Forgot your username?

Likes Likes: †116
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Pendine racing

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    This doesnít appear to make a great deal of sense - in all the photos Iíve seen from this weekend, yes the competitorsí cars in are in zoned off section, but there are 2x or 3x as many non-racing cars parked on the beach.

Not to mention the 100s of photos Iíve seen of hotrods out and about in the villages and caravan park.

Canít wait to go next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. LikesVHRA liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reading another forum it seems that if you'd have waited, all racing was cancelled later on and the barriers removed

5. Likesscratch liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you'll find it's a participants' event. The fact that there is free public access to areas around the course is a bonus for spectating, but not why the event is put on.
    Screw EU

7. LikesVHRA, magneto, Hotrodfil, 55zephyr liked this post
    Official RnS Addict wakesupremo's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i travelled 8 hours with my family to go to the first VHRA Pendine races years ago. I thought the VHRA 'officials' were all a bunch of stuck up their own arses ****ers. Not one of them could be bothered with the public as if we were mere mortals. Never been back and never intend to. even the VHRA at santa pod last year, a few of the owners/drivers would have a chat but the main officers walked around as if they owned the place.
    If it's got tits or tyres, its gonna be trouble

9. Likesevilzee28 liked this post
    Official RnS Addict Bel Air Lugosi's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Come to Race the waves in Bridlington instead. Thats my advice.
    If its low n black n shiny n sparkley n loud n spitting fire....... It's probably mine.
    [email protected]
    www.whitbykustom.com
    http://www.facebook.com/whitbykustompaul

11. Likesscottie liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wakesupremo View Post
    i travelled 8 hours with my family to go to the first VHRA Pendine races years ago. I thought the VHRA 'officials' were all a bunch of stuck up their own arses ****ers. Not one of them could be bothered with the public as if we were mere mortals. Never been back and never intend to. even the VHRA at santa pod last year, a few of the owners/drivers would have a chat but the main officers walked around as if they owned the place.
    Sounds like the MG Car club

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo56 View Post
    Sounds like the MG Car club
    Sounds like most car clubs...
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups....

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Been reading this thread with interest. Never been to Pendine, but know that Parry Thomas died there in 'Babs' in 1927, the car being buried and then more recently exhumed. l used to work with with a very affable chap who was a member of the MG Car Club (and later became chairman) who used to chase obscure records there in his MG J2, by doing things like reducing the capacity by taking out conrods. Just looked up VHRA, it looks massive fun, but because it's only eligible to pre-'49 American cars, reminds me a little of the VSCC, that also has strict eligibility rules. In other words, pretty exclusive.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie Austin Martin's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds a bit like the TR4 thing, where they offered a piston and liner kit in case you wanted to compete in the under 2 litre class!
    Just a passer by as you might say.

of the Croydon Teds Nigel Incubator-Jones's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can see why people might be disappointed, because it is very unusual to be able to attend a motorsport event and not be able to view the cars in the paddock. All of the events I can recall going to - American Speedfest, Motorsport at the Palace, Brooklands Double Twelve, VSCC Brooklands Driving Tests, Goodwood Members' Meeting and the Brighton Speed Trials - allow all visitors unlimited access to the paddock, so it would be easy to turn up at the Pendine races based on that assumption. It's also quite an unusual that an event as exclusive as Pendine should have become nationally famous, so again it would be easy to assume that it might be more accommodating of the general public.

Of course, it would be foolish to travel all the way to Pendine based on an assumption, though, would it not? That's why the VHRA put all the necessary information here, so they're not culpable for any misunderstanding: Pendine Sands

As I say, I can see the reasons why misunderstandings would arise, but at the end of the day the VHRA put everything straight on that webpage so the best thing would be for the OP to admit that he hadn't done his homework properly and just accept that the Pendine races aren't for him.

In my own opinion, it wouldn't be worth travelling from my home to Pendine just to see the racing from the distance afforded to the general public. However, I was lucky enough to be given a pit pass and with that I found it a hugely enjoyable event with an unsurpassed atmosphere.
    Wanted! Back issues of Street Machine, American Car World/American Car and Classic American. Please PM.

17. Likesredoxide liked this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information