Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Replica ruling

3K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  redoxide 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Seems rather petty and harsh. Is it because JLR want to build their own replicas?

This copyright thing is well enforced eg at a low level try looking for a Triumph motorcycle T shirt with the Triumph logo that isn't from an official Triumph site.

Could Ford come after somebody for building a glass Model B Roadster? I know it's modified, but it's their shape.

#3 ·
Unless it was an exact 100% copy,every screw,nut and bolt and using all original parts I cannot possibly see how they won the case?? Obviously money talks if their legal bill is that high. I just hope every car enthusiast into jaguar and Land Rover avoids them now but I cannot see that in reality,they are bit of a different breed!!

#5 ·
There is another side...
From a statement by JLR:
“Despite assertions in the Creare News Release, Jaguar Land Rover is not going after private owners of pre-existing individual replica vehicles, nor insisting upon the destruction of their vehicles. However, we will take action to enforce our rights against businesses using our IP illegally for their own profit. The defendants in this case had started a business to build and sell six Jaguar C-type replicas for over Euros 250 thousand each. Action to protect our IP has been very much aimed at the commercial replica manufacturers, people aiming to build and sell replicas as a business infringing our copyright and trademarks.”

#13 ·
Firstly Jaguar shouldn't be part of Land Rover, as they have no commonality, and secondly they shouldn't have been sold over seas, and the British govt should have stopped that; the pathetic piece of crap they are now selling as a "Defender" couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, and the Free loader the became the Ebroque is a complete waste of money (don't ask me how I know that)

A big thing on the telly a while back about Jaguar building the lost cars, all hand made and totally original, except they weren't all hand made at Jaguar, or for that matter totally original; as they cant even build an accurate replica of their "own car", I don't see how they have a case with regards to someone else, and as for intellectual property, well the Indians (or for that matter Fords before them) only bought the name with the intention of building completely new cars, not a continuation of the (at that time) current range (beyond the point that a new model could be introduced) much like the BMW mini .

#15 ·
I provided Dust Extraction Kit to Browns Lane when they were building the E types to use up the Vin numbers......from memory I think that were 12 built with numbers but a 13th was built so they could learn how to build them.....supposed to be true replicas but when I asked if the fixings were Metric the answer was rather muffled !.......Bonnets came from a pressings company in the North East who still display one in their reception area...

Another piece of useless info is that when I went to Browns Lane there was a film crew recording Rimmer from Red Dwarf fame driving a C type around area that had just been delivered on a trailer.......was it real ?

#21 ·
The Aston Martin continuation DB5 James Bond cars that were never intended to be used on the road , well a outside firm is getting them through all reqd tests to make them legal . Biggest hurdle seems to be getting triple 45 dcoe Weber’s to run clean enough with catalytic converters .

#24 · (Edited)
basically its business as usual for hobby builders or even folk that pay to have them built so long as you dont set yourself up as what amounts to a manufacturer. As mr Magnusson was intending .

You can still build your own . Same as always .

Ive had a hand in a few of these "replica" Jags One being a C type and another two being the D type . All of these bodies came from a company in Poland, all hand made to a price that undercuts the UK producers of these bodies by a HUGE amount .

Both D typs were side by side and not 2 dimensions were similar between the two cars , I didt have a genuine D type to compare them to but safe to say they simply "looked" like the outline shape of a Dtype , and followed a build type along the lines of a Dtype But the only folk that really called them a D type was the owner and anyone else that recognised the shape .

most of them are either Mk 2 jags or in rare cases XJ Jags .. or whatever jag log book was available at the time ..lol

People pay big money for these things , I know one of the ones I worked on sold for well over £100k .

Like the responce from TaTa said , they aint chasing small builders but they aint allowing folk to capitalise on using the name for volume builds ..

He should have called it The Magnusson vitamin C, tata wouldn't have a leg to stand on .

#25 ·
Interesting point though that the press release was factual and true, ie. not made up internet shit, but the content was out of context so it gave a very different understanding of what actually happened. Even down to setting up a Go fund Me page so the pensioners could pay their legal costs and not lose their house.

I thought I was too old to be so easily suckered....... (no I didn't send any money). :)

#27 ·
The originals of these cars are so expensive, folk will settle for a replica, and as redoxide says that can be over £100K. Nick Mason lives locally and has an open day at his house most years for local charities. An affable bloke, he puts a lot of his cars out in the grounds, so kids can put sticky fingers all over his £2M Ferrari etc! Quite interesting looking at his original D Type at close quarters, in that it's relatively small and looks almost home built. Lovely thing, and phenomenal performance for the day.

#28 ·
The originals of these cars are so expensive, folk will settle for a replica, and as redoxide says that can be over £100K. Nick Mason lives locally and has an open day at his house most years for local charities. An affable bloke, he puts a lot of his cars out in the grounds, so kids can put sticky fingers all over his £2M Ferrari etc! Quite interesting looking at his original D Type at close quarters, in th
at it's relatively small and looks almost home built. Lovely thing, and phenomenal performance for the day.
A couple of years ago they had a race with just D-types racing at Goodwood, someone said it was the most expensive starting grid in history
I did a track day in a replica D-type once even though it wasn't the real McCoy it was a great drive.

#29 ·
Some of the "Replicas " are fantastic. There is one that was in the workshop with the other two I mentioned , It was built back in the 70s by a Ford engineer from original plans and was as close to the "real" thing as you could get with the offset engine and full dry sump set up faitfully reproduced . That car was for all intent and purpose a D type .. Built in exactly the same way, from the same plans as the originals. That car was bought for close to £250k, but it has good history with full provenance Its still a quarter of a mil for a replica though.. but probably the best you could buy. The ones I was working on were just the "shape" of a D type . They had all the rivits and such but the doors were wider, the spare carrier was to big and the seat tub was all wrong, so hardly even a replica , just an outline of the design.. so something like that, could it be classed as pirating the original? Riviting a car body together isnt a feature reserved for Jaguars, neither is a swoopy shape .. Calling them D types is the problem ..

Why didn't companies like JLR simply upgrade the spec of the reproductions they had built ( JLR didn't make the bodies for there short run, a UK coachbuilder did them..) and make them compliant so they could pass modern spec .. answer is they were stuck. They are a major manufacturer and would have had to crash test and spec all the components , they couldn't even go for IVA because of there place as a major vehicle producer .. They couldn't even loophole it and get a small builder to build them as they were still the customer .. I wonder if they thought about it at the time and if the fella that come up with the idea still works for them ?

#30 ·
They could use the small volume part of the IVA as would be used for homologation of rally cars etc , that magic 500 number . The drawback would be that the engine used would have to meet modern Emiassion specs . Thatas why TVR had to come up with their own engine instead of sticking with the Rover V8 base.

#31 ·
There was a guy on Facebook in the US that was building an Eleanor replica based on a new shape mustang. The owner of the Eleanor name come after him through the courts and successfully argued that any mustang with that name is an infringement of their rights and took the car half built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#32 ·
If you’ve seen the new Ineos ‘Defender’ look alike, you may see where all this JLR ruling is going.
But copyright laws are long and detailed, but it all comes down to : ‘in whole, or in part’. No matter how you change a design, if it still looks like the car it is copied from, that is still copyright infringement. It all comes down to money, and whoever has the most wins !

#33 ·
If thats the case China must be in for a kicking .. For diesel cab heaters alone .. and ebay should get hammered for providing the means for selling them.. Eberspaecher must be feeling the pinch with all these £80 cab heaters on the market.. and great they are as well:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.