoilt brat even though you're old enough to know better. You weren't being constructive, you were just slagging it off.
    The people of Pendine are gutted you won't be back!

10. LikesMikey, VHRA, Hotrodfil liked this post
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie Austin Martin's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just to clarify, if you were a member of the VHRA could you spectate on the beach, or would you still need a pit pass? membership is only £20 so compared to the cost of fuel (to get there) would be insignificant.
    Just a passer by as you might say.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think to be a member of the vhra , you have to have a hotrod, that is a period hotrod, its not like say, the mk2 consul owners club, where you only have to like or have an interest in the type of vehicle to join the club

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Martin View Post
    Just to clarify, if you were a member of the VHRA could you spectate on the beach, or would you still need a pit pass? membership is only £20 so compared to the cost of fuel (to get there) would be insignificant.
    Absolutely anybody can spectate on the beach, and as it's a public space it's totally free, the pits have to be fenced off for health and safety reasons (moving vehicles, risk of accidents etc) and access to them can only be gained with a pass which you apply for through the VHRA, for H&S reasons the numbers are limited so they get snapped up as soon as the dates are announced.

You can only become a member of the VHRA if you own or are building an eligible vehicle so you couldn't join just to get passes, but there is nothing to stop you obtaining passes via another member.
    Access to the pit area is not 'members only' it's 'pass holders only'.

14. LikesVHRA, 55zephyr liked this post
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I drove 80 miles to Santa pod and was then told I could only see the cars from the grand stand, I’d be well ****ed.

I’ve not been to see any beach racing yet, and Pendine is a five hour drive from me, so I doubt I will bother going now if you can’t actually get close to the cars for a look around them. I never actually knew about the pit pass scenario either, assumed it was like drag racing.
    Never make the mistake of thinking that the rut you're in is really a groove.

16. Likesevilzee28 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information